• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Apocalypto

No English are being killed in this film, right?

That's a huge step out of the box for Mel.

:D:D:D

Looks to be a good movie. Certainly Mel has said some truly stupid things, but his movies are top notch. Haven't watched Passion of the Christ, but all his other movies(both just as a Star or made by him) have been great, excluding a few like "What Women Want"(which was ok, but chick flickage). We Were Soldiers, Braveheart, The Patriot, and of course the Mad Max series are all fantastic. Even his mediocre movies stand out in their genres, Lethal Weapon series, Conspiracy Theory, and Payback are all very enjoyable.

Upvote 0
I just saw the movie tonight.

It was good, I thought, but I wish it was more historically situated. A little more intrigue and a little less action would have been nice. But still it was a good one to watch.

I would love to see a conquistadores movie. I would be happy if Mel Gibson made it, too.

The thing that I like about Mel Gibson is that he uses the correct languages -- incorrect languages have always ruined immersion for me. So he gets a thumbs up from me.

Upvote 0
Sorry to bump this (How on earth do you see the age of a thread??)

Just saw it last night & bloody loved it (like all of Mels films cept Passion of the Christ)

The costumes and sets were spot on and the acting from all these unknowns was a breath of fresh air!

I really think there was still a subliminal message in this film (which I was expecting) and seeing the Conquistadors landing at the end confirmed this for me! Beautiful ending btw! :)

This is why I think Mel made this film:

The Spanish invaders were blessed by the Catholic Royalty of the time and had the blessing of the Church. But this period is seen as a time when the Spanish came to plunder the Continent and wipe out entire civilizations through slaughter and disease!

But the film depicts the Mayan people as pure savages (not all but most) that needed salvation. If not by their own will then by sheer force! Whos bloody traditions needed to be eradicated and whose backward culture just had to be Christianized!

I believe that this was the right thing to do as it was the ruling classes of the Mayans, Inca or Aztec who benefited from brainwashing their people with their knowledge of astronomy and the movement of the heavenly bodies ie 'controlling' lunar eclipses!

Brilliant film, and I commend you to watch it! Every step of the way, I kept asking myself 'Why on Earth did Mel Gibson decide to make this'. Now I know why, and I respect his film making even more now!

Upvote 0