• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Cooking with custom UPK files (Why people Crash ?)

Drecks

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 26, 2005
The Netherlands
Question to a Dev.....

I have 4 upk files with custom stuff like textures,walls and floorparts.
When I want release an updated mapfile and these upk files didn't change.
Andn I cook it do I need to release it with these 4 custom UPK files or can
I just release the mapfile as it will recognize the names of the previous released UPK files ?

The reason I ask is that players experience crashes while joining and they need to clear
the game cache to loose old map files.

Getting a tad tired of the "This map makes my game crash" stories while when they
empty the cache they can join.....

Last edited:
When you install the files, and in your cache folder, it uses the ID codes to reference each file, (in the ini you can see which file is referenced to which compressed coded file), does it make a new file each computer, or is the reference file named the same across the board?

What I'm getting at, is there may be a way to make an executable that removes the old files for that map (if they are named the same on each computer), and then installs the new ones.

I also wounder if there is a way to make a universal redirect, that can be accessed not just in the game, but outside as well, and accessed by multiple different servers. Something community hosted. Where, lets say I haven't played in a couple of months, I get back into the game, but there are updates to the custom maps. I load a webpage, it finds all the old files, removes them, and loads current map files. The map makers could load updates to the one redirect, and all servers participating wouldn't have to manually retrieve and update thier files. A bit more of a centralized and universal resource so to say....

Upvote 0
omg-3419018.png

Something to view/copy/extract or delete RO2 cached files? => HERE
Something to access and auto install RO2 custom maps from a global redirect? => HERE

The real problem is that the post I linked NEED A F*** STICKY PLEASE ADMINS!!!!

By the way, do you people know the amazing community tool called RO2 CACHE EXTRACTOR AND DOWNLOADER? No? Seriously we need mass advertising for this tool!!!!

After all that, if you need something else, please read: http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=76762

Last edited:
Upvote 0