• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

An Update on ATI Crossfire?

I love the people that say (I get over 80 FPS, whats the problem guys?) FULL OF you know what lol.

I say the people that have top end machines me including get the same fps, I don't know why people are making up lies about there fps rates lol it is clearly broken you are not making yourself sound like you are uber cool and awesome because you spent $4000 on a custom machine and get amazing fps BECAUSE YOU DON'T.

You people are mad that you spent all that money on top end machines and lie about getting 80-100 fps, you are all tools lol and only lying to yourselfs

it is getting fixed and optimized don't lie about your fps because we can all read the people that are being honest with the exact same rig's you are running and they get half of what you claim to get, just stop making useless threads and replys

Reactions: Thaelyn
Upvote 0
While it may well be in AMD's hands now, I wish the Dev's would just tell us what is going on or if they know what the problem is. I don't mind waiting, after all this IS A BETA. I'm pretty sure everyone or at least most people here are in the same situation. Any news is good news.

Don't think I'm not grateful for the bugs being fixed, I am super happy about this kind of response from the Dev's. But what about us that spend money on nice PC's as a hobby......

Upvote 0
First off if you went with cross fire or mufti GPU configuration stuff like this is typical at launch and one of the reason I chose to buy a 6950 instead of a second 5850. Crossfire profiles and fix will be released but not often at launch and this is still the beta. Now with the increasing number of people ruining muti GPU's I wish it was not this way but unfortinatly it is.

I'm not saying performance is fine I'm having similar issues on my 6950 and the card is only ever stressed 60% according to AMD overdrive yet if I ran on max I have lag issues and I don't think my 1090T is the issue.

Also SolitarioSoldat is 100% right! Quad fire is total impractical and every thing else he said as well!

Upvote 0
When you guys are done with the "holier than thou" because you don't own the hardware that the OP does, perhaps you could ask some more useful questions?

TheAngelKing, what resolution are you running and what video settings do you have in game? Crossfire may have a bug but in my experience it still scales a little, albeit not well. My two 6950's manage ok-ish provided I'm running a single monitor. Eyefinity on the other hand appears to have a serious bug and chews up GPU cycles like crazy without actually doing anything.

Apart from STAT FPS, try another command, STAT UNIT. It will give you four (usually) numbers. The first is the total time taken to render each frame. The second is the time taken per frame for the CPU to run the game code, the third is the time taken to render the scene and the last is the time taken for the GPU to fully process the scene (it includes the time taken for rendering). What you want to be looking at is those last two numbers. Are they close together or is there a big difference between the render time and the GPU time?

My system in Eyefinity has 15-30ms extra on the GPU when it should only be about 3-10ms depending on settings. Once you have that metric on, I'd suggest lowering various in game settings to see what makes a difference. Start with shadows, they hurt the most. I'm running them on low at present as I get the biggest boost from that. Also, turn Ambient Occlusion off, as it gives quite a hit to GPU time. The third thing you can try is lowering the lighting detail. That will make things start to look pretty bad though, so I wouldn't take that too far just yet.

Those things should help get your framerate into the realms of playable while waiting for a fix.

There is one more thing you can try too, but no guarantees. In the console, type "umbra culling". There will be no prompt to say that you've entered it, nothing to tell you at any given time whether it's enabled or disabled, but watch your framerate. It will drop briefly and then climb back up again, possibly higher than before. If things are worse, just type it again to switch it back.

Reactions: private_douglas
Upvote 0
It is impractical, good thing i'm not using it :rolleyes:
dude you do whatever you feel like,Imma speak from my perspective when I shut down the second 6870,turned shadows to medium,lowered AA somewhere in the middle and I get steady 60FPS (55-80)...

Dont be a hot head,remove the Cf bridge,and try to disable the 2nd chip of the GPU trough the ATI tuning software,you will see your FPR sky rocketing from 20 to 60...

The other guy said after 10.10 drivers is imposible,first time I hear about this,but maeby he is wrong,give it a shot and if it works at least you'll play the game in peace.and then when drivers have been released your CF will perform better,but not the quad setup I guarantee you that.Dont mean to bring you down bro but I would sell one of that card while still holds its price.

Upvote 0
I too have 2 x 5850's and it runs like 30 fps on high, but when i disable crossfire I'm getting 60-80 fps at all times with one card... So weird.

The devs recommended that us with crossfire for right now use only one card instead of both as it runs better for some reason. They are in touch with AMD/ATI about it, should be fixed shortly.

Upvote 0
You seem to know everything about Crossfire so I have a question for you. On my 6970's there are two Crossfire bridges, does this mean im running Quad? Since each of the cards have 2 GPU's
The 6970 is a single GPU card, so no, you're not running in quad. As far as the two bridges are concerned, you can use one or two, it's not supposed to make any difference. I've seen arguments about it but the official word is that it should act the same regardless of whether one or both are used.

Upvote 0
You seem to know everything about Crossfire so I have a question for you. On my 6970's there are two Crossfire bridges, does this mean im running Quad? Since each of the cards have 2 GPU's.

u say u have 6970 thats dual gpu but it isnt its only single gpu,the 6990 is dual,which one you have?
dont matter how many cf bridges u have,some people plug 2 of them but its not necesarelly,dont give any performance boost.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheAngelKing
Upvote 0
Disable vsync if you haven't already. That will cap you to 30fps if it's unable to hold steady at 60fps (which it can't). Also try disabling Framerate Smoothing, I find that it reduces my fps rather than increases them. That will remove the 62fps cap as well.

Did you try umbra culling? What about running STAT UNIT, is your GPU showing unusually high numbers compared to the DRAW stat?

Upvote 0
I'm not running Quad Fire. I'm running two Dual GPU Cards in Crossfire. YES that is 4 total GPU's. Telling me my processor is not enough to push those cards is the craziest thing I have ever heard. Yes I built my own PC. If it comes down to it i'll simply have the game refunded.

$700 Piece of Hardware that works > $40 Software that does not :rolleyes:

That's consider quad fire. You can run into performance degradation with Quad-fires. Not saying it's your issue though.

Upvote 0
There is no way to disable crossfire on a 6990, it's not possible with any driver versions after 10.10 (I think this is the driver version)

It's a dual GPU card and the way it is made means it must always run with Crossfire enabled.

You can still do it with Radeon Pro [url]http://www.radeonpro.info/en-US/[/URL]

You can also do it via the registry, but I wouldn't trust any of you kids around it. :D

Upvote 0