• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Another Great Reason Why KF > L4D

I wonder how much I care about others opinions.

A fact: L4D is still being played by more players than Killing Floor.

A fact: Killing Floor is already losing players.

I highly look forward to L4D2. Valve will probably include as unlocks or just simply already include the whole first game to play over with the new director AI.

Anybody who thinks KF is a better game than L4D obviously doesn't own it or just simply doesn't know how to highly cooperate with teams in games.

Upvote 0

I highly look forward to L4D2. Valve will probably include as unlocks or just simply already include the whole first game to play over with the new director AI.

Anybody who thinks KF is a better game than L4D obviously doesn't own it or just simply doesn't know how to highly cooperate with teams in games.

People (such as yourself) are entitled to their own opinions. For me, KF is better, it has more variety and suspense than L4D. And yes, I own both games. These KF > L4D threads are silly.

Upvote 0
People (such as yourself) are entitled to their own opinions. For me, KF is better, it has more variety and suspense than L4D. And yes, I own both games. These KF > L4D threads are silly.

Does it? It has a larger number of weapons and foes than L4D thats for sure, but it plays out in the exact same way every time, foes turn up in the same waves every time. Fleshpounds are the only serious threat.

Both games lack suspense after you've played them for a while and both games have variation in different ways.

Upvote 0
Does it? It has a larger number of weapons and foes than L4D thats for sure, but it plays out in the exact same way every time, foes turn up in the same waves every time. Fleshpounds are the only serious threat.

Both games lack suspense after you've played them for a while and both games have variation in different ways.

Both games have good and bad points. I just prefer KF.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LoL @ L4D is being played by more players. I'd really hope so, but TBH it doesnt seem like it. Can't ever get a normal or advanced game on any stage except the first one. Thats pretty pathetic IMO. You can get expert games pretty easily, but can't ever get what you need for the achievements because of the player base which has moved on to pro level of play.

Other than that... for 20 bux this game kix L4D square in the nutts. I never have a problem playing any stage on any difficulty at anytime on KF. Thats another reason KF>L4D! ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Agreed, they do both have good and bad points. Also, something that a lot of people don't really think about is that they aren't the same kind of game. The style of gameplay is quite different, and I think a person can get equal fun out of them for separate reasons.

I'm sure you know why they are always discussed about. They are zombie shooter/survival type games. And they are the only 2 out to debate over. So enjoy... It makes sense to debate/discuss their differences, pros and cons. Its apart of the zombie shooter type of game play that people are liking.

One is older and people want to move on with KF being the substitute until better is presented and then some.:cool:

Upvote 0
KF v L4D

KF v L4D

L4D2 sequel being made less than a year after its debut?? No thanks, I'm not going to spend an additional $60.00 for 4 new campaigns using the same game engine L4D 1 used & a few new melee weapons that I have no interest in using to begin with.

KF has more weapons, enemies & customization out of the box then L4D ever has at a fraction of the cost.

KF > L4D

True but they are both the same thing being racist to zombies lol :D.

Upvote 0
KF is great for what it is, a polished mod that deserves a $20 price tag.

Its really not in the same league as a big budget shooter like L4D.

I've already grown bored of the repetitive gameplay that you can basically call a glorified shooting gallery. Shooting the heads off slow and predictable AI got old pretty quick.

KF doesn't offer a versus mode which is a shame. since that was the best part of L4D.

I look forward to L4D2 since valve said they'll address all the gameplay mechanics that were flawed in the original.

Upvote 0
Who knows? By the time L4D2 comes out we might all be playing RO2. I want lots of great games to be developed by everyone so I can play them all. I'm not going to spend 12 hours a day in a bloody office earning a wedge so I can come home and deny myself good gaming entertainment while drinking my Pinot Grigio. If its good I'll buy it and play it. I've bought 2 tripwire games so far both of which I get huge entertainment from. Long may it continue but only a fool doesnt buy a good game made by someone else out of somekind of misplaced loyalty.

Upvote 0
[URL]http://www.fpsbanana.com/news/19579[/URL] - 20+ weapons, plus the fact that there's new enemies to be found, 5 full campaigns including Survival and Versus, and a new game mode. Sorry boys, this sequel will easily blow the first game out of the water and make KF forgotten.

[URL]http://www.fpsbanana.com/news/19577[/URL] - This confirms the fact that Valve is going to work on character development. Get ready for intense cinematics and a really nicely worked storyline. This also shows the rumour of the first game connecting with the second game.

LoL @ L4D is being played by more players. I'd really hope so, but TBH it doesnt seem like it. Can't ever get a normal or advanced game on any stage except the first one. Thats pretty pathetic IMO. You can get expert games pretty easily, but can't ever get what you need for the achievements because of the player base which has moved on to pro level of play.

Other than that... for 20 bux this game kix L4D square in the nutts. I never have a problem playing any stage on any difficulty at anytime on KF. Thats another reason KF>L4D! ;)
Considering you're talking out of your ***, I won't feel bothered by those statements.

You have no idea the amount of L4D players versus the current amount of KF servers. Not only that but there are three different game modes in L4D, all of which have close to full servers constantly.

I almost never find anything but a Suicidal or Normal game in KF, and I constantly join sandbox games that disable my hard earned perks.

3/4 of the time I can't connect to a server because of either no player slot, horrible ping, different map or mutator downloads that take 20 minutes, or just some weird connection error.

I don't know if you've played L4D recently, but the whole matchmaking system works everytime now for me. I can currently find a game in every difficulty and find it open. Not saying the players are always the best, but for what I find in KF it's pretty much the same.

I've already grown bored of the repetitive gameplay that you can basically call a glorified shooting gallery. Shooting the heads off slow and predictable AI got old pretty quick.

KF doesn't offer a versus mode which is a shame. since that was the best part of L4D.
That's the whole reason I still repeatedley play L4D. That and all the user mods that change the game in incredible ways. Something that still doesn't exist for KF, seeing how moddable it is.

Who knows? By the time L4D2 comes out we might all be playing RO2. I want lots of great games to be developed by everyone so I can play them all. I'm not going to spend 12 hours a day in a bloody office earning a wedge so I can come home and deny myself good gaming entertainment while drinking my Pinot Grigio. If its good I'll buy it and play it. I've bought 2 tripwire games so far both of which I get huge entertainment from. Long may it continue but only a fool doesnt buy a good game made by someone else out of somekind of misplaced loyalty.
IF RO2 comes out, I'll cream my pants.

Current - Peak

12,174 - 18,356 Left 4 Dead
2,024 - 2,548 Killing Floor
Enough said. =D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Surely the best thing to do is to play both? Though 40 quid does sound rather steep and I'd prefer to pay 20 quid since its basically an expansion.

Emphasis mine. Exactly. There is no reason you can't play both l4d and kf and enjoy both. As to the cost, yeah, I wish the expansion was cheaper but I will pony up the cash for a quality game.

I am waiting on KF to add maps and other content to KF in one of their frequent patches. Hey tripwire, how about more player models?

Upvote 0
http://www.fpsbanana.com/news/19579[url]http://www.fpsbanana.com/news/19579[/URL] - 20+ weapons, plus the fact that there's new enemies to be found, 5 full campaigns including Survival and Versus, and a new game mode. Sorry boys, this sequel will easily blow the first game out of the water and make KF forgotten.

[url]http://www.fpsbanana.com/news/19577[/URL] - This confirms the fact that Valve is going to work on character development. Get ready for intense cinematics and a really nicely worked storyline. This also shows the rumour of the first game connecting with the second game.

Considering you're talking out of your ***, I won't feel bothered by those statements.

I had to register for this one, because quite frankly you're the one talking out of your *** here.

As pointed out by the L4D2 Boycott group (which I won't link here because it would be distasteful in a competing game's forum) see this link: http://www.videogamer.com/news/valve_details_post_left_4_dead_launch_plans.html

Specifically, Gabe Newell is quoted as saying:

"So we'll do the same thing with Left 4 Dead where we'll have the initial release and then we'll release more movies, more characters, more weapons, unlockables, achievements, because that's the way you continue to grow a community over time."

None of which has been received by people who paid the full retail price for the game. Therefore Valve's promises are hollow at best. Nothing they say could impress me into purchasing their newest game, because its existence is a statement that they're all but abandoning this one.

You might be optimistic and say that simply isn't so, but we all know how full their plate is with making updates for TF2, another Half-Life game, and promised things for Counter-Strike: Source that have never surfaced.

You need to face the facts here.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the recent content patch will be among the last -- if not the last -- patch to the game itself. The SDK is only out in beta while they're already going ahead with another game? At what point did this seem like a good idea to you?

There are plenty of bugs in L4D too, as seen here:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=751344

While Killing Floor is just getting better every few weeks, Valve has been extraordinarily slow in fixing anything within any reasonable timetable.

And now, they probably never will.

You have no idea the amount of L4D players versus the current amount of KF servers. Not only that but there are three different game modes in L4D, all of which have close to full servers constantly.

Do you have any idea how hard it is to currently keep eight players in a game in L4D? Especially if you're any good at Versus. Sure, Killing Floor may not have as many, but they stay a hell of a lot more. Those that don't fail to have as much of an impact on the game as they do in L4D, where a single player leaving your team can ruin any chances you had of winning.

I almost never find anything but a Suicidal or Normal game in KF, and I constantly join sandbox games that disable my hard earned perks.

That almost sounds like you work for Valve public relations. I've had no problems finding perks-enabled games of any difficulty with open slots since the game was released, and with 10 wave default settings.

3/4 of the time I can't connect to a server because of either no player slot, horrible ping, different map or mutator downloads that take 20 minutes, or just some weird connection error.

Are you sure we're playing the same game? If you check my profile, I've logged plenty of hours in KF, and I don't experience much of this.

I don't know if you've played L4D recently, but the whole matchmaking system works everytime now for me. I can currently find a game in every difficulty and find it open. Not saying the players are always the best, but for what I find in KF it's pretty much the same.

The lobby system is STILL BROKEN IN LEFT 4 DEAD, almost a year later. STILL. They still have not fixed not being able to get players after a game is finished, and sometimes it oddly breaks all on its own. Enforcing a console style lobby on PC users when you have a tried and true server browser system was utterly retarded in the first place.

And despite it being the most played mode, you can't find a Versus game in every difficulty, because Valve hardlocked them to Normal -- essentially forcing server admins to fall in lockstep with a basic setting so that they didn't have to redo the lobby system to permit separate difficulties.

Mentioning difficulty, Normal Versus mode is disgustingly easy for anybody with any talent at the game. It only reaches any difficulty when you're facing equivalently skilled players, or people on your team leave you hanging to fend with less on your team.

This, in turn, makes L4D an exercise in raising one's blood pressure rather than having fun. You can't count on any public teammates, the game is sometimes ridiculously easy for one team over the other, the list goes on and on.

Suffice to say, if you're having fun with it, I envy you.

I have a feeling, however, that many people are simply fooling themselves into thinking they're having fun, to justify not thinking about how they got screwed out of $60 or so -- or even simply because their friends are playing it. I stopped doing that about two weeks ago, and let me tell you, it's quite liberating. You should try it.

That's the whole reason I still repeatedley play L4D. That and all the user mods that change the game in incredible ways. Something that still doesn't exist for KF, seeing how moddable it is.

Most of the user mods you speak of that change things in 'incredible ways' aren't really that great. Mostly because until the SDK, no actual major changes could be made to the guts of the game.

And you think L4D2 coming all of the sudden is going to make L4D's modding community any better? Now, anybody who makes anything for it stands the chance of wasting their time to a captive audience that's about to be split in half at the very least.

Upvote 0
Does it? It has a larger number of weapons and foes than L4D thats for sure, but it plays out in the exact same way every time, foes turn up in the same waves every time. Fleshpounds are the only serious threat

Does it? It has more polish than KF thats for sure, but it plays out in the exact same way every time, the players just stack up in a corner or a closet and just shove/shoot everything that comes along. Tanks are the only serious threat

See what I did there?

While I agree that there should be more suprises and variation in KF, I like the core gameplay and realism of KF much more.

I was looking forward to L4D more than any other game ever since it was announced a couple years ago, but after about a month, I rarely played it anymore.

The main reason I got tired of L4D is because of the corner-camping crap. It's part of the game mechanics that non-intuitive, lame tactics like that actually work in L4D and it's all anyone does anymore. I had fun with the game until everyone apparently decided that this was the only viable tactic and started complaining or votekicking anyone who didn't go along.

I like that doing that in KF will lead to a very quick death. I like defending choke-points instead of just letting them all enter the room and shooting and shoving them from your cozy little corner. The only time people deviate from this is when the tank shows up, then when he's dead, they stack up in the corner again.

I think the main reason this happens is because of the smoker. While I like the idea of the smoker, I don't like how it leads people to defending from a corner or a closet instead of actually trying to keep infected out of an area using chokepoints. The fact that players can clip inside each other is also part of the reason. Another contributing factor is the ability to shove back ten or more infected at at time with a right-click and to do so repeatedly (although there is a cool-down on it now, which helps a little).

To me, based on the tons of zombie movies I've seen and much time thinking about zombies, the main concern in a zombie game should be not getting surrounded. This is at the core of traditional zombies--they're slow and dumb, but they keep coming and coming day and night until you're surrounded and you can't escape. KF gameplay fits into this archetype, whereas L4D does not. I'm aware that neither game has traditional "zombies", but KF is the closest to the traditional ideal of the slow but steady advance of a zombie horde.

I could get into the philosophy of zombies and how they're a metaphor for the inevitability of death, but that's a subject for another thread.:D Let's just say I have a probably unhealthy level of interest in zombies and that as a zombie nut, KF is to me the closer to the zombie game ideal of the two games.

Upvote 0
Current - Peak

12,174 - 18,356 Left 4 Dead
2,024 - 2,548 Killing Floor

So? That doesn't mean a damn thing. McDonald's may sell more hamburgers than a nice local restaurant, but that doesn't mean it's better.

L4D had the marketing that comes along with being released by a company like Valve, whereas KF didn't. L4D also had the level of polish that comes with that.

KF is a niche game just like RO and I'm fine with that. Tripwire doesn't have to try to be all things to all people like a bigger company releasing a mainstream game would. KF is free to be more hardcore and realistic than the arcade-style gameplay of L4D and I appreciate it and enjoy it much more for that. RO may not have the playerbase that a Call of Duty game does, but I absolutely feel it's the best WW2 shooter in existance. As the saying goes, "CoD makes you feel like you're in a war movie--RO makes you feel like you're in a war".

I'd rather play a game with a nice tight-knit community of real fans instead of the collection of random jackasses I almost exclusively run into on L4D. I refuse to play L4D with anyone but friends anymore because I almost never run into decent, mature groups. It seems like half of the number you quoted are griefers, rage-quitters or exploiters and I don't have fun playing with them. The majority of people I play with in public servers in KF are overall pretty decent, on the other hand.

In short, numbers of players is not necessarily any indicator of quality. The Sims series is the best-selling PC game series in history by far. Would you consider it the best PC game series ever? I wouldn't.

Upvote 0

You seem pretty good at it yourself:D
I mean, if my opinion consisted of picking and pulling everyones quote out of the thread and being an a$$ about each and every persons opinion...*because you're obviously a L4D fanboy* I might end up as cool as you one day. Learn to make sense and then we might be able to see past your BS. Other than that you're just trolling.

Don't see why anyone would be bothered with my opinion anyway... hard up on yerself a bit much?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jeez wtf was that. That post was so defensive its almost as if you believe it might be true. (although what was true i dunno)

At no point did i say ANYTHING about the number of players making it better, infact, i said nothing at all but the figures.

Does it? It has more polish than KF thats for sure, but it plays out in the exact same way every time, the players just stack up in a corner or a closet and just shove/shoot everything that comes along. Tanks are the only serious threat

In Versus maybe. In Coop, which is really the only way to compare the 2 games, stacking in a corner and dumbing down the game is your own damn fault. It doesn't play out the same way, enemies coming from different sides on this game doesn't mean much, on L4D it can take you by surprise and kill you.

Upvote 0