• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Battle of Kursk is here.

cool. i like the new name. Belenikhino, it rolls off the tongue.
when you add the flowers, can you do daisies? my guys like making daisy-chains when they're not killing germans.

Getting out of their tanks to pick them is gonna be a bit of a problem then,although you could ask the little fairies to pop them through the hatch, did i mention that fairies in the woods would be a good idea?...........i like the way this thread is going..lol
Battle of Kursk-The Return of the Fairies.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Get real.........Ozzy wasn't born when the battle took place,totally unrealistic...lol
Anyway to get back to the real map, is it possible to have weather transitions eg: the map starts off in the early morning just after daybreak with the mist slowly rolling away, and as we get nearer to noon and the end of the map its a bright sunny day?
I like the idea of Panzers rolling out of the mist, to be confronted by the Russian tanks all charging at them.

Upvote 0
That sounds cool. The main technical problem at this point (which has to be solved before we can really get into the eye-candy) is how to get 4 milion square meters of wheat and rye fields built and not bog down players' machines. The crops play a role in hiding parts of tanks, so they're important. I won't be putting all that grass down, but am trying to come up with a way to suggest it, and have some of the effect, with low overhead cost. At the moment I'm building the rail line that runs down the center of the map and blocking in some other prominent features. Main concerns still are features that directly affect combat.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Getting out of their tanks to pick them is gonna be a bit of a problem then,although you could ask the little fairies to pop them through the hatch, did i mention that fairies in the woods would be a good idea?...........i like the way this thread is going..lol
Battle of Kursk-The Return of the Fairies.
these guys could do the job.
i love the idea of changing lighting. i'd vote to fight as the sun sets though, myself. i guess i'm just a night owl.:)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I and others have noticed that at long range you have to aim your T-34 gun to the right of where you want to hit. I think the sights need to be adjusted. The first place I'd look is to see whether the shell is emitted from the barrel or another point on the tanker's view. This wouldn't be noticeable on short stock maps but makes a huge difference at a thousand meters or more.

Alan Wilson confirmed they modeled both tanks to be zeroed horizontally at 300 meters. In other words, closer than 300 meters, the shot will land slightly right of the cross-hair, and past 300 meters, it will and to the left of the cross-hair. He mentions this was common in the war, and works fine for the ranges on the stock maps.

It's very obvious if you aim up at the sky, and fire a round. You will see it cross from right to left across the cross-hair. I have a series of screen shots on this post on the subject.

Huge maps like this, it become a problem. You can do some basic geometry to predict where to aim, if you know the offset distance from the gunsight to the bore line of the cannon. Every 300 meters passed, the originally sighted 300 meters, the shot goes 1 offset distance to the left. So if it's half a meter from the gunsight to the gun bore, at 600 meters, it'll be half a meter to the left. At 900 meters, 1 meter, at 1200 meters, 1.5 meters.

If you're in the T-34 using the periscope instead of the gunsight, I think it would be even worse.

I personally would prefer they be set parallel, like in RO1.

This is in addition to the common map bug that happens on some inclines.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
well that isnt fun with only 2 types of tanks.
what kind of tanks are you making for us on the sdk? or are you just using this thread, as a way to further your own agenda and complain about twi?
Alan Wilson confirmed they modeled both tanks to be zeroed horizontally at 300 meters. In other words, closer than 300 meters, the shot will land slightly right of the cross-hair, and past 300 meters, it will and to the left of the cross-hair. He mentions this was common in the war, and works fine for the ranges on the stock maps.

It's very obvious if you aim up at the sky, and fire a round. You will see it cross from right to left across the cross-hair. I have a series of screen shots on this post on the subject.

Huge maps like this, it become a problem. You can do some basic geometry to predict where to aim, if you know the offset distance from the gunsight to the bore line of the cannon. Every 300 meters passed, the originally sighted 300 meters, the shot goes 1 offset distance to the left. So if it's half a meter from the gunsight to the gun bore, at 600 meters, it'll be half a meter to the left. At 900 meters, 1 meter, at 1200 meters, 1.5 meters.

If you're in the T-34 using the periscope instead of the gunsight, I think it would be even worse.

I personally would prefer they be set parallel, like in RO1.

This is in addition to the common map bug that happens on some inclines.
this sounds like a great explanation, but i'm pretty sure when i was shooting at guys 400 meters away, i was missing five meters to the left. at least. further testing on my end is needed. thanks for the data. it'll come in handy when i test it again.

Upvote 0
I think if you were to transport the two farmsteads from Ogledow, with all the latest enhancements and improvements you made, stick them on the far right and left of the map opposing each other, it would make an excellent CA. map when we get the vehicles.
Infantry would naturally head for the villages for cover,while the tanks would have to try and cap/defend them,as well as the 4 capzones in the fields. (and the railway station)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That sounds cool. The main technical problem at this point (which has to be solved before we can really get into the eye-candy) is how to get 4 milion square meters of wheat and rye fields built and not bog down players' machines. The crops play a role in hiding parts of tanks, so they're important. I won't be putting all that grass down, but am trying to come up with a way to suggest it, and have some of the effect, with low overhead cost. At the moment I'm building the rail line that runs down the center of the map and blocking in some other prominent features. Main concerns still are features that directly affect combat.

I wouldn't bother with the wheat fields they're just eye candy,and wouldn't hide the tanks at all,most people know where to aim at on the enemy tank,the wheat would make no difference.(except perhaps on the skyline) With the trees and the wheat added i think the overhead cost will shoot up.

Upvote 0