• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Bot farming really needs to end

From what I see you get 0 honor from killing bots? Also if bots weren't in the game this game would be even more dead than it already is (no offense). It is hard to find a full server full of people that has a low enough ping to be competitive.

Also if you playing with many people + bots, I think you should be able to get credit. Why not, half the time you can't tell if it is a bot or not. Also god forbid you get into a small room with a bot and their deadly melee abilities.

If there were a lot of level 50's running around and there was a huge disadvantage to new players, then I could see your point. I have yet to see a level 50 MG in the 77 hours I have been playing. Though chances are when someone comes around the corner lvl 50 or not, chances he is going to die. The only maybe unfair disadvantage I can see is with the mkb-42. I feel like I am cheating when I pick it off someone's dead body.

Upvote 0
PS: One thing that freaks me off however is the server filter. I think we all want that option in the server filter, where you can select to only see servers WITHOUT bots on them...
Use the Steam server browser; click the '+' column to show the number of bots playing on that server at that moment. It's more reliable than the in-game browser too.

Upvote 0
Honestly, WHY do bot kills and team points in bot-dominated servers count towards class progression, weapon unlocks, and honor level? Bots didn't count towards achievements in Ostfront--partly because they were dumb as rocks. Now, I hate to be harsh, but bots just aren't anywhere near smart enough to warrant counting towards unlocks and progression in RO2.

I should have thought that it would go without saying that only human players should count for stats progression. Allowing bots to count simply undermines all justification for the entire system to begin with.

I was initally surprised to see Heroes running around like headless chickens, committing basic errors, refusing to support their team, even teamkilling and griefing. Now I know why that's the case. :(

I hope action on this can be taken relatively soon--otherwise, so many players will be at an undeservedly high level that a stat reset will be required... and I'll lose my hard-earned PPSh drum magazine for the second time.

If they get so high so quickly you think they need a stat reset, #1 - there's a console command anyone of us can use to reset our stats at any given time we choose.

And #2 - Why do you care so much about what others do with the game they paid for, just like you did? I don't tell you how to play your RO2, and frankly, I couldn't care less what you do when you play RO2..... so again, why do you give a damn what others do?

It gives people something to play for when there are empty servers or only 1-2 humans in the map. If there was no leveling, and if there were no other human players to play against, most of those remaining human players will go elsewhere, or just stop playing, because, what's the point?

How many people do you remember seeing playing on empty Ostfront servers with just bots for very long? Most would just hop onto practice at that point, cuz there's no difference. In RO2, you actually have something that can entertain you a little while until more players showed up.

Many times when I play, I end up with only 2-3 other players out of a 64 or 32 player server, and I'm glad there's bots to keep things going.

And if I choose to bot farm on a server that doesn't give a damn, then I will, and I personally don't care what you or anybody else thinks of how I play my copy of RO2, especially when I still play the objectives and work as a team in the process.

Don't like it?

Head off to another server, or get your own.

Reactions: Meirleach
Upvote 0
If they get so high so quickly you think they need a stat reset, #1 - there's a console command anyone of us can use to reset our stats at any given time we choose.

And #2 - Why do you care so much about what others do with the game they paid for, just like you did? I don't tell you how to play your RO2, and frankly, I couldn't care less what you do when you play RO2..... so again, why do you give a damn what others do?

It gives people something to play for when there are empty servers or only 1-2 humans in the map. If there was no leveling, and if there were no other human players to play against, most of those remaining human players will go elsewhere, or just stop playing, because, what's the point?

How many people do you remember seeing playing on empty Ostfront servers with just bots for very long? Most would just hop onto practice at that point, cuz there's no difference. In RO2, you actually have something that can entertain you a little while until more players showed up.

Many times when I play, I end up with only 2-3 other players out of a 64 or 32 player server, and I'm glad there's bots to keep things going.

And if I choose to bot farm on a server that doesn't give a damn, then I will, and I personally don't care what you or anybody else thinks of how I play my copy of RO2, especially when I still play the objectives and work as a team in the process.

Don't like it?

I seem to have struck a nerve. Fine. Let the Level 50 Mkbs go forth and multiply.

Not sure if you read my second post later on:

"The only reason I care is that eventually more and more players are going to resort to bot farming, which means we'll see more and more MP40/IIs, dual-drum MG34s, fully auto C96s, and scoped and bayo-mounted Mkbs and AVTs at a faster rate than we really should. Need I mention that these weapons will all have 20% more ammunition, 20% less sway, 20% more recoil control...? I honestly am not working towards any more unlocks personally--my drum mag and bayonets for the bolt-actions and SVT are enough, thanks. In fact, I'm avoiding the MP40 and MG34 because I DON'T wan't to unlock their experimental versions."

Anyway, I'm done with this thread.

Upvote 0
I hate that people just think of games in terms of achievements. WHO CARES!? It doesn't matter who's unlocked what and how they unlocked it, the game is meant to be played for its gameplay! Not for unlocks!

There was a great video from a gaming reporter named TotalBiscuit in which he was saying that he hated all these achievements and unlocks in a game, which is purely in there to give people their shiny shiny achievements and mainly to keep people playing the game. Companies should be creating great addictive gameplay to keep their audience playing it.

So in reply to your post, why in gods name do you care about how another player unlocked his gun? What does it matter? You're playing the game to shoot him, not to beat him to the top rank or whatever.

/rantover

Upvote 0
I hate that people just think of games in terms of achievements. WHO CARES!? It doesn't matter who's unlocked what and how they unlocked it, the game is meant to be played for its gameplay! Not for unlocks!

There was a great video from a gaming reporter named TotalBiscuit in which he was saying that he hated all these achievements and unlocks in a game, which is purely in there to give people their shiny shiny achievements and mainly to keep people playing the game. Companies should be creating great addictive gameplay to keep their audience playing it.

So in reply to your post, why in gods name do you care about how another player unlocked his gun? What does it matter? You're playing the game to shoot him, not to beat him to the top rank or whatever.

/rantover
I think you're missing a few brain cells. It matters that some guy has bot farmed to get a shiny MG-34 with a billion rounds, MP-40 with dual mags, etc. Plus 25% (or is it 15%?) boosts to important weapon stats like recoil and max ammo capacity.

Also, you're holding contrasting views. How can you hold such a negative view towards these unlocks, but not be against bot farming to get them? That makes them even worse because you're not even remotely doing anything to earn them, other than wasting your time grinding.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Also, you're holding contrasting views. How can you hold such a negative view towards these unlocks, but not be against bot farming to get them? That makes them even worse because you're not even remotely doing anything to earn them, other than wasting your time grinding.

They're not really contradictory at all. Unlocks simply mean someone playing for longer has an advantage over a new player. Personal skill level and bots may change the leveling rate a bit, but it doesn't really change the result. Given time, everyone will max everything (and realistically not that long, considering how many people have various 50 unlocks now).

If you're fundamentally against unlocks, how fast or slow the unlocks happen is really quite irrelevant. The entire premise is flawed, little tweaks (such as to stop bots counting) won't really change that.

Upvote 0
Having percentage power ups to your weapons, new guns/equipment new players can't even use, servers with minimum honor levels... honor doesn't even work that way: it's a measure of time spent playing the game, not a measure of character or "quality" of a user.

Really the entire system, top to bottom, is flawed, and removing bot farming will do absolutely nothing to fix it.

Upvote 0
Unlocks simply mean someone playing for longer has an advantage over a new player.

Without unlocks, if I've played for longer I'm better with a rifle than someone who just started. Why put a bonus on top of that? The leveling and perks need to go. I am all for the leveling system being converted to cosmetic stuff, like veteran players get worn uniforms and scratched weapons while new guys have clean shiny ones, but that's it.

Upvote 0

/rantover

I partly agree with you. I personally don't play games in order to get unlocks or achievements. When I do get achievements in games, its something that randomly happens, I don't go through a 100 step tutorial in order to feel cool (wtf?) about earned unlocks in a videogame. Life has more to offer than that.

However, I don't really think unlocks and stuff like that are bad in all games. In my opinion they were really fun to have in Fallout: New Vegas. It was always fun to level up because you knew you could change something.

Unlocks..the longer you play the more advantage you get over other players. This is not logical in any sense to have in a tactical shooter. Everyone should be equal. The reason why it was implemented is quite simple: its been proven successfull in other games so its easy to copy and paste. Not very innovative at all. Thats another reason why it doesnt fit into RO2. Adding mainstream rubbish into an innovative tactical shooter simply doesnt work well.

In generall, I think I've said my opinion about that. Final word is that I wont play the game until unlocks, skillpoints, perks is history, along with other stuff.

Reactions: Apos
Upvote 0

Don't like it?

/agree to this post.

I know it takes forever to level up, and it's not because i've been bot farming myself because im not very far with any of the weapons. (barely just got bayonet for the Kar98, and still missing a few levels for the russian counterpart)

For those wanting to spent their time on botfarming i think it's okay.. it still takes FOREVER, for example i am at the moment attempting to level the Scoped G41 rifle, which untill lvl 25 only got a 1.5x scope, which is both bugged and STUPID. it's VERY slow to level this up versus players, as you not only have to be marksman but dont stand a chance against any other class, even rifles class will kill you quite easily at range..

Upvote 0
im really against farming levels and unlocks against dumb bots, it basicly removes the whole purpose of it, the unlocks should be just removed out of the game and levels should be there for status, we arent 10 year olds who clap or feel a overwhelming sense of joy when we unlock a gun or level, this shouldnt be COD.

Upvote 0
I seem to have struck a nerve. Fine. Let the Level 50 Mkbs go forth and multiply.

No nerve struck with me at all.... you're the one with the nerves on edge to bother posting your complaints and issues you have with how others play the game, suggesting they should be stopped somehow & acting like leveling up & unlocks are a competition.

I'm just trying to figure out why you're so butt'hurt over it and why you even care.

Not sure if you read my second post later on:

"The only reason I care is that eventually more and more players are going to resort to bot farming, which means we'll see more and more MP40/IIs, dual-drum MG34s, fully auto C96s, and scoped and bayo-mounted Mkbs and AVTs......

So?

.... at a faster rate than we really should.......

That's quite subjective.... what's an adequate speed of progression for these things?

Since the original stat reset, I've only leveled up 3 weapons above level 25 and just starting to get back to hero status on two classes.

I personally don't care how slow, how fast or how much others unlock or don't, because I'll still drop them just as fast as before, and if they have a better weapon than I do, I'll take it from them.

...... Need I mention that these weapons will all have 20% more ammunition, 20% less sway, 20% more recoil control...?

Again, so what? people are complaining already that there's barely any recoil & sway as it is, so 20% less of zero is still zero.

As for ammunition, there's plenty who are already fed up with not having their PPSH drum mag right off the bat and figure that bot farming is the best way to unlock something they should have had in the first place.... now you want them to have a more difficult time in getting something they thought they should have had right off the start..... so you don't solve one problem, you create another problem and the larger problem still exists.

I honestly am not working towards any more unlocks personally--my drum mag and bayonets for the bolt-actions and SVT are enough, thanks. In fact, I'm avoiding the MP40 and MG34 because I DON'T wan't to unlock their experimental versions."

If they make it so you can select the unlocks and features for your weapon, so you can choose a single mag MP40 or dual..... or dual drum or single.... then that too would solve a lot of problems. But this thread started because of your issue with bot farming..... now your problem is with the leveling/unlocks and how you now avoid certain weapons so they don't progress and change from what you like.

What's the point?

You avoid those weapons so they don't unlock new features because you like the way they are for you now..... but you don't use them so they don't progress, thus you don't use them at all..... which makes very little sense.

If you like those weapons as they are for you now and if you don't want them to level up to something you don't like..... why don't you just play on unranked servers??

Anyway, I'm done with this thread.

Ok, nice talking to you.

Unlock MKB is the easiest thing, becouse is so easy to kill with assault class.
Do you think all ppl who kill bots play for MKB?
What LV MKB you have?
I have LV 6.

I think mine's level 8... though it'd been since before x-mas since I played. :eek:

Last edited:
Upvote 0