• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Bring Back The Zerker

and the slow moving katana.

Slow moving Katana? Are you on drugs or something? We all know the Chainsaw sucks beyond all reason, but the Katana is far, far from bad.

Yeah I was gonna ask him the same thing. Katana isnt slow at all, with a level 6 zerker. How fast does he want it to swing exactly :S?? And like said its far from a bad weapon.

the gorefasts don't go down fast enough not to get a couple swings in on occasion taking off 20 - 25 hp even at level 6 and all the reduced damage, considering this class is all about close encounters it makes no sense that i should have to avoid close encounters.

What..? Are you talking about the chainsaw or the katana here? Chainsaw is utterly useless yes but since you used the word "swing" Id guess you ment the katana here in which case you are mad.

Katana can drop every specimen below scrakes and fleshpounds with one hit to the neck, hows that bad? And scrakes get stunlocked and are unable to attack you, leaving only fleshpounds to worry about.

Berserker is actually my favourite perk on suicidal, because I consider his chances of survival greater than the other perks simply because he can move quickly while using his MAIN weapon and doesnt have to reload at any point. Medic w katana is a good choice too but you can be grabbed by clots which can lead to death in some situations. Every other perk needs to rely on money and ammo which is scarce on suicidal (SS might be a bit of an exception tho).

Upvote 0
If the katana is overpowered, then why is there a general opinion that the Zerker is underpowered?

As already said the Katana is well balanced, it can hold its own, but it can't punch through a wall of biggish Zeds efficiently. That was what the Chainsaw was for back in the day. Bring back the chainsaw and the Zerker will follow. Entangler pretty much hit the nail on the head. Still not sure I agree with the axe changes without it having a price buff, but otherwise its spot on.

And Zerker doesn't do all that well against Husks or Sirens either unless they ambush em :D

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=43669&highlight=Fire

Last edited:
Upvote 0
wow how about we quit attacking me personally and assume I can play the game. I have almost 200 hours clocked in I'm missing 4 achievements and I have most of my perks at level 6 let's just assume I'm competent, I know you can use the crossbow and the katana I'm just say all the other perks can be used independently why not the berserker, if this perk is up to snuff then why do I have to borrow weapons from other perks to make it work?

You can play the game but clearly you don't understand it...

and Evilsod , yes Medic with xbow and katana is not useless but ABSOLUTELY USELESS
medic - katana+xbow= instant kick (unless he is last one standing and grabs one of those from the floor), because for sure when you'll see medic with this combo you know he is not going to do his job

Don't be such a ignorant fool. Just because someone has the Medic tag doesn't mean he is playing it to be a Medic. Everyone knows a) how strong its armour is, b) how strong the Katana and Xbow are without perk buffs and c) how good his heals are regardless. Fact is Medic with offensive weapons can kill just as easily as other perks, has more survivability than all other perks combined and his syringe is still 10x better than anyone elses. Plenty of times I've dropped back to heal people so I'm quite sure its not impossible to do both... its also far less tedious.

Upvote 0
@beerhead a lot of people go medic for the speed boost because then you can outrun the patriarch so there not useless

@HaTeMe I was referring to the chainsaw the "swings" comment was in the context to the gorefast's attack.

@Evilsod I clearly can play the game and I clearly understand it, I've been playing since retail was released and if there's one thing that everyone knows is there needs to be a lot of balancing and currently I just think that the beserker is underpowered. Like I said I want the chainsaw back to its former glory or a new weapon I'm not overly concerned with the katana I Just stated that it wasn't enough to balance the entire perk.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@Evilsod I clearly can play the game and I clearly understand it, I've been playing since retail was released and if there's one thing that everyone knows is there needs to be a lot of balancing and currently I just think that the beserker is underpowered. Like I said I want the chainsaw back to its former glory or a new weapon I'm not overly concerned with the katana I Just stated that it wasn't enough to balance the entire perk.

And clearly you are alone in that fact. Everyone and his dog knows the Chainsaw is gimped, the Katana is too easy for non-Zerkers to use and that there are a myriad of other balance issues. The Zerker has weakness, big deal, it overcomes most of them with a backup weapon, the fact you seem to think these spare 8 (axe) or 11 slots (katana) (or was it 9/12) cannot be considered in how balanced the perk is is what makes it clear you don't understand it. Hell you persistantly brought up Crawlers, which every Zerker knows are a pain but they also know that a) thats the point and b) they have ways of dealing with them.

Upvote 0
Nothing wrong with the Berzerker. The only problem is that his greatest strength - unlimited ammo - is downplayed due to the vast amounts of ammo that all the other perks have. I think the Berzerker could become indispensable with the inclusion of a new game mode, difficulty or a longer game length (so players can actually run out of ammo!)

The Berzerker is also very useful on "runner" maps like kf-farm, kf-wyre etc.

If TWI were to introduce leaderboards or weekly challenges into KF, where teams are scored based on efficiency, speed and other such factors, I'm sure a Zerker would become incredibly useful due to the "free" cost of ammo.

6-man berzerker teams can also easily take down the patriarch. They possibly offer the fastest way to kill the pat (unless detpack piles still work).

Upvote 0
Personally I agree with EvilSod, the Berserker class isn't underpowered or overpowered, the problem is the overpowered classes reign over it. Said it before, will say it again

Medic, Zerker, Firebug, Demoman = Balanced

Support, Commando = Debatable Overpowered

Sharpshooter = Overpowered.

The balanced classes all have things they are good against and bad against. Its usually quite hard to clutch (CSS term for being the last player and still winning the round) solo as one of these classes unless you get a bit of luck on the spawns.
e.g. the Firebug will fair well if there are no scrakes or FPs. If there is a Scrake, if played right, he might beat it, if there is a Fleshpound, he is toast.

Support and Commando are extremely versatile classes. The support lacks in range and due to his reloads and firing speed can find it hard to get his damage down, but in the hands of a decent player he can usually clutch the round without a massive deal of difficulty. The commando is the same. Although he isn't great against Scrakes and Fleshpounds, he isn't bad either, and his weaknesses are not bad enough to prevent him from clutching fairly regularly

Sharpshooter... dick...

Point: The Berserker is a well balanced class all he needs is his chainsaw to not be useless and hes a great perk again. His weaknesses should remain pronounced enough to keep him as a balanced perk.

Upvote 0
all I want is the chainsaw back, a new weapon like every other class I mean bezerker has had the same weapon since last august is an alternative if TWI doesn't want to give us back our chainsaw.

@Evilsod the only thing they have in common is that they are both said by you in the same context one after another, so I suppose your trying to say The berzerker is a well balance class with a myriad of balance issues. all i can say is k.

Upvote 0
@Evilsod the only thing they have in common is that they are both said by you in the same context one after another, so I suppose your trying to say The berzerker is a well balance class with a myriad of balance issues. all i can say is k.

Apparently it wasn't obvious enough that i was referring to the game in general... you know, given that the thing right before what you bothered to take was about the Medic. But hey, take it out of context and try to make a point on it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apparently it wasn't obvious enough that i was referring to the game in general... you know, given that the thing right before what you bothered to take was about the Medic. But hey, take it out of context and try to make a point on it.

You are really confrontational and insulting when it comes to debating an opposing viewpoint. Maybe if you wouldn't (and I mean this in the least offensive way possible) act like a douche to others, people would be more likely to engage in actual discussions with you.

Upvote 0
"Everyone and his dog knows the Chainsaw is gimped, the Katana is too easy for non-Zerkers to use and that there are a myriad of other balance issues." your telling me that refers to the medic perk?
Yeah this has become nothing more than a flame war with you and I'd kindly ask you to stop posting so I can engage in an actual conversation with someone, if someone has an alternate view I'm willing to hear it out but verbal attacks about my level of comprehension and skill are irrelevant to the topic.

Last edited:
Upvote 0