• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Apocalypto

According a scholar of meso-american civilisations who reviewed this film (sorry, I can't remember his name but it was someone from a top UK university) the sacrifice scenes were so much BS, a complete overblowing of the facts.

I would not make a sweeping statement about the people of this region or their civilisation on the basis of a Hollywood film.

BTW does anyone else not think that his Mrs and kid were down in that hole for a veeeeeerrrrry long time?

Upvote 0
According a scholar of meso-american civilisations who reviewed this film (sorry, I can't remember his name but it was someone from a top UK university) the sacrifice scenes were so much BS, a complete overblowing of the facts.
Don't trust anything Nestor says as he's a fraud himself trying to lure people with false advertising links in his signature! :mad:

Just kiddin' :D

Upvote 0
It was quite a good movie, almost redeeming after that incredibly bad piece of snuff/anti semitism/guilt propoganda that was the Passion of the Christ.
I didn't think Passion was anti Semitic. I thought it just loosely followed the story of the Crucification of Christ... the Jews did hand Jesus over and freed Barabbas... I thought it was pretty good for a snuff film, it was sad to see the look in Mary's eye when she saw what The Romans did to her boy.

Nestor said:
I doubt some pompous bozo at Oxford could really tell you what life was like in Mexico back then. I doubt Cortes could fully understand, and tell you WTF was going on, and he met the people. And after the Spanish wiped out their culture, most of their history was lost to the ages.

I saw a Documentary on PBS where a American Uni. Bozo was telling tales of tens of thousands of sacrifices performed over the course of a few days, in several different cities across the empire. He also had a surgeon perform the heart extraction with a real piece of obsidian to test if the huge sacrifice was even possible in the time frame.

One of the things that make the Native Americans so interesting is the culture of sacrifice and the little we know about them.

Upvote 0
Sacrifice

Sacrifice

I saw a Documentary on PBS where a American Uni. Bozo was telling tales of tens of thousands of sacrifices performed over the course of a few days, in several different cities across the empire. He also had a surgeon perform the heart extraction with a real piece of obsidian to test if the huge sacrifice was even possible in the time frame.

For the dedication of the Templo Mayor in 1487, it is said that between 20,000 and 80,000 captives were sacrificed over a four day period. The lines of captives were said to extend a mile in each direction on the great causeways leading to the island (currently downtown Mexico City.)

Part of my motivation for making the RO Aztec Empire mod is to test stuff like this: how many bots can we fit on the temple stairs to sacrifice, what does an army of Tlaxcallans look like as they attack a town, etc.

Kind of tempted to see it, but still hesitant. Maybe a good rental at some point...

Polygon, go pick up the dvd; there's a "making of" section with some good info (though not a lot) on the cg for the film.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I didn't think Passion was anti Semitic. I thought it just loosely followed the story of the Crucification of Christ... the Jews did hand Jesus over and freed Barabbas... I thought it was pretty good for a snuff film, it was sad to see the look in Mary's eye when she saw what The Romans did to her boy.
Oh it was, very subtle though, small things, like the people on Jesus side looking all clean and humble and the Jews against him looking dirty, dishevelled and raving for blood or completely greed driven and decadent. From what I understand too it took great liberties in regards to the bible story in this aspect as well. I also think it's funny to talk about who really handed over who and did what in a fairy tale (but hey that's just my opinion on the bible in general).

Even aside from this, it just was not good cinema, the screen play was terrible and the direction clumsy and over bearing. The movie was just one tremendous heart string grab designed to guilt/shock people into taking up Christianity, call me a cynic but that's the way it rubbed me. It failed though because Gibson overused every cliche and trick in the book to pluck at your heart strings to the point of pathetic overkill. I laughed at this movie and I tell you what I wasn't the only one in the cinema doing so, not by far. I wasn't laughing at the violence, or out of any sort of disrespect of the Bible in general, I was laughing at the construction of the movie itself.

Anyway I don't care to get into a debate about the merits of 'The Passion' here, all I can say is Apocalypto as a film was much better in construction and direction in my humble opinion. Hence my 'redeeming' comment.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think even historians believe there was a guy named Jesus who took one of the most monumental *** kickings of all-time. From one of, if not the most savagely brutal culture on record.

This movie gave me graphic insight to the reality of Life under Roman Law. It makes the Romans seem a lot less Glorious than a movie like Gladiator. Witnessing one of the tens of thousands of crucifixions performed by the Romans would probably be a lot more horrible than what Gibson created on Film. And what does that say about Jesus' fellow Jew Dudes in that place and time that would offer up someone for that kind of punishment. :eek:

It must have sucked *** to have lived life back then.

As cheesy and Bruckheimer-esk as some movie formulas have become, the sound and cinematography are still way better than the movies Hollywood was putting out 30 years ago. That is half the reason I go to see movies like Apacalypto and 300.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
And what does that say about Jesus' fellow Jew Dudes in that place and time that would offer up someone for that kind of punishment. :eek:

That's a very moot point mate, it's like saying what does it say about the French, Czech, Channel Islanders or Poles during WW2? You'll always get people who betray during occupations, it's nowt new or special.

Anyway, as regards to Apocalypto, I really didn't enjoy it to be honest. The story was dull, the main character only seemed to feel pain from injuries for aslong as it took the audience to forget about them, the attacking tribe were shown as some weird freak show and bits like the Jaguar just seemed to be thrown in for the gore factor.

No point mentioning whether it's authentic, as we all know from Gibsons past films that he really doesn't care about that stuff. Still, as fictional as things like Braveheart were, they were still good films because they atleast had a story that kept you interested. Meh, I dunno. Some people seem to like Apocalypto, and each to their own, and I gotta admit there were some bits I liked (the plague along with the landing of the Europeans was a nice touch), but overall I was just bored in too many places.

Upvote 0
Sure who hasnt had a rant while being lead away by the bulls. Imagine a nice summer morning spent drinking vodka in staggering amounts. A small disagreement with the Mrs. and you head off to your comfy couch in the the kitchen with your laptop and MTW:2 a morning having your Poles sort out the Moors will calm you down. a knock on the door "love will you get that? I am really sorry bout yellin at you".Bang bang!!." love get the door!" Knock Knock!! "oh bugger off" I think as I head to the door a quick look through the peephole I notice the magnifying effect of the fish eye lens as 2 9mm barrels look like 68lb carronades. "Wtf??" I am thinking as I open the door hands up"can I help you fine gentlemen" as 2 members of hamburgs finest point their Sigs(I think) at me head. Deciding while this is totally uncool and perhaps I should do what they say no matter what my angry instincts say. Whatever people think or say when it happens to them. when someone points a weapon at MY head I get MAD and wish to hurt them seriously. But having no idea why the hell the polizei is at my door and not wishing to be brought up on serious charges I go along with them. The Mrs. comes out at this point and says " I told them you hit me" Well great. Anyways in the back of the car on the way to the station I taunt them telling them my Opa was 3 times the man they are and if he was still about he would beat them like the little coward they are and his k98 with bayo would pwn their little 9mm penis extensions in a fight and launch into a Mel Gibsonesque rant. 1 hour later I am let out and goe home throughly mad. So I can understand and if anyone else says they have not had a Mel Gibson rant while being led away drunk then they are obviously Sen. Larry Craig. Oh and when I was let out they had 4 of them in staggered positions for covering fire, with 2 female officers farthest away. Obviously my remarks struck home earlier and I could not help but taunt them further and ask them if they were frightened of me in my fruit o teh looms. Being arrested sucks especially for no reason

Last edited:
Upvote 0
motivatortradition.jpg

Upvote 0
I think even historians believe there was a guy named Jesus who took one of the most monumental *** kickings of all-time. From one of, if not the most savagely brutal culture on record.
This movie gave me graphic insight to the reality of Life under Roman Law. It makes the Romans seem a lot less Glorious than a movie like Gladiator. Witnessing one of the tens of thousands of crucifixions performed by the Romans would probably be a lot more horrible than what Gibson created on Film. And what does that say about Jesus' fellow Jew Dudes in that place and time that would offer up someone for that kind of punishment. :eek:
As cheesy and Bruckheimer-esk as some movie formulas have become, the sound and cinematography are still way better than the movies Hollywood was putting out 30 years ago. That is half the reason I go to see movies like Apacalypto and 300.

well said buddy (as is most of your stuff), but as usual it's too far above the usual suspects around here.

Upvote 0

Watch Life of Brian :D

Upvote 0