• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Crawlers, serously. WTF?

Top Secret

Jul 15, 2009
I'm not exactly sure what the statistical break-down is, but I seem to die from Crawlers more than anything else in this game. When everything goes to hell, it's the swarm of Crawlers that have me pinned in the corner that do me in. Whenever I see a Fleshpound, or a Scrake, I casually pull out my AA12 or my crossbow or what have you (assuming I didn't have a pipebomb already in place) and swiftly deal with them.

But what happens when both my guns are in need of reloading, and I find myself without grenades? Crawlers. Everywhere. Coming out of every hole in the ceiling (literally) and around every corner.

God damn.

Awesome game, BTW. ;)

I have two level 3's (Commando/Demo), three level 4's (Firebug, Bezerker, Medic) and 2 level 5's (Support/Sharpshooter).

I thought the exact same thing at first, and remarked on it all the time. I think on Normal difficulty they seem to be more threatening than other difficulties.

Crawlers kill people because they think they can outrun them. But they don't do as much damage as gorefast or stalker, regardless of your situation you really need to spend a precious second killing them even if you are trying to flee.

I think Gorefasts take their place on hard/suicidal, been so numerous, fast, high damaging and inconsistently impervious to shotgun blasts.

Anyway back to crawlers. A single 9mm does not kill them, if you are aiming at their pea sized head you are wasting time. I find the hand cannon is the best way to deal with them, because its 1 shot 1 kill regardless of where you hit them (compare this to using hand cannon against gorefasts). If there's a whole squad of crawlers and I have dualies its amazing how fast I'll put them down.

What does occasionally happen is crawlers spawn above you, drop down and get a lucky surround against you. On hard you could have full health but you will generally be dead by the time you switch to the appropriate weapon. Its quite unfair and worth walking around known crawler-drop-down spots.

Upvote 0
I thought the exact same thing at first, and remarked on it all the time. I think on Normal difficulty they seem to be more threatening than other difficulties.

Crawlers kill people because they think they can outrun them. But they don't do as much damage as gorefast or stalker, regardless of your situation you really need to spend a precious second killing them even if you are trying to flee.

I think Gorefasts take their place on hard/suicidal, been so numerous, fast, high damaging and inconsistently impervious to shotgun blasts.

Anyway back to crawlers. A single 9mm does not kill them, if you are aiming at their pea sized head you are wasting time. I find the hand cannon is the best way to deal with them, because its 1 shot 1 kill regardless of where you hit them (compare this to using hand cannon against gorefasts). If there's a whole squad of crawlers and I have dualies its amazing how fast I'll put them down.

What does occasionally happen is crawlers spawn above you, drop down and get a lucky surround against you. On hard you could have full health but you will generally be dead by the time you switch to the appropriate weapon. Its quite unfair and worth walking around known crawler-drop-down spots.
This! Crawlers are nothing but annoying and can be a pain in the *** with 200+ ping. But as you say on suicidal crawlers are not much of a problems, with gorefasts who can kill you in 2 hits (combohits) you've got worse problems.

Upvote 0

You can hear crawlers spawning noises. they are making that hissing sounds and after that they are jumping out of every possible hole in the map.

Upvote 0
The main problem of crawlers is the are FAST IMO.
If they are close enough, you cannot run away from them as they keep leaping on you, they keep hitting your back when you trying to run away from other specimens. In suicidal, if you are not carrying a knife and not being a medic, they are FASTER THEN YOU even they are just walking!

You need 4 hits of 9mm to kill one on suicidal, I always found them annoying as they spawn 5-6 together, and 9mm needs a year to kill them all.

So for now, I camp at their spawn point and try to kill some of them right after the wave starts, but I still found them near the end of the wave... it seems you will never kill them all...

Upvote 0
Once it moves onwards to Hard/Suicidal, Gorefasts do more damage, move almost as fast, and can take far more hits than Crawlers, so they kinda replace them

But Crawlers are nothing to sneeze at. With armor, they barely scratch you, but without armor, but on Hard they can do ~20 damage in a single hit with their leap attack...THEN immediately attack you again with a ~10 damage bite the second they hit the ground. Multiply that by 3 or 4 crawlers, add-in the fact that if you're without armor, you might not be in the best of health and...'X has been eaten by a Crawler' is common...

The anti-crawers are Commandos (Especially with the SCAR or AK), Firebugs (They last about .1 seconds in flames) and Sharpshooters (With the Lever Action or M-14), as they can pick them off with a single shot and still have ammo in the gun to pick off a second, third, fourth, ect...

They're most effective against Supports (Shotguns have terrible firing rates against them and 1 shell/1 crawler is a bad ammo tradeoff!), Demomen (If they get close), and Berserkers (Especially if they don't have any room to dodge their leaps)

They, in addition to Husks and Sirens, are one of the 'Deadly 3' that can hit a player at a full-run without problems...

Upvote 0