• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Considering buying RO2.

BrickyLion

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 7, 2011
Denmark
Hi tripwire community!
I enjoy playing challenging and difficult games. I like competition and action, therefore I'm considering buying RO2, but I don't really know how the game really is - I mean I've seen reviews, game plays and trailers, even read the comments on YouTube and I noticed there is a big fight going on, whether this game is good or bad. Some people says the game play is glitchy, some says it's the best ever! I don't know who to believe, and it's probably your very own opinion that counts. But I would like to hear from the tripwire community itself, should I buy this game? Why? any +, -?
Any tips regarding the game play, like warnings and what to expect.

Thank you.
- BrickyLion

The game is good, very good infact. It's just still being polished. It had a rought start, but the decisions that made most people upset are slowly being fixed IMO.

I would advise you on purchasing the game, and playing in realism servers if you enjoy a more tactical experience. It's an incredibly fun game, and you get the most out of it if you learn the maps, and find a server with good teamwork.

I can't really say if you'll love the game, as it's a very "special" game I'd say, but I say get it. As for the gameplay, it really depends on the team and server, but it's always quite fun. At first you'll have to get used to the game pace, but it's rewarding to learn it's mechanics.

There are downsides, the game still lags quite alot and has some stuttering. However, this is being fixed, and soon the SDK will be released and user-made content will be introduced, and the game will start to really shine. It's an incredibly fun game, and probably one of the best purchases I made in the last few years gamewise.

Also, welcome! :D

Upvote 0
Check local dedi server popluation or playable foreign server population before you proceed.
Playable server in most cases means server under 230ms.

Also you might want to check system requirement/ performance as ro2 is not particularly well optimized indie game.

This is mostly mp exclusive game, sp doesn't carry much weight.
and to save your effort, mp population is drying up as of now.

Until future user contents overhauling ro2's arcady game design are added, population is most likey to get smaller and smaller, so hope you can choose what to do with your money with these facts.

Last thing wanna add is if you played any realistic tactical shooters... with good reputation in general, like graw 2 pc mp, arma 2 pr, rsv2, ro might turn out to be a let down, as many here in forum already pointed out ro2 have lots of flaws in both techical, game design aspect, so if you must buy this currently flawed game, it might be clever to wait till good overhauling mod comes out.

Please remember, I had good amount of expectation for this game, I even wrote positive review on major game review site, which is very rare thing for me to do, when I wasn't well aware of the game's hybrid arcade craps and I am sort of incredibly pissed at how it all turned out to be.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
since you're from denmark, server population is not a problem, there's several servers in the uk or germany that are mostly full during the "main gaming hours". some people don't seem to like the game because it doesn't fulfill their expectations, mostly ro-vets who don't like the "arcady" feel of hos. i can't compare it to the old ro because i haven't played it (shame on me!), but i really like the gameplay and have great expectations for upcoming mods etc. it's definitely worth a try.
regarding specs: i have a phenomII X4 940 @ 3,4 ghz, 4gb ram and a hd6870, i can play a mix of high/med settings with decent fps, mostly 40-60 (vsync on), the fps are similar on higher settings, but it starts to stutter on some maps. hopefully the cpu utilization will be optimized in the near future for less drops/higher playable settings.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Catfish haha so you would have considered RO1 and DH long dead ago based on server populations haha! To the OP if you want a unique FPS that is like no other then try it out or even better yet try RO1 if money is an issue, and download Darkest hour mod for free. This game will only get better with age and will be happy when all the whiners will be gone. Seems like the same whiners were around back in 05 when RO1 hit retail but they left after awhile which is good.

Upvote 0
Hi tripwire community!
I enjoy playing challenging and difficult games. I like competition and action, therefore I'm considering buying RO2, but I don't really know how the game really is - I mean I've seen reviews, game plays and trailers, even read the comments on YouTube and I noticed there is a big fight going on, whether this game is good or bad. Some people says the game play is glitchy, some says it's the best ever! I don't know who to believe, and it's probably your very own opinion that counts. But I would like to hear from the tripwire community itself, should I buy this game? Why? any +, -?

Thank you.
- BrickyLion

Well you're not going to get anymore of a straight answer in here, as the community here is divided over a number of things....

Many enjoy the game as it is and can't wait for new content to be added.

Others are still having performance issues (but not as many as there was at launch)

Others have issues that RO2 changed things they liked in RO1 and are upset.

Others have tried the game, found it's not what they're used to from other FPS's and left to go play those FPS's.

Personally speaking, I have played all the Red Orchestras except the very first mod on Unreal Tournament 2003 (I started on the UT2004 mod) and I really enjoy RO2. I never had any game breaking bugs or performance issues and since the last few patches, I was even able to bump my resolution and effects up more for a better looking game. In the last month, I have followed through these forums and the Steam forums and if one focuses on the new players who never played RO before and just started with RO2, all of them that I have come across have not only enjoyed RO2, but are impressed with the game and basically addicted to it.

Many of the people who have issues with RO2 now are people who still have performance issues and people who just don't like that RO2 isn't more like RO1...... I won't comment here about the above, as I don't have the performance issues some have to know what it's like, and I can not judge someone's personal opinion or likes.

I personally would suggest you pick it up and I feel you will certainly enjoy it without regret. And in the near distant future, more maps, more weapons, more vehicles and mods will be available, which will be all free (except perhaps one mod, Rising Storm, but that could still end up being free, or at the very least, dirt cheap)

So even if you do buy the game and don't really enjoy it for whatever reason, there will be a few mods to pick from soon enough which might fill your boots.

Reactions: tixhal
Upvote 0
Unfortunately, I couldn't play much ro1 even though I wanted to because of horrible ping and lack of latency compensation which exist in most other fps games.

am not saying niche is bad or anything, as I told, I like graw 2 pc, ro1, insurgency type of pseudo realistic, hardcore NICHE fps games.

my point is current ro2 is a joke when it comes to tough, realism with its arcady semi railgun accuracy, weapon handling, superhuaman movement kicking every single pro atheletes ever existed in the arse, 2nd magic bandage ride and ro2 as a realistic tactical shooter is a failure due to its painfully obvious attempt to make it more arcady, easily accessible to younger, much casual crowds.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ok catfish I see where you were coming from. In RO1 it was alot more harder to hit but with practice you could almost always get a one shot kill hence the hours I have played that game. The one thing I dont like in RO2 is the wound and bandage. Totally unrealistic and if you were wounded you were out of the fight even if it was for 30 mins which is average for larger maps. I dont see much difference in stamina though. I can sympathize somewhat but for a game franchise to go forward it must change in some aspects or just whither on the vine. Give it time especially when the SDK comes out, then the real fun will begin.

Upvote 0
Don't forget semi railgun accuracy and prosthetic arms, all time super composed superhuman lung/ aiming control regardless of your stamina, injury, breathing.

If you make shooting arcady then what's left for shooter game?

Also, weapon handling, all time superhuman movement speed kicking pro atheletes in the arse and these are done with some kilos of weapons and eqipement with war time poor rest/ nourishment of stalingrad crazy weather.

When it's cold it's really hard to run. In real life everything's actually harder and clunkier than what ro2 describes them to be.

Just try to carry rifle heavy as ww2 old things and all the basic army issue equipment and run 20 meters in full speed and try to ads in 1 second and hit the 68m away target bullseye in 2 second with 1st bullet you fired.

to be honest even arma 2 fails to simulate perfect real life human movement, aiming dynamics but ro2 went too....far....

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Don't forget semi railgun accuracy and prosthetic arms, all time super composed superhuman lung/ aiming control regardless of your stamina, injury, breathing.

If you make shooting arcady then what's left for shooter game?

Also, weapon handling, all time superhuman movement speed kicking pro atheletes in the arse and these are done with some kilos of weapons and eqipement with war time poor rest/ nourishment of stalingrad crazy weather.

When it's cold it's really hard to run. In real life everything's actually harder and clunkier than what ro2 describes them to be.

Just try to carry rifle heavy as ww2 old things and all the basic army issue equipment and run 20 meters in full speed and try to ads in 1 second and hit the 68m away target bullseye in 2 second with 1st bullet you fired.

to be honest even arma 2 fails to simulate perfect real life human movement, aiming dynamics but ro2 went too....far....

Being cold outside has no affect on your ability to run..... regardless if it's 10 degrees C or -35 degrees C..... it's the amount of snow you have to run through that can have an affect on your ability to run, and if the snow is packed or very dry & light, there is very little impact on your ability.... it's only when it's deep and wet that it can drag you down and drain your energy.

I lived 31 years of my life in Canada, lugging snow shovels, wearing heavy outfits to keep warm, dragging large bookbags of up to 20-30lbs to and from school & home, climbing over snow banks & snow drifts, and even used firearms in the snow..... it's not that complicated or difficult, especially if you're born and raised in that type of climate (ie: Russians and how the Germans got their arse served on a platter when the Russian Winter came along)

When you've spent all your life in winter weather most of the year and carrying additional gear & weight on you day in and day out, you get used to it and becomes second nature..... I would probably run farther, run faster and be quicker to the draw with more accuracy in the middle of the winter, compared to someone doing the same thing as I who was from somewhere in Africa.

Vice Versa, they would probably do better in a hotter, drier environment than I...... thus, experiences in certain climates and weather changes based on the person in question.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Also Praxius; on par Soldiers back then were also physically adapted to their environment better than Soldiers are today. Modern day soldiers go from a comfy garrison life to say the rigors of Afghanistan. That is why in modern Armies, physical training is just as important as other types of training. Also I just came from Alaska and I am still in the Army and yes we ran outside up to -20 for PT. Things do take longer and you do burn tremendous amounts of calories in cold weather but if you are acclimated to it and know how to cope, you will survive.

Upvote 0
Also Praxius; on par Soldiers back then were also physically adapted to their environment better than Soldiers are today. Modern day soldiers go from a comfy garrison life to say the rigors of Afghanistan. That is why in modern Armies, physical training is just as important as other types of training. Also I just came from Alaska and I am still in the Army and yes we ran outside up to -20 for PT. Things do take longer and you do burn tremendous amounts of calories in cold weather but if you are acclimated to it and know how to cope, you will survive.

Indeed and back on the Afghanistan comment you made, my cousin is in the Canadian Forces and before she went to Kandahar, she had to spend a while in Florida to "Climatize" before being shipped out..... not too sure if that was done back in WWII.... I doubt it though.

Reactions: TT33
Upvote 0
Being cold outside has no affect on your ability to run..... regardless if it's 10 degrees C or -35 degrees C..... it's the amount of snow you have to run through that can have an affect on your ability to run, and if the snow is packed or very dry & light, there is very little impact on your ability.... it's only when it's deep and wet that it can drag you down and drain your energy.

I lived 31 years of my life in Canada, lugging snow shovels, wearing heavy outfits to keep warm, dragging large bookbags of up to 20-30lbs to and from school & home, climbing over snow banks & snow drifts, and even used firearms in the snow..... it's not that complicated or difficult, especially if you're born and raised in that type of climate (ie: Russians and how the Germans got their arse served on a platter when the Russian Winter came along)

When you've spent all your life in winter weather most of the year and carrying additional gear & weight on you day in and day out, you get used to it and becomes second nature..... I would probably run farther, run faster and be quicker to the draw with more accuracy in the middle of the winter, compared to someone doing the same thing as I who was from somewhere in Africa.

Vice Versa, they would probably do better in a hotter, drier environment than I...... thus, experiences in certain climates and weather changes based on the person in question.

Some of points I agree, though it's tougher to run longer in cold weather than in normal temperature.

When I was in army pt session, it's called 3 mile run.
In cold winter days, it's a lot harder to breath, so more difficult to run.

In normal weather, it's much easier.

Short running would not have much difference though.

Anyways, my anecdote was posted to show how doint things in real life is clunkier and slower than ro2 described it to be.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, I couldn't play much ro1 even though I wanted to because of horrible ping and lack of latency compensation which exist in most other fps games.

am not saying niche is bad or anything, as I told, I like graw 2 pc, ro1, insurgency type of pseudo realistic, hardcore NICHE fps games.

my point is current ro2 is a joke when it comes to tough, realism with its arcady semi railgun accuracy, weapon handling, superhuaman movement kicking every single pro atheletes ever existed in the arse, 2nd magic bandage ride and ro2 as a realistic tactical shooter is a failure due to its painfully obvious attempt to make it more arcady, easily accessible to younger, much casual crowds.

5km/h is pro athletes now? Wow how fat people have gotten.

Reactions: Cpt-Praxius
Upvote 0
Liking the time peroid the game is set helps ALOT. You'll love it easier if you like ww2 eastern fighting or just ww2. Its extremely unique, but unlike most very different games, it has amazing graphics and invloved gameplay. Its also good as a shooter alone.

About the bugs, you shouldnt have that many that will prevent you from playing, especially because now they have worked out alot of the HUGE errors. And if you do have an issue, this community right here is willing to help. Just look at what your doing now, you ask a questiona and the gamer community responds immeaditly. Ultimately, you should get it

Upvote 0
5km/h is pro athletes now? Wow how fat people have gotten.

You're twisting the fact.

Soldiers are running with some kilos of equipment, long heavy rifle.

Actual soldiers can't move always smooth and top speed all the time under bullet flying stressful situation ever so efficiently all the time.

RO2 soldiers move ever so fast and smoothly, and I don't think that's acutally correct.

no 3d sound, and very cpu heavy game it is.
At least 3.4Hz dual? or quad core cpu is minimum almost.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi tripwire community!

Thank you.
- BrickyLion

BrickyLion you really need to tell us what you want from an FPS shooter?
* Do you like the ww2 setting?
* Are you hard core to the extent of rejection a rear vision mirror being out of place on a tank or a man bandaging a superficial wound in the field?
* Are you soft core. Willing to accept tanks being repaired by 10 engineers while fighting?
* Are you in between?
* Do you have an interest in military history and what you can learn from it?
* What are your favorite FPS games?
* What FPS games do you hate?

Upvote 0