• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Curtis got Slapped by a White Teacher

You can call it barbaric all you want, but 50 years ago, when corporal punishment in schools was a far more common event, kids actually learned in school, instead of simply having their self-esteem reinforced.

You saying im not learning at school? you mad!!

Im about to finish my 2nd degree, my twin is doing phD . .

But I guess cause we never took beating means we are dumb.

IS2 works through fear. Teaching should be the same way. :IS2:

Upvote 0
You saying im not learning at school? you mad!!

Im about to finish my 2nd degree, my twin is doing phD . .

But I guess cause we never took beating means we are dumb.

IS2 works through fear. Teaching should be the same way. :IS2:

Hey, I'm working on my doctorate right now myself.

But if you're at the age to be doing that, then you went through elementary school quite some time back. My wife was a high school teacher for a few years, until she got so fed up with the situation that she went to work in a different part of the education system, where students pay to be there because they want to be.

Also, if you're working on your doctorate, it means that in spite of the system, you still learned something in school, and discovered that you had a love of learning. Chances are good that this didn't come about through the government's efforts at teaching you. It probably had something to do with the way you were raised. Teaching you exactly what you need - no more, no less - to pass a series of tests is not the best way to do that. Here in California, they might as well just teach kids to memorize by rote 'A ... D ... D... C... A... B...' etc., so that they can all get a perfect score on the evaluations.

When your school prohibits the use of red ink for correcting homework, because the red color might damage a student's self-esteem, then there's a pretty serious problem with the system. That's just one for instance. We could come up with stuff all day long that has changed in the past 20 years or so, and for the worse.

Reactions: Merin Redplate
Upvote 0
Also, if you're working on your doctorate, it means that in spite of the system, you still learned something in school, and discovered that you had a love of learning. Chances are good that this didn't come about through the government's efforts at teaching you. It probably had something to do with the way you were raised.

Compared with what you learn at the university in terms of amount and usefulness you (or at least I) didn't learn much in school except for reading and some basic math and English.

Parents are certainly a factor but what is better than learning new things and finding out about stuff?

Upvote 0
Compared with what you learn at the university in terms of amount and usefulness you (or at least I) didn't learn much in school except for reading and some basic math and English.

Parents are certainly a factor but what is better than learning new things and finding out about stuff?

You have to start with that mindset, though, these days.

Most kids don't have any real concept of future consequences of their actions. We were all kids, we can all remember that the idea of being a grown up seemed sooooo far away.

Unless you have someone to give you immediate consequences as a child, let's face it, you're not that likely to put in the time and effort on your own to prepare for that future. Future consequences ... they're just too far away to be relevant, for most kids.

Upvote 0
You can call it barbaric all you want, but 50 years ago, when corporal punishment in schools was a far more common event, kids actually learned in school, instead of simply having their self-esteem reinforced.

They also had respect then. Besides myself and a few others, i hardly see students pay respect to anyone at my school. Some of these little... kids need to get pimp slapped IMO.

I would guess there was more discipline in our public schools back then.

But I don't think this child deserved a whack across the face for just tapping another kid on his back with his finger(s).

There are also many other ways to discipline children besides slapping or hitting them.

Yes, there are a plethora of ways to discipline children, though sometimes the little b@$tards deserve it.

Upvote 0
Well the fault is the parents and the school system. The school doesn't want to affect children in a negative way because if they did their parents will complain. Parents aren afraid something might happend to their little angel while children learn by falling and getting up again. Parents should realize they should let their children do stupid things, get hit when they do something bad, face the concequences. Only that way they will learn, not by going to school complaining to the principle because a teacher yelled at their son. Children are idiots and should be thought how to act by punishment when they did something bad and reward when they did something good, not by rewarding them when they did something good and say "bad boy" when they did something bad.

Reactions: Peter.Steele
Upvote 0
The whole incident which started this thread had nothing to do with the fact that the boy was slapped. And it is his mother's claim that he was struck, btw. (Which I doubt based upon the mother's over-the-top actions.) The issue the mother had was that he was slapped by a white woman. A teacher of the same ethinicity could have presumably cursed him, beat him and called him names and little Curtis would have been fine.....

This thread/story is getting far more attention than it warrants, imo.

Reactions: =GG= Mr Moe
Upvote 0
The whole incident which started this thread had nothing to do with the fact that the boy was slapped. And it is his mother's claim that he was struck, btw. (Which I doubt based upon the mother's over-the-top actions.) The issue the mother had was that he was slapped by a white woman. A teacher of the same ethinicity could have presumably cursed him, beat him and called him names and little Curtis would have been fine.....

This thread/story is getting far more attention than it warrants, imo.

dunno bout that, I think people in much of the "White" world are getting sick and tired of seing this kinda utter shyte. I know I am, just ask any canadian what they think about natives getting money from the governement, or muslim women not having to take off complete face coverings for drivers licences...

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
dunno bout that, I think people in much of the "White" world are getting sick and tired of seing this kinda utter shyte. I know I am, just ask any canadian what they think about natives getting money from the governement, or muslim women not having to take off complete face coverings for drivers licences...
dunno about what in particular? I'm confused. :confused:

Upvote 0