• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Bad performance since new update

We're looking into these issues. There appears to be two issues being discussed here:

1) When a map first starts there is hitching (and sometimes a long freeze) when the zeds first appear. We are aware of this, and are working to resolve this issue. From what we can tell this actually happened in the previous update, but is perhaps worse now.

2) An apparent decrease in general performance (framerate). We haven't been able to reproduce this, but are looking into if we can reproduce it. In the meantime, please post your system specs if you are having this issue, as that will help us determine the cause if it is happening.

Upvote 0
We're looking into these issues. There appears to be two issues being discussed here:

1) When a map first starts there is hitching (and sometimes a long freeze) when the zeds first appear. We are aware of this, and are working to resolve this issue. From what we can tell this actually happened in the previous update, but is perhaps worse now.

2) An apparent decrease in general performance (framerate). We haven't been able to reproduce this, but are looking into if we can reproduce it. In the meantime, please post your system specs if you are having this issue, as that will help us determine the cause if it is happening.

#1 only used to happen in Foundry for me, but it's everywhere now. #2 is...just what it says on the tin... #1 is far, far more noticable, though, and gets me killed frequently.

System Specs:
Athlon 3400+
1 GB RAM (Will be 2 soon)
GeForce 6800GT (Latest drivers)
Win XP (Service Pack 3)
Computer is well-maintained (No spyware/malware, defragged, no unneeded background processes)

There's also the map-freezeing during loading/map change problem too, but Yoshiro said they're working on that too.

Upvote 0
I'm not having any issues with map slowdown because my computer can handle whatever the issue is but, Killing Floor has definitely become a memory hog now. Out of my 3gb of RAM I could run WC3 and KF at the same time and have only about 2.0-2.2GB of memory in use. Now with just KF active my active use of RAM has jumped to 2.6GB.

Upvote 0

Also, I'd like to say in a non-buttkissing way, that I'm incredibly impressed with this fast response! Within HOURS of the update, you guys hop on the forum to personally tell people that their problems are really being looked into!

That's not something you'd see in almost any other company and from a gamer's standpoint, it's amazing! Keep up the good work. I have faith in you guys to take care of it. Let us know if there's any testing you need us to do or things to take note of to help you get this fixed up!

Upvote 0

I am experiencing both of these problems when i ran at 70+ fps on normal settings with no motion blur. Now i cant run smooth on the lowest settings with out enough hickups to make the game almost unplayable!

Amd Athlon 64 3800+ 2.4 ghz
1 gig ddr (2 x 512mb)
ATI Radeon Saphire x1650pro 512mb AGP
Windows XP 32 SP3

Upvote 0
All my rigs have experienced the LONG load times, including the freezing in the first round, though to varying degrees. I'll post the specs of all my equipment:

Laptop 1 -
Intel Core Duo @ 2.16GHz
1GB DDR2 RAM (1 x 1GB)
ATI Radeon X1600 @ 256MB
Windows XP Home Premium SP3

Laptop 2 -
Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.66GHz
2GB DDR2 RAM (2 x 1GB)
Nvidia GeForce 8800M GTX @ 512MB
Windows Vista 32-bit Home Premium SP2

Desktop 1 -
Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67GHz
6GB DDR3 RAM (3 x 2GB)
ATI Radeon HD 4870 @ 4GB (2 x 2GB)
Windows Vista 64-bit Home Premium SP2

Desktop 2 -
Intel Pentium 4 @ 3.0GHz
1.5GB DDR RAM (1 x 1GB, 2 x 256MB)
ATI Radeon 9800 @ 128MB

Out of all of these, the most significant shock was "Laptop 2", which went from running the game at a constant 60fps with all settings on Higher to running at ~10fps with all settings on Low. Beyond that, the initial freezing in the first round refuses to dissipate like it normally does on my other machines, so the game is absolutely unplayable on this laptop.

All of these have had increased latency issues in terms of the first round of gameplay, as well as map-loading. The game has become absolutely unplayable on "Desktop 2" (although I use "Desktop 2" as my server, and it's still capable of handling that task perfectly. My friends and I connect just as we normally do, and the server runs flawlessly, so this might be indicative that the issue is video related).

Blah, hope that bundle of information contributes something to the devs. :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
All my rigs have experienced the LONG load times, including the freezing in the first round, though to varying degrees. I'll post the specs of all my equipment:

Laptop 1 -
Intel Core Duo @ 2.16GHz
1GB DDR2 RAM (1 x 1GB)
ATI Radeon X1600 @ 256MB

Laptop 2 -
Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.66GHz
2GB DDR2 RAM (2 x 1GB)
Nvidia GeForce 8800M GTX @ 512MB
Windows Vista 32-bit Home Premium SP2

Desktop 1 -
Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67GHz
6GB DDR3 RAM (3 x 2GB)
ATI Radeon HD 4870 @ 4GB (2 x 2GB)
Windows Vista 64-bit Home Premium SP2

Desktop 2 -
Intel Pentium 4 @ 3.0GHz
1.5GB DDR RAM (1 x 1GB, 2 x 256MB)
ATI Radeon 9800 @ 128MB

Out of all of these, the most significant shock was "Laptop 2", which went from running the game at a constant 60fps with all settings on Higher to running at ~10fps with all settings on Low. Beyond that, the initial freezing in the first round refuses to dissipate like it normally does on my other machines, so the game is absolutely unplayable on this laptop.

All of these have had increased latency issues in terms of the first round of gameplay, as well as map-loading. The game has become absolutely unplayable on "Desktop 2" (although I use "Desktop 2" as my server, and it's still capable of handling that task perfectly. My friends and I connect just as we normally do, and the server runs flawlessly, so this might be indicative that the issue is video related).

Blah, hope that bundle of information contributes something to the devs. :p

you have too many laptops. gimme. :p

Upvote 0
you have too many laptops. gimme. :p

Mine! ALL MINE! :D

On a more serious note, I've noticed something completely opposite of what I've usually been experiencing.

My dedicated server ("Desktop 2" in my prior post) was running KF-Secretpassage, so I decided to connect via WLAN from my laptop ("Laptop 1" in my prior post).

To begin, Killing Floor booted up in about a minute's time, which has never been the case. It usually takes roughly 3 - 4 minutes to do this on my laptop.

Once connected, my game loaded in a matter of 30 seconds. I experienced zero lag/freezes/stutters at the beginning of the game, all the way through to the end of the game. No problems whatsoever. It was absolutely flawless, and the loading times both for the map and the game itself were the fastest I had ever experienced on my laptop. Amazing, yet puzzling to me.

Note that I was alone in the server, however, I normally experience heavy lag/glitching in this scenario since the latest patch. Very strange. :confused:

The final thing, that absolutely blew me away, was when I closed KF at the end of the game, the entire game shut down in about 10 seconds and left me at my desktop. Normally, closing KF on my laptop is an agonizing 5 minute process, and even once the game is closed, I experience lag for upwards of 5 - 10 minutes. This time, nothing. It was a seamless transition, and it blew my mind.

Last edited:
Upvote 0