• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Countdown mode - it's awesome

Sensemann

Grizzled Veteran
May 10, 2009
Shanghai, China
Yesterday, I played countdown mode, almost the whole day. Approx. 6 hours of countdown.
Guys, this is the best mode in the game, no matter if on Realism mode or Classic. The whole game plays different, people really take care of their lives rather than doing the usual run'n'gun approach. A lot of communication happened on different CD servers and it was super exciting.
I played almost all maps, usually between 40-50 players at the same time, but also, for approx. 2 hours, with a full 64 player server.
If there is a countdown server running with at least 20 players, you know where to find me.

Still excited about it...

Reactions: webslinger
I have to say, I think that those players who have the patience to play CD and actually communicate with their team are rewarded to the full.

Some of the tensest and most exciting moments in my RO2 gameplaying have been on zero reinf waves, speccing the last guy on the attacking team trying to hunt down the few remaining defenders in the cap so I can get to respawn for the next cap.

Upvote 0
CD is the way to go, makes way more tactical gameplay.

However I dont quite like the placement of the spawns, the defenders get to the objective only a few seconds earlier before the attackers. I can barely set up my MG.

And probably it was because of the free weekend but half of my team were camping outside the objective when attacking.

Upvote 0
AYe ive always been a fan of countdown ever since the game released although like others have stated, on a really random public server, its a very hit and miss affair .

However on a public server with a good porportion of regular players you soon get to know people and communicate, and the team work spontaneously happens... and when it does , your right CD is one of the absolute best ways to play RO2 with out a doubt

Upvote 0
Yesterday, I played countdown mode, almost the whole day. Approx. 6 hours of countdown.
Guys, this is the best mode in the game, no matter if on Realism mode or Classic. The whole game plays different, people really take care of their lives rather than doing the usual run'n'gun approach. A lot of communication happened on different CD servers and it was super exciting.
I played almost all maps, usually between 40-50 players at the same time, but also, for approx. 2 hours, with a full 64 player server.
If there is a countdown server running with at least 20 players, you know where to find me.

Still excited about it...
Exactly. This is the best mode in ROHOS. Its my fav mode since day 1. Its just great. But very small amount of servers are running it :(

Upvote 0
I fully agree. Countdown mode is THE perfect example of how HoS is a major improvement over Ostfront. Countdown with around 20-30 players is for me the 'sweet spot', just because in getting killed early you might not have to wait quite so long to get back in. Also because with slightly smaller teams, I think the benefits of communication and team-work are more apparent.

Upvote 0
Countdown is my favourite mode by far. But it's extremely frustrating that so few people know how to play it.

I hate losing the game with multiple people left just because nobody cares to go into the capzone to get to overtime. This also forces you to use unecessary reinforcement waves as you can't rely on your team to do their job.

And the game is basically ruined if your commander doesn't know what he's doing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
haven't played much cd in the past, due to low availability. the first few enjoyable rounds i experienced were during the goty beta. today i found a server that has cd in the mix and played two maps, it was awesome. i will definitely play this mode more often. there's much more tension and fear of death compared to territory.:IS2:
also the "the other team reached objective x in y minutes, do better!" system is pretty cool.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I like Countdown, but then I like one-life gameplay in general. I played an awful lot of Rogue Spear back in the day. My only real gripe with CD is that the capture timers are pretty short; 4 minutes just doesn't cut it for some of the objectives when you can't afford to be reckless. It'd be nice to have a larger pool of objectives where a subset gets selected in random order each round, so that the maps don't always play out in the same order each time, because the large bulk of Countdown seems to be spent just playing the first objective or two over and over.

I think I'd really go for something of a hybrid: Territory with a 2-3 minute respawn timer, team-swapping time compare, and quantity-limited rather than rate-limited commander respawn waves.

Upvote 0
It's good to hear plenty love this game mode. I've tried to play it, but whenever I did, it ended up being a disorganized mish-mash of passive & run/gun action. I played on Fallen Fighters and right off the bat, as soon as I spawn & round the corner, it seemed everything was happening right away and I'd get gunned down seconds after spawning...... then I sit there waiting until the next wave.... which was one of the main reasons why I never liked Counter-Strike.

Waiting for a 15-20 second respawn is about as long as I have patience for (ie: Territory) I want to play the game, not sit there watching others play, or worse.... slowly crawling around one another as they hunt each other in circles, or even worse..... camp the whole time.

Perhaps it's like how Territory works for me when I first started playing.... I die a lot at the start until I have a chance to know the layout of the map, where objectives are and where enemies are commonly found..... but I don't even have enough time to figure any of that out in CD, so why bother?

To each their own I suppose..... I like Fire Fight once in a while but I mostly stick to Territory..... I avoid Countdown as much as possible.

Upvote 0