• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Can someone explain to me why Zerk has these 2 weapons?

DMN666

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 14, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
So just the other day, i came to a realization about the Zerk's load outs. 2 Weapons did not fit his... aesthetics? Zerk seems to be about makeshift weaponry or just tools. Technically speaking, makeshift is anything that is used for unintended uses.

These 2 being the EMP Grenade and the Zweihander. Lets look at the Zerk's loadout:

Lawnmower Blade: Its just that, a lawnmower blade. You found a lawnmower and ripped one of the blades off. Tool weaponry.

Crovel:Soldiers were know to carry a shovel around in case they need to dig a trench for protection. Crowbar used to... well open stuff up. Tool weaponry.

Vlad: Its a horizon brand nailgun used by its workers. Tool weapon

Eviscerator: Its simply a mixture between the Buzzsaw Bow and the Chainsaw. It looks more like a giant oversizes meat cutter. Crafted Weapon.

Pulverizer: Its a sledgehammer with Shotgun ammo. Crafted Weapon.

Now these 2:

EMP Grenade: A grenade used to disable anything electrical. Technically non-existing in real life in grenade form, devices that are EMP based do exist. So this is more of a weapon based on scifi fiction. The idea of the EMP grenade seems to go better with the Support or even the SWAT. The nailbomb seems to fit the Zerk more.

Zweihander: This is a actual weapon. Its made for killing. Why is it in the hands of the Berserker and not the Martial Artist is beyond me. The MA is getting the Katana, which like the Zwei, is made for combat.

This isnt a complain, but more of "why?" I feel its too late for the zerk to change Grenades and im sure more people will complain if the Zwei is given to the MA.

The Zwei is only a promotional weapon... It isn't that important in my opinion as it's mostly a "bonus" (even though it is ,in fact, more than a reskin). As for why the zerker and not the MA...Well, probably because the MA isn't released yet and it would have been ridiculous to add a weapon that couldn't be used effectively until much more later.

And finally... It isn't a real "theme" as much as we decided it to be. I thought zerker was about brutal melee combat,yet he gained the vlad and the eviscerator... So why should he be focused on makeshift weapons? Plus,in the end, does anything truly DOESN'T fit killing floor? We saw a robot chicken, futuristic weaponry, a whole map set in catacombs, in santa's lair, in a steampunk theme park...

As for the EMP well , it really is weird though. But at least it's effective!

Upvote 0
I've had the same thoughts myself about the EMP, the Zwei I consider outside the canon like I do with most DLC weapons in games.

I took it a step further though in terms of theme.

COM = HE grenade
Support = Frag grenade
Medic = Gas grenade
Berserker = Nail Bomb(especially now with it's stun effect for easy pickings)
Firebug = Molotov
Demolitionist = C4, since we use it like a grenade anyway(and I'm a fan of alt-fire becoming the universal detonator for the perk)
Gunslinger = Dynamite to fit the Western theme they have going(and maybe the ability to detonate it with your guns, if not just transfer on contact over from demo)
Sharpshooter = Freeze Grenade
Swat = EMP, but of course we don't even know the perk's role yet

Anyway, this is all just my preference of corresponding grenade choices

Edit: It was always strange to me for a melee perk to have a grenade that disables a zed in such a favorable way for a ranged perk, even if they can use the evisc and nailgun.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've had the same thoughts myself about the EMP, the Zwei I consider outside the canon like I do with most DLC weapons in games.

I took it a step further though in terms of theme.

COM = HE grenade
Support = Frag grenade
Medic = Gas grenade
Berserker = Nail Bomb(especially now with it's stun effect for easy pickings)
Firebug = Molotov
Demolitionist = C4, since we use it like a grenade anyway(and I'm a fan of alt-fire becoming the universal detonator for the perk)
Gunslinger = Dynamite to fit the Western theme they have going(and maybe the ability to detonate it with your guns, if not just transfer on contact over from demo)
Sharpshooter = Freeze Grenade
Swat = EMP, but of course we don't even know the perk's role yet

Anyway, this is all just my preference of corresponding grenade choices

Edit: It was always strange to me for a melee perk to have a grenade that disables a zed in such a favorable way for a ranged perk, even if they can use the evisc and nailgun.

well the swat would have a better fit with a flashbang or something similar (as swats are a police force they usually employ non lethal explosives, like tear gas and flashbangs...now a EMP is nonlethal so it would fit, but it just seems a tad off if you can have almost identical effect on a different nade), but the nail bomb is a very suitable idea for the zerker, a real DIY grenade.

ontopic, the zerker does have a few off weapons (I too was under the assumption it would be melee centric, but as I played it more I tend to go commando style with a nailgun), but this also seems to give the class a few extra options

Upvote 0
Just wanna point out that makeshift weapons isn't much of a theme and furthermore is just a community assumption. It's down to probability that the best bludgeons or cutters tend to be tools or have tp be made - not many weapons-development companies provide a chainsaw or brutal melee option, so naturally you won't get a Sig Sauer chainsaw.

Point is this "theme" is community made, not necessarily an actual thing.

Upvote 0
The Zweihander wouldn't make much sense for the Martial Artist either, it is a large, heavy weapon designed for combat between armoured foes. Yes, Talhoffer's plates can show you how people fought with longswords and two handed swords in the fifteenth century, but the weapons are not graceful and they're not designed for unarmoured foes.

As for the Vlad, I can't imagine that anyone would design a nailgun that shot an uneven cone of nails at things, and then give it to their construction workers. That is a modified weapon. The Crovel is a common weapon in special forces: Spetsnaz, Green Berets, and even the Chinese military use a shovel for everything from, uh, picking to slicing - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzpRh-ZE9Mo.

Upvote 0
Zweihander is fine, Martial artist seems to be a class about fast moving and strategic fighting(I don't know either) compared to Berserker who just likes to get hit a lot, break bones, slice people down and defend team mates by blocking enemy attacks. Though on the other hand, EMP grenade doesn't fit him at all and it seems to have gotten weaker compared to before. Scrakes stay shocked for a short amount of time which really sucks. Makes it seem much more useless, especially against Fleshpounds.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Berserker is more than just one thing, you're trying to pigeonhole every Perk to fit a one sentence explanation.

Berserker has some makeshift/homemade theme to it, but much more importantly, there's slated to be two Melee Perks, and they primarily differ in that:

• Berserker is a brute that crushes things with pure strength
  • Martial Artist is a lithe warrior that slices and dices, or something like that

in other words, it's Strength/Dexterity. brute force vs agility and precise technical skill. the names of the Perks even explain that.
now, i imagine both will be able to blur the lines between each other with some choices, like how Berserker has mobility and 'aiming' related Skills.

Zweihander makes complete sense for Berserker, because it would make absolutely no sense for Martial Artist.

and the EMP Grenade is makeshift-esque. look at it.
jh9VOKg.png
UI_WeaponSelect_EMPGrenade_black.png

it's some strange construct of a mixture of some Spark Plug(s), some... coil things, what looks to me like a watch, Et Cetera.

EMP Grenade is also a perfect fit mechanically, as Melee Combat is the most susceptible to Enemy Attacks, and EMP can cancel/disable special Attacks that are very dangerous. incredibly useful for Melee Combat.

it's funny though, you consider Crovel to be perfectly fitting.
it's a production, type of survival Multi-Tool. often used in Military, for everything from Survival to Combat when necessary.
https://goo.gl/MljY95

- - - - -

so what are we really complaining about here?
it sounds like just complaining that something doesn't fit a pigeonhole version, one liner description that's made up by Players.

this is like reading yet another thread on the Warframe Forums that complain the game has very weak 'Space Ninja' to it. when Digital Extremes had no intention of creating that supposed game in the first place, only picking up the two word phrase because it's really great marketing.
the game was designed from day one (and long before that too) to be a game about Space Mercenaries, taking inspiration from all kinds of games and cultures, Eastern cultures being a part of that.
it was the Players that coined 'Space Ninjas', and then the Players complain the game doesn't fit what they shallow-like interpreted the game to be.

Upvote 0