• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

An Update on ATI Crossfire?

TheAngelKing

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 23, 2011
Not trying to be needy or take away from the work you are already doing, but can we have an update on what is going on with the crossfire issue?

I'm running

2x ATI 6990's
16 GB of GSKILL Sniper DDR3
Windows 7 x64
AMD Hexacore Black Edition

Obviously you can see my hardware can shred the game, as it sits now I see distant soldiers running in stop frame animation. The FPS lag spikes are terrible. I really want to help test the game ( why I paid ) But as it sits the game for me is unplayable. :confused:

Thanks.

EDIT: Have done all workarounds/updates

Last edited:
Not trying to be needy or take away from the work you are already doing, but can we have an update on what is going on with the crossfire issue?

I'm running

2x ATI 6990's
16 GB of GSKILL Sniper DDR3
Windows 7 x64
AMD Hexacore Black Edition

Obviously you can see my hardware can shred the game, as it sits now I see distant soldiers running in stop frame animation. The FPS lag spikes are terrible. I really want to help test the game ( why I paid ) But as it sits the game for me is unplayable. :confused:

Thanks.

EDIT: Have done all workarounds/updates
Ok first of all I will guess that you builded your own rig and that iven if you builded your self you ended up spending a big chunk of money for it....If you had it some inetrnet vendor building it for you,well then thats just plain waste of money and I will thell you why:

1.You dont sport crossfire m8,you are running QUAD fire...(im sure you know that already)

2.You dont gain anything with more than 2 GPU's in games,actually you end up losing FPS and game becomes buggy and problematic,tri-fire,quad-fire......

3.Games have issues with dual cards these days and iven if game gets optimized better by the dev team and the vendor new released drivers and you actually see 80% increase over a single card,do expect to have minimal hiccups from time to time.BC2 for example was a hicup and a half.As for tri-fire or quad fire in your case well m8,your better off shutting down one of your GPU if you want hustle free gaming.....

4.What in earth told you that your CPU or any other hexa or soon to come out hexa/octa from sandy bridge(strongest Intel) can actually push them 2 cards of yours to be fully utilised in gaming??? when comes to gaming the GPU are the legs but the CPU is the blood flow,you got no blood flow,you got no legs to run.I can maeby see 2 years down the road a CPU that can actually push 2 of the 6990's but then I doubt that they will be properly utilized in any games....

5.The only good Tri-fire and quad-fire is good for is a 20-30 min benchmark on furmark or some other stress software....

Sorry to say this but you end up spending lots of money for incoming future headache.You could of been just fine with 2x 6970 or 2x 580's...Iven the strongest I7-2600K OCed to hell cant push these dual single GPU's to its full potential,and yet you bought AMD x6 for quad set up,damn homes....My advice sell one of the 6990 and save your self some money and headaches while you still can,the 6990 are still popular and are short on production....

Im running two AMD Radeon HD 9670 in Crossfire and I dont have any problem. Running with 80-100 fps almost everywhere.
Ok...now go in game,turn on fraps or type the FPS command in the game console,pick up the PPSH,get into fight with someone who is returning back fire and while you aim and shoot that PPSH look how the game becomes sort of laggy or glitchy and then look how your FPS drop to 30-40 FPS...

I get good 80-100 FPS with my 6870's but.......they tend to drop to 30 ish when bugs start to show...after I disabled one of the cards,I get steady 55-60 FPS....with very few bugs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rumo
Upvote 0
I'm not running Quad Fire. I'm running two Dual GPU Cards in Crossfire. YES that is 4 total GPU's. Telling me my processor is not enough to push those cards is the craziest thing I have ever heard. Yes I built my own PC. If it comes down to it i'll simply have the game refunded.

$700 Piece of Hardware that works > $40 Software that does not :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
As a side note this is the only game that does not function with my crossfire setup. That includes my steam games list. ( 257 games )

I'm waiting to be able to use the eye candy TWI said that would be available to those of us that have systems to support it. I find it hard to believe that in Alpha testing/early Beta, no one was having Crossfire issues. Or people just had mediocre rigs.

Upvote 0
I'm not running Quad Fire. I'm running two Dual GPU Cards in Crossfire. YES that is 4 total GPU's. Telling me my processor is not enough to push those cards is the craziest thing I have ever heard. Yes I built my own PC. If it comes down to it i'll simply have the game refunded.

$700 Piece of Hardware that works > $40 Software that does not :rolleyes:

As a side note this is the only game that does not function with my crossfire setup. That includes my steam games list. ( 257 games )

I'm waiting to be able to use the eye candy TWI said that would be available to those of us that have systems to support it. I find it hard to believe that in Alpha testing/early Beta, no one was having Crossfire issues. Or people just had mediocre rigs.

this is where you are wrong bro,having 4 cards placed in the 4 PCIe slots in your mobo or having 2 with dual processor in them its not Crossfire,its Quadfire.

I dare you to run any current game on the market and check for FPS,you will see that if you turn off one of the cards you will have more FPS,you actually lose with 3 or 4 GPU processors.

As for your AMD x6....I got the same bad boy OCed to 4.0ghz,the reason why I went with 2x 6870's is because it wont push 2x 6970 to its full potential...Heck iven newest I7 sandy OCed to 5.0Ghz fail to push 2x 6970,let alone 2x 580's or in your case 4x 6970's?!?!?!?!

Go and see benchmarks from 2x 6970's, 2x 580's vs 2x 6870's and you will understand why I bought 2x 6870's,difference is ridiculous small between 5-12%,funny thing is in few games the 6870's scaled better and came out on top with 1-2FPS higher than the 580's and 6970's.

its not always to blame on the devs for the way the game performs,I know they will try their best to optimise it and I'm sure they will fix lots of things,but the true core of performance is most on the gaming engine and GPU drivers side.

Upvote 0
Following your logic, and to entertain myself, I disabled Crossfire. So now i'm firing off of one 6990. Same framerate as before (14-29)

Unless you have the ability to alter the instruction set on the CPU, and move some things here an there on the registers.......... your CPU isn't going to bottleneck your cards. My CPU can handle the instructions and data flow that those cards are providing. Now if you will read this

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=58894

There is a clear problem with Crossfire. I want to know when I can test the Beta I paid for. I'm all for getting this problem hammered out for TWI's sake and my own, but if it comes release time and I have had no experience with the Beta at all...... I will be pissed. There is at LEAST 10 people in the gaming community I run that cannot play due to ATI/Nvidia high end cards. For a game that was boasting the ability to "crank up" the goodies..... well I don't see it.

By the way on your logic too, one 6990 should read in my system as still having Crossfire. So in theory disabling crossfire would shut down all but one core and read as one card.... yeah? Why doesn't it? Why is there not a support for two Crossfire Bridges on the cards? It's painfully obvious that you are an average end user trying to talk the tech talk like you know somthing. While you may know how to Overclock your hardware, and put together your own PC, unless you have an update on what is going on don't post. I'm not here to entertain your ideas on how dual GPU cards work. I'm here to get an answer on why the game was advertised to run on high end systems when clearly it does not. :D

Reactions: XDC nOm
Upvote 0
Following your logic, and to entertain myself, I disabled Crossfire. So now i'm firing off of one 6990. Same framerate as before (14-29)

Unless you have the ability to alter the instruction set on the CPU, and move some things here an there on the registers.......... your CPU isn't going to bottleneck your cards. My CPU can handle the instructions and data flow that those cards are providing. Now if you will read this

[url]http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=58894[/URL]

There is a clear problem with Crossfire. I want to know when I can test the Beta I paid for. I'm all for getting this problem hammered out for TWI's sake and my own, but if it comes release time and I have had no experience with the Beta at all...... I will be pissed. There is at LEAST 10 people in the gaming community I run that cannot play due to ATI/Nvidia high end cards. For a game that was boasting the ability to "crank up" the goodies..... well I don't see it.

By the way on your logic too, one 6990 should read in my system as still having Crossfire. So in theory disabling crossfire would shut down all but one core and read as one card.... yeah? Why doesn't it? Why is there not a support for two Crossfire Bridges on the cards? It's painfully obvious that you are an average end user trying to talk the tech talk like you know somthing. While you may know how to Overclock your hardware, and put together your own PC, unless you have an update on what is going on don't post. I'm not here to entertain your ideas on how dual GPU cards work. I'm here to get an answer on why the game was advertised to run on high end systems when clearly it does not. :D

Look buddy first of all I can assure you that your hexa wont push ONE 6990 to its full potential,I guarantee you with my life!!!

Fine lets say I have no clue of PC specs right,IDK if AMD vision(thats the tool given when you download your driver) it gives you option for disabling Quad fire,I know it gives me crossfire since I have 2 cards only with 1GPU chip on it...

If quadfire isnt alowed to be disabled in the software,then do this please and humor this amateur fool.

-open PC side window LOL
-do not remove the card,just disconect or remove the Crossfire bridge.
-open amd vision software
-disable Crossfire(which should only leave you using 1 Processor on 1 of your cards,the other card is totally disabled since CF bridge was removed)

start up game and see what happens,oh and since we are at it you already should have all the 6970 shaders there just the speeds are clocked to 6950 speeds to keep temps down due to the fact u have only 1 fan cooling both chips.Raise up the clock speeds to match the stock ones of the 6970 and dont forget to see whats the voltages on the stock 6970,you might have to raise that one up....

try this and tell me what you get in game,I bet youll have 60FPS....

Reactions: Rumo
Upvote 0