• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Buy DODS or COD2? (Multiplayer)

Buy DODS or COD2? (Multiplayer)

• Call Of Duty 2

Votes: 24 23.5%
  • Day Of Defeat Source

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • Buy another copy of Red Orchestra! RED ORCHESTRA FTW!

Votes: 51 50.0%

• Total voters
COD can be pretty good if you find a decent realism server. I played on a codUO realism server for about a year until COD2 came out and really liked it. It had recoil and bad accuracy when not in iron sights (and no crosshair IIRC) and medics (which was fun eventhough unrealistic). When COD2 came out it was back to run n gun bs gameplay because the devs didn't make it as modable as CODUO so I ended up getting bored and dled the RO mod a couple months before retail. So if you fancy a change I would avoid COD2 (unless its any better now in realism servers compared to a couple months after it was released when it was like playing a kids game compared to CODUO realism) and get CODUO if there still some good realism servers out there.

DOD is a waste of money - its like you toss a coin to decide who wins if you use an SMG and 90% of people were playing as the SMG class when I played.

Upvote 0
I played the free week of DOD source and it was horrible. The weapons are terrible, the levels I played made me want to kill my own team just to end it. DOD source is nothing like the original DOD was, the original was actually an enjoyable game.

Call of Duty 2 is not much better but if I had to pick I would take it over source. COD2 can be good if you play on realism servers/custom maps. Most of the stock COD2 maps are close quarters town fighting.

Upvote 0
Most of you have been speaking from a biased perspective.

Although I have not played DoD:S Call of Duty 2 has many modifications for it. Including realism. There are A LOT of realism servers where guns do realistic damage, and act realisticly. I like how you guys just love to overlook this aspect.

The realism servers are the only ones worth playing in COD, but I gave cod2 at least 2 months I think it was and the gameplay still ****ed on all "realism" servers because the game was much less moddable than the original CODUO. Don't know what its like now, but tbh i'll never play/buy another game from that company because of the support they give to their games. Cheats were common (no anti cheat), patches never got released to improve the modability, it was just a cash in game using the COD name to sell a pile of crap.

Upvote 0
If you want a decent answer to this question, I'd go somewhere else and ask it. This forum is (unfortunately) known for its vicious patriotism toward RO and against all other games, whether they are good or not, and judged solely on the basis of "how realistic it is compared to RO".

Not a bad thing, as RO is great, but if you want a seriously unbiased opinion, ask it somewhere else.

If you want my two cents, both games you mentioned are really great products in their own right. DoD:S, while a bit arcadey and goofy sometimes, is an absolute blast. CoD2 is alright, but as others stated, most of the CoD players stuck with United Offensive, so there are more players playing that.

What would decide it for me is customizability. DoD:S has tons of custom models and skins to make things, in the visual department at least, just the way you want them. While you can do this with CoD/CoD2, you can't play on hardly any servers with custom content, and the ones you would play on would be rampant with aimbots and wallhacks.

I'd go for DoD:S for multiplayer, hands down.

Upvote 0
DoD:S is only fun if you are so sick of games that even resemble any kind of realism. It is really arcadey. It also suffers from some really bad gameplay mechanics, such as the cone of fire, which is the most ridiculous I have ever seen. The classic DoD stomps every game mentioned in this thread.

Upvote 0
Most of you have been speaking from a biased perspective.

Although I have not played DoD:S Call of Duty 2 has many modifications for it. Including realism. There are A LOT of realism servers where guns do realistic damage, and act realisticly. I like how you guys just love to overlook this aspect.

So somewhere, someone is trying to make COD2 into an RO wannabe? At that point, just play RO and save your money...

Upvote 0
I don't know much about DoDs but I do know CoD2.

If you like getting owned by 16 shotguns or snipers, like snipers that can jump in scoped sight (or any other weapon for that matter), if you like consolish icons, if you like nadespams from the first second the map starts, if you like seeing yourself killed by a shot aimed more then a meter behind your line of movement, of you like crappy dev support, if you like ultra small maps, if you like shooting people in the face without them dying, if you like the message "CD-Key is allready in use!" then by all means GET CoD 2 right now...

I would say, save your money for a decent shooter.

Upvote 0
One thing is for sure. (And what I have learned in RO forums)

Do not speak about unrealistic stuff around here. You might get very unpleasant answers or topics about it.

I'm still for DoDS more than CoD2 if we have those "three" options avaible.

Oh and one more addition. Remember kids, every game with a crosshair is a quakegame from 1995-1998!! :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
DOD is terrible. CoD2 is not a realistic WW2 game at all but it's still a good single player experience - multi player get boring pretty fast - just like CoD and CoDUN.

Does it have to be a WW2 game? Why don't you buy Battlefield 2? Battlefield 2 is a terrible game ...but with the mod "Project Reality" it gets fantastic! The PR mod turns BF2 into a much more teambased and strategic game - much like RO.

http://www.realitymod.com/

...that's my advice.

Upvote 0