• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Buy DODS or COD2? (Multiplayer)

Buy DODS or COD2? (Multiplayer)

• Call Of Duty 2

Votes: 24 23.5%
  • Day Of Defeat Source

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • Buy another copy of Red Orchestra! RED ORCHESTRA FTW!

Votes: 51 50.0%

• Total voters
For me i'm not too bothered about how realistic things are, but I find realism makes for some awesome gameplay generally. It seems to deter the type of players I would rather not play with (elite speakers, cheaters, people that will do anything to win, people that play team games like they're single player etc). People don't run around jumping and spraying and get kills eventhough they have 0 aim ability but because they spam shots in the general location of the enemy. People tend to have to make use of iron sights which slows the game down and makes people play more tactically. People have to make careful, limited shots (reduced spamming) because of recoil and increased gun damage. People use cover. Theres probably more I could add, but overall I think it attracts the sort of people I want to play against/with online.

I love my arcade games to be balanced arcadey games where people jump around pulling off amazing shots and gettings kills by being skillful, NOT games that try to make things appear realistic by reducing accuracy to stupid levels (DOD:source, were skill is non existant because of the cone of fire) or let everyone spawn with amazing weapons that require 0 skill to use well (spam guns like in COD2 - guiwer, stg etc that have 0 recoil and superb accuracy and damage). I just want to play games that haven't been desinged for kids that just want to jump around spraying while getting autohealed after getting shot by a KAR98 (STG/Guiwer are like rapid fire rail guns in that game while a KAR98 that you actually have to take careful aim with doesn't always kill in 1 shot), or feel they are good at the game because they got a kill eventhough it was probably pure randomness (crazy cone of fire like in DOD).

I'm just trying to say, I don't think everyone's after realism just for the sake of it here, some of us just want to play games with decent gameplay and find realism gives us this. I'm more of a "balanced realism" type of player - I like weapons to be effective when used skillfully, realism tends to do this - guns tend to be accurate depending on their ROF/recoil. Thats how guns should be in games like this - if its not particularly realistic well I don't really care - it just makes great gameplay

Last edited:
Upvote 0
CoD2 has a pretty fun single player campaign, but the multiplayer is absolutely horrible. Also, CoD2 doesn't have as good of graphics as you would expect. The character and gun models are done pretty well, but the levels are sparsely decorated and make little use of lighting techniques. DoD:S on the other hand, has truely amazing multiplayer, is cheap, has a decent number of well-designed maps, and great graphics for how easy it runs. DoD:S would be the best choice for you, since you just want to play multiplayer.

Upvote 0
CoD2 has, in my opinion, the most intense and fun single-player FPS ever. However the MP just plain ****s. The maps are WAYYYY too small for me. If you are going to get anything MP get CoD and UO you can probaly pcik them up pretty cheap now and they are alot more fun. Don't expect realism though, as that is not what it is suppsoed to be. CoD, CoD:UO, and CoD2 are simulations of the movies, not of real life. Want to play SPR? Then get CoD. But don't expect realism. It's not completly unrealistic either. If nothing else it seems to feel like a war. I've had many more "oh s*it" moment son UO then RO, simply because it is faster.

Upvote 0
I played Big Red One's single player, and I am not impressed, I am guessing its the same as COD's single player. You walk around shooting Endless numbers of Germans, until they all die out, and you lose after you wander off for 2 seconds away from your squad. Your allies are stupid, they get in your way, and you feel like shooting there heads off. You can't open doors, so you have to wait 2 minutes for them to catch up to you, and then wait for a horrible scripted event. The AI is stupid. Germans just run in front of you, and miss every shot from there gun. The only thing I liked, is that all gun's have iron sights.

I am scared of COD2, because of its $40 price tag, (even on steam!), and I don't want the single player.

Upvote 0
How can any of you complain about Call of Duty 2's map sizes? They range from urban combat to open fields; sometimes combined in the same map! On top of that, the weapon accuracy surely won't frusterate you to the point of wanting to pull your brain out of your skull like in DoD:S. DoD:S is like a pretty car with nothing under the hood. It's all for display. Call of Duty features the exact same kind of gameplay, and then some, of DoD:S. More maps, more modes, more weapons.

Upvote 0
Uh... CoD 2's map sizes are tiny mate... I don't know where you're seeing open fields and urban combat in the same map, but I'm thinking probably in a different game... The stupid 16K gamestate they insisted on for the first year so it'd be playable on XBox 360 meant all the maps HAD to be tiny.

The weapon accuracy in CoD 2 makes me cry. Or rather, the fact that even in ironsights you've got conefire and hipshooting has so little recoil that 95% of the time you're better off doing that rather than aiming. Like CoD 1, but moreso. Bleugh. Best thing I can say about CoD 2 is "at least it's better than DoD: Source".

Upvote 0
After you have played RO, it is easy to complain about COD2. Been there, done that. It left me asking "Why on God's green earth am I playing this POS when I could be playing RO? Why, WHY???" It left me mad and embarrased that I bought and paid $60 for it, therefore it was uninstalled.

And while I can't comment on recent custom maps, the weapons seem to be the biggest joke, especially after having played RO.

Of course, no comment on DOD as I never played it.

Upvote 0
COD2 is a FANTASTIC game for SINGLEPLAYER

So I would say DOD:S

BUT

DOD:S is SOOOOO Arcadish that its not really a WW2 game...
Its ehhh... A happy Happy Joy Joy run and gun game...
Kinda like Quake3 Arena with WW2 Weapon skins...

The happy happy joy joy feeling only lasts a few minutes... then a kid will drive you mad with
OMG, You Suxs I Am TEH PAWNZORZ Roxzors!!!111

In order to reclaim a good moral and the happy mood you once had

Alt+F4

Games
Red Orchestra
Join Server

Upvote 0
I played COD2 on my friend's 360, and It was OK, the mutiplayer wasn't that fun or interesting, its another deathmatch game.

The game attempts to mix a deathmatch game with realism. Bad Combo!

You move very slowly, and SMGs dominate, because of how tiny the maps are. Semi Auto Rifles are peashooters, and most of the time you walk around spraying.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Who the heck plays shooters on console?

What's so special about it? I do play shooters on consoles sometimes even I do have PC that has mouse and keyboard and allows you to use your very fast 0.000000000000000000001 zero reflex AWP CS aiming skills.

Besides, aiming is "truly" a matter of skill when it comes to console shooter that does not have auto aim or that it can be turned off.

Upvote 0
I personally preferred CoD2, but I'll go over the pros and cons here that I found.

CoD2

Pros:
-The overall pace of the game is smooth, but still quite fast paced.
-Melee. Screw switching to another weapon just to melee after running out of ammo. Just bash away.
-Sniper Rifles, if you tend to use them, are a lot better. Instead of being forced to lay prone, or hope to god you timed that sway shot perfectly, just hold your breath and squeeze the trigger.

Cons:
-On larger servers, it turns into major nade spamming and spawn killing.
-On anything but PB servers, expect insane amounts of wall hacks, aimbots, etc.
-Some maps feel rather plain, and quite barren of cover.

DOD S

Pros:
-Pick up a Grenade and toss it back. Payback is hilarious.
-Shovels. Nothing more humiliating.
-Maps generally feel more abundant with alternate pathways to locations, or places to hide in compared to CoD2.

Cons:
-If you're playing standard Objective capturing, it IS spawn killing near the end.
-Weapons don't feel anything like they should, hipping is a far better bet (Ironsights takes too long to bring up, and slows you down far too much)
-Some weapons have this unimaginable lack of Ironsights, and better yet, weapons such as the STG44 switch to semi-auto when aiming more accurately.
-Less interesting game modes. Pretty much feels like CSS jazzed up a bit.
-Weapons feel horrendously weak, and some weapons have too high/little recoil.

DODS is a relatively fun game. I'll give it that, but there's too many things that disgusted me about it as opposed to CoD2.

Upvote 0
I understand then you want fun, dont mind a bit of run-and-gun and lack of realism (you got RO for that after all) but would wanna stick with WW2 era?
Has to be COD1 with United offensive- you feel like you are starring in your own wartime comic book
You will get so much multiplayer for you money its silly- loadsof gamemodes and mods. RO does make the tanks now seem a bit mariokart but they are fun and bombing around in jeeps in CTF and Domination style games is a top laugh. Some stock maps are truely awesome and there is an endless list of quality 3rd party too. It was and still is one of the greatest online shooters.
Only downpoint is if you have a killer rig you may wonder why you are playing a Quake3 engine game with , for example, crude bitmap smoke.

COD2 looks better and is probably better for infantry only gamemodes (which is all it offers) but I have seen plenty of punkbuster-proof hacking. Also its a 'twitch' game with some excellent players so if you only play it now and then like me you may get a bit of a mauling.

While im on, they dont deserve to sell another copy of COD2 anyway cos its a bit of a lazy effort i felt. Best maps were converted COD1 efforts. They outrageously removed features like 'run' and nade cooking- essential features that were added in COD UO- removed i guess to force sales of the add-on which ironically doesn't seem like coming as now they follow the console-kids' $$$ it seems.

DODs? WW2 CSs i felt- not bad but will it keep you interested?

You have ruled out MOH/pacific assault/ BF42 i take it? Probably for the best.

Last edited:
Upvote 0