• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Anti-tank rifle vs infantry

People seem to be misunderstanding what I wrote as me having a bash at the Soviets. It in no way was however!

What I said applies to pretty much ALL Anti Tank rifles of the war (safe maybe from some of the much more unwieldly "mini cannons" out there *cough* Solothurn *cough*), be it Russian, British, German, US or Japanese, it doesn't matter. These things weren't meant for shooting at human sized targets at long ranges (see: Sniping), they were meant for taking out light AFVs, and that at normal ranges of 300m and closer.

In short, the German panzerb

Reactions: Tank! and LemoN
Upvote 0
And your contribution here is what? :rolleyes:
Attempting to point out the frivolousness of arguing with this guy.

The same could be said about your post, but of course no one ever asks themselves intellectually demanding questions like that.

I find it very hard to believe that what he is saying is true at all. The modern day barret sniper rifle is an evolution of snipers using m-2 browning 50 cal heavy machine guns to snipe enemy combatants at long distances. I have no experience firing a ptrd, but I think it's safe to say that a bullet that big will not travel 300 meters and just fly off on some tangent without an external force applied.

Upvote 0
but I think it's safe to say that a bullet that big will not travel 300 meters and just fly off on some tangent without an external force applied.

You've not used horrible ammunition then. :rolleyes:
I've had 70's yugo 8x57IS that had a spread of at last 1m diameter at 100m.

And btw, at last has a point and puts up proper reasoning. ;)
Some of you people have absolutely ridiculous ideas about the PTRD and it's effectiveness as an anti-material rifle against infantry.

Last edited:
Reactions: CopperHead
Upvote 0
Everyone seems to be busy worrying about ballistics and what happens once the 14.5 is inside your body.

But what about the psychological impact of using a weapon that can defeat all but the hardest cover? You could make an entire enemy team hesitant to use cover that could stop even an 8mm if they know one of the 25 players on your team is consistently turning otherwise good cover into concealment with an anti-tank weapon. You wouldn't even want to attempt hiding behind things that couldn't take a 14.5, just in case that one bastard is watching and waiting for you to stand still behind that concealment you thought was cover.

I'll be using the anti-tank rifles as terror weapons.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlackLabel
Upvote 0
You've not used horrible ammunition then. :rolleyes:
I've had 70's yugo 8x57IS that had a spread of at last 1m diameter at 100m.

And btw, at last has a point and puts up proper reasoning. ;)
Some of you people have absolutely ridiculous ideas about the PTRD and it's effectiveness as an anti-material rifle against infantry.

Well, I guess if only what you say is ever factual then anyone who disagrees with you is bound to be wrong.

I've used yugoslavian ammunition. I've used ammunition that was so old I had to open the bid green canister with a can opener. It must have been packaged in the 60's at the latest.

So even if what you say is true. and i believe you, that a bullet can have a deviation, if their are the right conditions. but you have to be a drop dead fool to think that every single round ever fired will act in that way. it's just not logical thinking. One of those rounds will hit the target. One of those rounds will travel 800 meters and hit a torso. It WILL happen, not because i say it does, but because their are certain laws that govern the probability of it happening. Much like an steroid, just wandering in the universe with no real guidance or force directing it to any certain place WILL impact the earth at any given time.

Maybe not for another hundred thousand years, maybe tomorrow(Yikes).

With the different rules behind what govern a projectile from a gun. With that long of a barrel. I would be surprised if out of what, 19 rounds that you get by default in ro you could not hit a torso at 800 meters with the iron sights.

but I'm sure you will disagree, and that's fine to. You get entrenched , and so do I. The point really is. THIS IS A VIDEO GAME! Chillax brosif. It doesn't really matter that much, and i could care less if you know emphatically that you are right just cuz' .

Upvote 0
So even if what you say is true. and i believe you, that a bullet can have a deviation, if their are the right conditions. but you have to be a drop dead fool to think that every single round ever fired will act in that way. it's just not logical thinking. One of those rounds will hit the target. One of those rounds will travel 800 meters and hit a torso. It WILL happen, not because i say it does, but because their are certain laws that govern the probability of it happening. Much like an steroid, just wandering in the universe with no real guidance or force directing it to any certain place WILL impact the earth at any given time.

Seriously, did some of you guys develop problems with reading comprehension in the last month?

NOBODY ever stated that it's impossible to hit anything at 800m, heck, I didn't even want to get involved in this debate about the accuracy of the weapon itself but simply stated that with the sights of the PTRD it would be hard to hit a barn at 800m, let alone a human sized target and that the ranges where you'd benefit from the high powered round are well beyond the "effective range" of it's sights.

Seriously, some of you guys are absolutely overreacting. :rolleyes:

1: The PTRD was ineffective against med-late war tanks.
2: Why do you say the PTRD can't penetrate any tank?
1: It's hard to hit a human sized target at 800m with the crude PTRD flip sights.
2: Why do you say it's a physical impossibility that any round could possibly hit at 800m?

*Facepalm*

Seriously, I've run into this phenomenon at last 10 times in this thread alone. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Seriously, did some of you guys develop problems with reading comprehension in the last month?

NOBODY ever stated that it's impossible to hit anything at 800m, heck, I didn't even want to get involved in this debate about the accuracy of the weapon itself but simply stated that with the sights of the PTRD it would be hard to hit a barn at 800m, let alone a human sized target and that the ranges where you'd benefit from the high powered round are well beyond the "effective range" of it's sights.

Seriously, some of you guys are absolutely overreacting. :rolleyes:

1: The PTRD was ineffective against med-late war tanks.
2: Why do you say the PTRD can't penetrate any tank?
1: It's hard to hit a human sized target at 800m with the crude PTRD flip sights.
2: Why do you say it's a physical impossibility that any round could possibly hit at 800m?

*Facepalm*

Seriously, I've run into this phenomenon at last 10 times in this thread alone. :rolleyes:

What I think is amazing is your lack of humility. It seems like you will do anything to come out on top. As long as you can absolve yourself of being wrong in any way. Hey drive on hero. :rolleyes:

Reactions: [TW]schneidzekk
Upvote 0
Unfortunately.
LOL I think anybody today who would say that they would willingly throw themselves into the most deadly, devastating, and brutal war in human history just because it would be "cool" is not thinking about the ridiculousness of such a statement.

We should be utterly thankful that we don't have to ever experience such a war, and that earlier generations did that for us. Am I saying that if I lived back then and were drafted that I would just run away and hide? Of course not, but knowing what I know now about that horrible war, I could think of a million things I would rather be part of.

Sorry about this diatribe, but it bugs the hell out of me when people say "Gee wouldn't it be awesome go back and fight in WWII?!" No, no it wouldn't. We'd probably all be dead in the first minute, or first month. If we were lucky (especially on the Eastern Front).

Upvote 0
What I think is amazing is your lack of humility. It seems like you will do anything to come out on top. As long as you can absolve yourself of being wrong in any way. Hey drive on hero. :rolleyes:

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showpost.php?p=729903&postcount=45

:rolleyes:

Seriously now, I simply do not accept bull**** reasoning and the deliberate re-interpretation of things I say or said.
If you can actually go ahead and give me any reason as to why the PTRD's standard sights are good enough to relieably hit a human sized target at 800m then please do so, if you don't then please don't insult me or play "Mr. Freud".

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The original 800m range quote came from me when I said I would expect it to be used against EMPLACED Infantry/Gun positions UNDER 800m.
These are area targets, not point targets.

The PTRD has two sights, one fixed for 100-400m and the other for 400-1000m.

That right there speaks volumes. The weapon's effective range against Armour is considered to be under 400m.

I still think it would have a very straight flight path, but agree that the standards to manufacturing ammunition would have kept the accuracy low.

For example typical .50 BMG ball is less accurate than 7.62mm ball. M33 produces 12in at 600 yards and M80 produces 7.5in. This is according to the manufacturer. That is why there is match grade ammunition for Anti-Materiel Rifles today; .50 Mk211 Grade A, .50 M1022, .50 A-MAX, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: TT33 and LemoN
Upvote 0