• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Company of heroes

OMG :0
The servers work well again. I had a 2 hour game earlier. It rocked my pants :D

3 vs 3 with 1000 points. Since the start there was a hard battle on this one hill in the middle. I don't know the name of the map but it has a big hill in the middle with sandbags etc.
It was awesome. Since the beginning there were always fights there. I built a basic defensive position and eventually he came with mortar and I just countered that with mortars myself whilst expanding over the western side. My teammates concentrated on the western part of the map and helped me defend the centre. We had all 3 victory points at one time but then the germans did and offensive in the east but only once. They concentrated on the west and the centre.

After he destroyed my defensive positions in the middle with like 4 mortars I pulled back and regained strength. I sent a jeep after the mortars and that made them scatter, after that I sent in riflemen and mgs to setup a position again. Although I left the centre alone the enemy didn't take the victory location. When he did I attacked him right away with my men. Eventually he also got vehicles and attacked me, my riflemen got rid of it quickly with 2 sticky bombs though so it wasn'T that bad. The mortars helped too. Once I got the position fortified in the centre again I started and offensive on his buildings to the north east of the centre. First off-map artillery and then normal mortars, he didn'T have a chance. After that offensive the enemy concentrated on the western part of the map and were already under 300 points. Victory was ours and after that we just moved up flag for flag and dominated them.

I prefer the Infantry doctrine as the Allies. What do you guys do?

Upvote 0
I can't do either, and I even tried turning the firewall completely off so it's not a firewall problem. When I try to join a server it tries to connect for a long time, then locks up and crashes to desktop. If I try to host it will lock up and crash to desktop before anyone can join. I get these annoying connection problem messages popping up and disappearing all the time as well.

Upvote 0
Over the past few days the game has become extremely laggy for me, inside the lobby and when I'm playing a game. I have not made a single change to anything on my system.

The game has gone the way of all RTS's now, people know what works and they spam it, it's almost not fun to play it anymore. Also, the Germans seem to be too easy to play as, and the americans too difficult. With the Germans all you need to get are some Panthers or Tigers, plus some nebels and you've won. The Americans on the other hand need to be able to give bazookas to thier riflemen, because sticky bombs ****.

Upvote 0
Tank zergs have happened in every game I've played so far as the Americans (even if I had plenty of paras or rangers with bazookas, plus a few shermans with 76 upgrade, and a few AT guns) they still plough straight through my line. There's something very gay about seeing a Tiger ace take maybe a dozen bazooka shots and still have plenty of health. It's not that they're overpowered, it's just that the Americans don't really have a viable counter short of massing rangers or paratroopers and praying they enemy doesn't have off-map arty.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've also got the beta and I've been having problems. The only round I've managed to play has given me a chance to see quite a bit of the detail in the game itself.

The weapons are all nicely modelled. The rifles are easily distinguishable.
I've noticed that the tank armour works almost like in RO. At certain angles, shells will actually deflect away for the vehicle. Certain weapons like satchel charges are effective at disabling tank systems (engines, tracks, main gun, ect).
The detail in the infantry movement and actions is probably the best in any RTS to date. Soldiers signal to one another (they point at the enemy, ect). Medics can be seen running around a battle carrying the wounded. From what I can tell, even the soldier's faces are animated (you can really tell this on wounded ones). They swear. I don't think any game (and certainly no RTS i know of) has ever had this much profanity. Guns have bulletdrop (although I've seen some wonky behavior). Gore, soldiers hit by explosives will actually get scarred, high explosives can blow them apart (and fling their pieces in a thousand directions).

What I like is the fact that no unit in the game is useless. Basic rifle squads are effective throughout the game thanks to various weapon upgrades.

Whats best is that the game is quite playable and quite enjoyable on low-end machines. I run a 9800pro and while it doesn't look that great it is still damn enjoyable.

My main complaint is the god-awful netcode. Hopefully it'll get sorted out soon. There is apperently gonna be a demo coming within the next week or two, so that should be interesting considering all the hacking (modding) we did to DoW's demo.

Upvote 0
Gamespy hosted lobbies stink. I've promised myself that if I ever win a huge powerball lottery I'm going to bring up a proposal to fully finance a complete and independant game-match system for Dawn of War, similar to the Battle.net set up. It's really a shame that a great game turns off so many people because of the horrible netcode/multiplayer in general, and it would be horrible to see Company of Heroes go the same route.

Upvote 0
No, i didn't try the game, but from what i've read, i think about this game as of usual strategy, with nice graphics, but without any new features. It's almost the same as warcraft 2, but in WW2 era. Or am i wrong?
I agree, there is no game where losing is fun....well except this one
There are some, actually. My experience in mp BTRH playing tells me so. :)

Upvote 0
Bolt said:
No, i didn't try the game, but from what i've read, i think about this game as of usual strategy, with nice graphics, but without any new features. It's almost the same as warcraft 2, but in WW2 era. Or am i wrong?

There are some, actually. My experience in mp BTRH playing tells me so. :)

Kinda...the cool physics and other neat little things make up for some unoriginal aspects.

Upvote 0
Cool physics aren't new. "Soldiers: Heroes of WW2" had this feature in 2004. And mind you, it's physics are deeper than CoH: you can destroy the tank by blowing it's turret of, the turret will go sky-high and drop onto half-track, thus destroying it also.
I've heard in CoH you can destroy Tiger by firing with Grayhound in frontal armour. Is this true?
I would like to hear more about those: "neat little things", please.

Upvote 0