• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Call of Duty: Black Ops

So how many CoD games does it take for you guys to realize what they are? I can understand getting lured into CoD2 because CoD1 was alright, but if someone fell for CoD3 who didn't like CoD games... No compassion from me. I can sort of get how someone could fall for Modern Warfare again, because it looked kinda different, it sort of changed the title and it was advertised as a realistic game. But by the time MW2 rolled out everyone should have gotten what it was going to be...
Now we're another CoD game down the line (and we had one in between that had a nazi-zombie mode for crying out loud!). They even stopped advertising them as realistic war games now! But for some reason some of you people still don't seem to get it...

You don't even complain about what the games are! No "ergh. Not another Quake with war-skins". You take every new CoD game as if it's going to be next king of war sims and then you complain about non-issues that have nothing to do with anything. Oh noes, only 24 players. Bad for a war sim, alright, but it's a tiny shoe-box shootout game! Where was the outrage when Streetfighter 4 didn't have 250 player battles? There was none because it's not that kind of game!

And neither is CoD. Are you that easily fooled by the setting of the game?
It has soldier-looking players! It's gotta be realistic. But wait, it kinda isn't! What is this? Why did they screw this up? Don't they know how war works?
But still, the players are kinda soldier-lookin' so it's gotta be... wait, no more than 24 players? This is an outrage!
But the guns look so realistic... wait, the game modes look kinda deathmatchy.
But the levels look just like in the news... wait, kill-streaks? Regenerating health?
But it has soldiers! On battlefields... wait, tomahawks? Really?
WAKE UP!

Again and again and again, every time a new CoD rolls out, which is more than often enough.

My god, I wish I had a squeaking blow-up hammer so I could hammer this into your heads.:p It's Quake (or Halo, for the younger gamers among you...) in a war-coat!
There, complain about that. Not about petty non-issues like a player count that doesn't suit a war sim or a draw distance that doesn't suit a flight-sim or a combat-model that doesn't suit a fighting game or tire-physics that don't suit a racing game or crosshairs stuck to the middle of the screen that don't suit a point and click adventure or whatever else you might think the game is but isn't...:p

Upvote 0
I asked those same questions, but the answer is quite not why I expected... the answer is that we are asking the wrong questions.

Murphy, we all know what CoD is, and we all hate it, so why the long threads?

The answer is that when we talk about CoD, is not CoD what we are talking about, is about PC gaming as a whole, is about crappy console ports, is about where the world is going, is about marketing and the abuse from the corporations, the crimes against the customer. We need a punching bag to let out our frustrations and CoD is currently the maximum representative of all those things.

We also like to wonder why that thing is so popular, and at the same time, its all mixed with that feeling of superiority, laughing at those who are willing to pay for this BS (60€ wow)

So no, nobody here is surprised by the suckiness of CoD, nobody here expects anything actually good from the franchise, and I'd dare to say, that nobody here even wants it to be good, as its more fun this way, and it would keep separated the "pwn y0 n00b" kids from us. We are just pissed that there are so many of them.
(note: With this I'm not saying that all CoD players are like that)

That is what's it all about in the end.

Be it a conscious or a subconscious feeling, is just like this. (At least this is my case, as I'll never gonna buy a CoD, I don't have any other reasons to post here, other than the stated above)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I like CoD games. I will happily continue to buy them.

Same here, Olivier was saying last night that I shouldn't give my money to Kotick, and while I hate him as much as the next man, Activision makes games that I enjoy playing. As such I will continue to pay my hard earned money for the game that I wish to play without getting sucked into some wierd debate about companies being ****.

Upvote 0
Black ops is going to be fun. I like playing fun video games. Going to a midnight release with my brother, his friend and our cousin.

Stop posting if you don't like fun it's pretty simple!

Oh, I like fun. I just find the CoD series to be ****.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
So stop reading and posting in the thread?

You're new here I suppose? :p

That argument got crushed, what? A few years back? If you don't like a game, or a series of games, or a developer, or indeed a publisher on these forums then you go ahead and form an eloquent argument to state why.

We do not tell people to get out of the thread.

Also, you're now in a community that plays a game that attempts to be truly realistic. We are all biased here and we will look down on games that represent war in a childish manner.

Upvote 0