• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Bad performance since new update

I've had the game for about 2 weeks now but only really got to playing since the update. Since then I've tried all the tweaks and what not to get the game to run smoother but to no avail. And since I've mostly been tweaking after the update, I can't even say if the game would have run any better had I done what I've done now, before the update.

I haven't had trouble with loading times but my fps is horrible. Granted, my gear is not the best but I should be able to play with atleast 10-20 fps.

Specs:
Acer As(s)pire 5315
Intel Celeron M 1.8GHz
Intel GMA X3100 (965 Chipset)
2Gb RAM
Windows Vista 32-bit

Previously when playing I would get some 20+ fps at best (if you don't count the whopping 40-50 fps when looking at the ground, walls or sky). Then with increased action it would go down to about 10 (still playable) and at the very worst during heavy action, below 10. Sometimes at the lowest fps (approx. 1-4) I'd get the spinning models.

Now it seems whenever I start a game my fps starts decreasing rapidly. I'll start with 20 and soon enough end up with the slideshow of doom, complete with the 360 effect. Solo or multiplayer, it's all the same. This can also cause the sound to crack up.

I think I'll reverse all my tweaks and start from the beginning (I'm also going to experiment with extra cooling) but I'm certain there is something to be done on the developer's side to increase the game's stability and performance. I have already started looking for other better (cheap) laptops but I don't want to give up. Seems pretty stupid to buy a new laptop just because of one game.

Upvote 0
Glad to see this thread took off properly, thought it was going to get buried at one point.

Just interested if the Tripwire guys have had any luck recreating the bug yet and have any progress to report? Would love to get back to playing soon and have the upmost confidence that you guys will get to the route of the problem (and the many others that seem to be cropping up with Windows 7 etc).

Incidently the KF program taking an inordinate amount of time to unload when shut down and using huge amounts of system resources, as posted by others earlier, is also a feature of the bug I have been experiencing.

Anyway, hope you guys can cook up a fix soon and thanks for listening to our problems.

Upvote 0
What seems to be happening is the Unreal Engine has to tendency to double memory usage when loading files(without ever truly releasing that memory). On machines that were already using most of their memory(particularly 2GB machines), this is now causing things to end up in the page file, which means memory access time just shot up to match hard drive access time, especially when the big maps are loaded(Foundry, Bedlam, and Wyre). This is causing both the loading and the bad performance on a number of machines.

We are working on a solution to this issue and we expect to release the fix soon thereafter.

Upvote 0
What seems to be happening is the Unreal Engine has to tendency to double memory usage when loading files(without ever truly releasing that memory). On machines that were already using most of their memory(particularly 2GB machines), this is now causing things to end up in the page file, which means memory access time just shot up to match hard drive access time, especially when the big maps are loaded(Foundry, Bedlam, and Wyre). This is causing both the loading and the bad performance on a number of machines.

We are working on a solution to this issue and we expect to release the fix soon thereafter.
Thanks, hope you manage to find a solution quickly since bedlam and wyre look awesome, but i've not been able to play them at all due to the incredible performance problems.

Upvote 0
Let's see now...

Code:
October 29, 2009 - Killing Floor  Update Released

Updates to Killing Floor have been released. The updates will be applied  automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The major changes  include:

Killing Floor

[LIST]
[*]Optimized game content to reduce memory usage and improve loading times
[*]Fixed acheivements that weren't working, 3 Map Achievements for KF-Bedlam,  Dot of Doom, and Mr. Perky. Mr. Perky was appearing as though it had been  reset(it was working behind the scenes, but the menu functionality was not  working)
[*]Fixed an exploit related to weapon dropping/selling in the Perks system(that  people used heavily with the Medic Gun). This exploit could be used to buy a  weapon on a discount and give it to someone else that would sell the weapon for  a huge profit
[*]Fixed errors in Perk Descriptions (such as the menu saying the level five  Sharpshooter get Dual Handcannons, when he actually gets the Lever  Action
Rifle)
[*]Fixed exploits in maps Wyre and Bedlam
[/LIST]

Upvote 0
Let's see now...

Code:

Updates to Killing Floor have been released. The updates will be applied  automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The major changes  include:

Killing Floor

[LIST]
[*]Fixed acheivements that weren't working, 3 Map Achievements for KF-Bedlam,  Dot of Doom, and Mr. Perky. Mr. Perky was appearing as though it had been  reset(it was working behind the scenes, but the menu functionality was not  working)
[*]Fixed an exploit related to weapon dropping/selling in the Perks system(that  people used heavily with the Medic Gun). This exploit could be used to buy a  weapon on a discount and give it to someone else that would sell the weapon for  a huge profit
[*]Fixed errors in Perk Descriptions (such as the menu saying the level five  Sharpshooter get Dual Handcannons, when he actually gets the Lever  Action
Rifle)
[/LIST]
very nice.....but westlondon and foundry (basically, tripwire maps) still unplayable for me (stuttering and hitching), with custom maps zero problems. With the 1004 version the game performance was perfect.

athlon 64 2800+
ati radeon 9700 mobile
2GB ram
Windows 7

Upvote 0
Let's see now...

Code:

Killing Floor

[LIST]
Rifle)
[/LIST]
I still have very bad fps in game. :confused:

Windows vista home premium
Intel core 2 quad CPU Q6600 2,4GHz
Nvidia Geforce 8800gts 512
4,00 Gt RAM

Upvote 0
I still have very bad fps in game. :confused:

Windows vista home premium
Intel core 2 quad CPU Q6600 2,4GHz
Nvidia Geforce 8800gts 512
4,00 Gt RAM

I get maybe 2 FPS more after the 1009 update. Also TWI the advice "Disable reduce mouse lag" is invalid bacause yes it improves frames but I know many people who need it or there is like a 1 second delay on mouse movements and it is impossible to play like that so I have to have it enabled. But even with it off I get at least 20fps less than before the update. Is there a way for me to roll back the update because these weapons arent worth it if I still get 20fps less than I should. It isnt my harddrive I defragmented it. I have reinstalled,verified GCF ect and nothing works.

I'm running windows 7 ultimate 32bit and a compaq presario cq50. It runs a geforce 8200m 256mb and an AMD athlon dualcore ql-60 with 1.90mhz.

Also I used a windows 7 OEM torrent but its not a crack just an upload of a non serial requireing copy of windows 7 so that shouldnt be the problem. I also had the problem on vista too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ehrm, you know you admitted to pirating Windows 7, right?

Also, your CPU is horribly underclocked. Even my 20 year old PC is clocked faster with 8MHz, 1.9MHz is nothing.

Acually I was hoping to overclock the cpu but I couldnt find any good guides. I found one but the program used isnt on the web anymore. What do you think would be a stable OC amount? my guess would be around 2.2-2.3GHZ instead of 1.9. I dont wanna OC my GPU because it it frys im screwed. Same with the processor but I've heard of OC'ing a laptop CPU but not a GPU. Also I really couldn't care less if Bill Gates doesn't get my 200 dollars. Why do you think PCs get viruses and MACs dont? Its because Bill was such a great marketer but he marketet a ****ty operating system. But he did it so well that now hes freaking rich beyond his wildest dreams. Makes me wonder if he makes a new OS every time he spends a couple million just incase he thinks he might run out of money.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Disabling reduce mouse lag is a valid option. Just make sure that tripple buffering (or was it trilinear filtering) and vsync are off when reduce mouse lag is off.

The mouse lag of one second is created by vsync, and reduce mouse lag reduces the mouse lag when vsync is used. If both however arent used you get much more instantanious control over your mouse and some free fps to boot. If reduce mouselag didnt have a big effect on fps then the videocard in this case is bottlenecking.

Can you tell how much memory your vidcard got, and when did the issues start with the release of the level up thingies or the one before it. Can you try changing the use system driver, either turn it off or on depending on the current state.

But did you try setting all settings to the lowest yet, and slowly turning things up it could be that something has been defaulted on or whatever that created the lag.

Note though that talking about software piracy in the forum of a software developer aint the best thing to do...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Disabling reduce mouse lag is a valid option. Just make sure that tripple buffering (or was it trilinear filtering) and vsync are off when reduce mouse lag is off.

The mouse lag is created by vsync, and reduce mouse lag reduces the mouse lag when vsync is used. If both however arent used you get much more instantanious control over your mouse.

I dont use Vsync and i still get the mouse problems. It happens as my frame rate gets lower. this doesnt happen in HL2.

Upvote 0
Well then you definitely need to turn of reduce mouse lag, as when youre entering the low fps realm it creates more mouse lag than it cures.

Try disabling mouse smoothing as well, some settings in ut2k4 created mouselag. And atleast in the menu you should be able to resolve it all. And have things perfectly responding

Make sure your laptop is in performance mode, try turning all settings to the lowest as a test. Try turning off precaching as well if you havent yet. (try out the 30 day trial of perfectdisc and do an offline defragmentation, i got similar issues when my metadata was ****ed up).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well then you definitely need to turn of reduce mouse lag, as when youre entering the low fps realm it creates more mouse lag than it cures.

Try disabling mouse smoothing as well, some settings in ut2k4 created mouselag. And atleast in the menu you should be able to resolve it all.

Make sure your laptop is in performance mode, try turning all settings to the lowest as a test. Try turning off precaching as well if you havent yet.
Tryed all and it helped abit. Also I just overclocked my laptop GPU to the max. It will probably only last me 2 more weeks now instead of 2 more years but w/e

Upvote 0