• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Custom skin/model and serverperks ini HELP

hyru99

Apr 28, 2013
Okay hopefully I post this in the right area of the forums, if not I apologize. And let me try to explain my circumstance and ask my question.

Alright I want to add custom models and skins to my offline/online gameplay. (Before I go into detail, I want to stress that this question/problem is about the custom characters NOT showing up at all when I load the game.)

Alright I will use the "Green Lantern" custom skin you can get off of the steam workshop as an example. Before I even subscribed to download, I made sure i downloaded the ServerPerks dealio from Tripwire forums, and not the Steam. I installed the zip to my system folder, so all the files are in the system folder. I have 8 files now from the ServerPerk zip in there. I locate my ini file and open it. I then proceed to download the Green Lantern skin from the workshop. It downloads successfully apparently because I can see the files are now in my system folder. I add the Custom character line:
CustomCharacters=GreenLantern.GreenLant
at the very end of the ini file. I save it and close it. Then I restart Killing floor and try to change my character, but Green Lantern doesn't even show up.

Green Lantern was just an example. I have tried downloading countless skins/models and they all say to add CustomCharacters=<name> and I do. But for some reason I am not doing something right because I have identified the problem is with the ini and the game but what the problem is I have no clue. I managed to drag and drop a few custom character that do no require you to use the CustomCharacter line in the ini or the ini file at all. They were the girl anime characters you can get off of steam workshop AND I managed to successfuly install the "Doomguy" custom skin without adding the CustomCharacter line. The Doomguy I just downloaded a manual install and not from steam and the model showed up.

Its really weird though, the majority I try to install and the ones you need to add a "CustomCharacter" line to the ini don't work. In fact I tried an experiment and removed the ini completely from the system folder and the custom skins/models like Doomguy and the Anime girls STILL function and they don't seem to replace any existing models like Corp Lewis. I did not have to overwrite Corp lewis for Doomguy to work.

Anyway sorry for long question, but can someone help me please. I am new to Killing floor and how mods work in the game.

I managed to successfuly install the "Doomguy" custom skin without adding the CustomCharacter line. The Doomguy I just downloaded a manual install and not from steam and the model showed up.

...the custom skins/models like Doomguy and the Anime girls STILL function and they don't seem to replace any existing models like Corp Lewis. I did not have to overwrite Corp lewis for Doomguy to work.

Did you get that Doomguy one from the mediafire links in the desc. of Steam Workshop: [url]http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=124568186[/URL]
?

If so, I made those client-side versions, and they do replace stock characters.
They replace "London's Finest" Character Pack.
One of the downloads allows perk progression because it doesn't include the custom hands, but both are client-side.

Upvote 0
ok

ok

Okay the 8 files I mentioned are
ServerPerks.ini
ServerPerks.int
ServerPerks.u
ServerPerksMut.int
ServerPerksMut.u
ServerPerksMut.ucl
ServerPerksP.int
ServerPerksP.u

I thought I would mention I put 8 files in the system folder just to make sure I wasn't missing anything. And I opened up the ServerPerks.ini file and adding the CustomCharacter<name> line to the end of the file. But having no success on getting the characters to show. Perhaps I am doing something wrong like I said.

As far as the Anime chicks and the Doomguy goes, I did realize yesterday while playing that they do both in fact replace characters. LOL I didn't know this probably because the characters replaced rarely anyone plays online on the server I play on that is.

So yea the outcome for me is that my problem is I can only get certain characters to work if they obviously replace the character completely. So am I doing something wrong, am I missing a step with getting people to show up?

The only instal instructions I get for alot of the custom characters is just place the file appropriately then add the CustomCharacter line in the ini, but that doesn't work even offline.

Upvote 0
As far as the Anime chicks and the Doomguy goes, I did realize yesterday while playing that they do both in fact replace characters. LOL I didn't know this probably because the characters replaced rarely anyone plays online on the server I play on that is.
Thats call client side, it means you the client have said reskins on your side only.

Well when i place characters i put them between weapons and the smilely text.
Code:
WeaponCategories=LMGs
WeaponCategories=Others
WeaponCategories=Sentrys
*Cut*
CustomCharacters=Deadpool
CustomCharacters=IGCPony
CustomCharacters=MikuChan
CustomCharacters=MarauderDTSkin.MarauderDTSkin
CustomCharacters=Singularity_KathrynDTSkin.Kathryn
CustomCharacters=Jackolantern
CustomCharacters=KFStig
CustomCharacters=KFARGGirlAA
CustomCharacters=Homefront_RiannaDTSkin.Rianna
CustomCharacters=FrankDTSkin.Frank
SmileyTags=(iconTexture="ServerPerks.I_Mad",IconTag=">:(",bCaseInsensitive=False)
Also not only i have to have this in Serverperks.ini, i also have to paste this into Serverperksv6.ini in order for any of this to work :/ I dont know, maybe i ****ed up my ****.

Upvote 0
what is Serverperksv6.ini?

what is Serverperksv6.ini?

Ok I tried pasting the CustomCharacters.<name> between weapons and smilely but doesn't seem to work. :mad:

What is Serverperksv6.ini? Do I have to have that file as well? I have only ServerPerks.ini. I am begining to get really paranoid now, wondering if I am missing a file or something?

Thanks for responding everyone I really appreciate it. Anymore help would be great, would really love to use some custom characters.

Upvote 0
Skins come in a few ways I have seen...
skin.upl which is just a file to drop into the system folder

skin.mut which is a mutator that must be run to include the skin

skin.uc which is the class file to be used with a compile of the code to end up inside a mutator or mod ( eg. modName.Skin or FrankDTSkin.Frank )

All of these formats may or may not have additional files included such as animations, textures, and sounds.

Chances are you are missing the other files or you are not calling them correctly. If you are running a separate mutator to have the skin you still need to reference it like is done with Frank: FrankDTSkin.Frank

If that is not it, I have seen delays in custom skins being shown in the skin selection menu. As in... join, go to change character, see standard characters only... then leave menu, go back to change character, then see custom characters.

Upvote 0
test

test

Okay let me see if I can select a particular skin I want to get working which can narrow down if my files and text and all that is going into the correct places.

I want to get the Stealth~Operation Y skin model working. I saw someone on the server I am usually on have that skin. I downloaded the skin and extracted the contents. The contents included folders with 1 file each and a txt file.

Animations folder
-----StealthDT_A.ukx

System folder
-----Stealth.u

Textures folder
-----StealthDT_T.utx

Stealth.txt
All the text stats is this:

CustomCharacters=Stealth.Stealth
SelectedChar=Stealth.Stealth

So what I have done is extract all the files to the appropriate folders. And added CustomCharacters=Stealth.Stealth to the ServerPerks.ini.

One thing I am not sure tho is where do I add the line: SelectedChar=Stealth.Stealth?

What steps am I missing with this particular skin.

I also had a small question also about custom skins while playing online. Does the Server you play on HAVE to have the custom character you want to play or can you upload it while joining or something?

Upvote 0
One thing I am not sure tho is where do I add the line: SelectedChar=Stealth.Stealth?
-----
I also had a small question also about custom skins while playing online. Does the Server you play on HAVE to have the custom character you want to play or can you upload it while joining or something?

The 2nd line is for the outdated version of a Custom Chacter enabler, ignore it.
The modded server has to have serverperks and also must have characters down just like how you would do on solo. You are the client you do nothing bt join, the host is the one that sets things up.

Upvote 0
okay

okay

Okay, well the game still does not recognize any of the custom characters I put in at all. There are numerous people I see using custom characters on my typical server I play on and I even tried downloading these models myself and placing them in their proper directories. Then adding the customcharacters line to the ini. They never show up when I try to change my character on the server. Does anyone have ANY idea what I may be doing wrong?

Like I posted earlier with the Stealth custom character?

Upvote 0