• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

An Appeal for the success of classic mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many times does he need to say this before people start actually reading what he said

Yoshi

There not making and not many actaully want a carbon copy of RO1

What many want is the feeling that combat in tha gave less run and gun feel more christ i got to be careful how i move here

that feeling with the good bits of RO2 would be perfect all it needs to make it 100% for me is weapon drop on shot back and one weapon at time

Eh.. just read this post from Ramm, and see if it still seems that cut and dry to you afterwards:
http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showpost.php?p=1024605&postcount=68

I don't know about you, but i'm seeing an awfull lot of "No we won't do that, because that's not how it was in Ro1" in what Ramm is saying there (and he's part of the design team, Yosh is not).

Upvote 0
better than it is now. Yes perhaps. But if we are on the business of improving it why not actually make something better?

And I highly doubt you actually mean you want ro1 again.

No sight adjustment
no mantling
more fluid movement
partial reloading

are just a few examples of things that I think are large improvements from game one to game two. I dont want to loose all of those becaues I have some nitpicks with some other elements.

Lets work together to fix what we have, not throw it all in the waste bin and start from scratch again.

Peer pressure doesnt work as well over the interwebs. It is likely some people do like this game, I don't want to tread on their game as much as I want them to tread on mine.

i agree with them 4 points are a improvement but the majority gameplay is inferior to RO1 still, them points still arent game breaking, more has changed and has been missed out then actually been improved upon and the overall package of the game is less fun, so the changes/improvements didnt work...

obviously i hope this classic mode brings the game back to where it should be

Upvote 0
i agree with them 4 points are a improvement but the majority gameplay is inferior to RO1 still, them points still arent game breaking, more has changed and has been missed out then actually been improved upon and the overall package of the game is less fun, so the changes/improvements didnt work...

obviously i hope this classic mode brings the game back to where it should be

amen

Upvote 0
Not sure about what you mean with that Grobut, on one hand we been asking for RO1 style back now Ramm says ok he's still being painted as the evil one

We need to be careful here we dont throw the baby out with the bath water

They've said there making changes - I say now lets wait and see what the proposed beta test throws up and further info makes things clearer

One thing we need to understand is somethings are hard coded in RO2 and may not be that easy or quick to change so some things like it or not are going to stay simular

Upvote 0
And I highly doubt you actually mean you want ro1 again.

No sight adjustment
no mantling
more fluid movement
partial reloading

Sight Adjustment is a useless feature, cause its a waste of time to use it.
So why anyone would want to remove it - nobody has a advance of it.
Any RO:OST fanboy asked for removing the sight adjustment???
And RO1 had no partial realoding like COD or BF. The reloading at RO1 is
working like in HOS. When your mag is half empty and you reload, then
the mag is put half empty to your mag pouch. And when you cycle thru
the mags, you

Upvote 0
Your venom sir, is aimed at the wrong target.

I would also suggest you try and understand someones perspective before launching full on into calling them retarded. In fact I am not sure if your post is flame bait, sad troll material, or your actual opinion.

Not that it is even worth the effort to type this, I will anyways. I have been, and will continue to be, a large proponent of an actual realism mode. This is why I created this thread, I am not interested in ro1 with ro2 graphics. I want a game that incorporates many of the things you mentioned in your rant. I also find it beyond hilarious that Devs can claim that the requests of the community towards realism are somehow less realistic then RO2 often plays out. ( IE double tap a guy to the chest and he bayonets you and then throws on a bandaid and keeps going. OR the ridiculous stopping and aiming. Or even how good the characters are at keeping the weapon sights perfectly lined up. ). It is because I want this realism that I made this post to ask as nicely as I could that the powers that be please just give people what they have been begging for instead of starting to dictate that this mode will be a 'classic' mode because we dont want realism annd that certain features that will be in this mode. Despite the part where there have been small books written here about how those particular features are about as welcome as the Germans were when they asked if they could come over for coffee in stalingrad.

All of that said, Ive made my piece. And before this thread goes the way of the endless bickering, I would like a moderator to please lock it. It has served its purpose to ask for some greater cohesion, we have only now to look to the future to see what will happen.

tl:dr. Mod please lock thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: TravisT
Upvote 0
Which is the result of a terrible netcode ( major lags in PvP battles). No one plays Arma MP because it is only worth to play with friends in COOP.

ARMA2 is definetly NOT dead. It never had a big (or great) pvp scene which i dont think was ever touted as teh major game mode, but the coop gameplay is still very much alive. ive been playing it almost exclusively for these past weeks

In fact i must say that ARMA2 is really the only FPS out there that gives me an adrenaline rush, and sometimes i dont even fire a shot.

I cant tell you how fun it is to grab a uh-60 blackhawk, fly in formation with other choppers, drop off your squad in the city, and fly a holding pattern around the AO providing cover fire.

Then you land grab your squad and ferry them to the next AO.

It s real rush when your're CASEVACing downed pilots and you can hear the 'ping' of the bullets against your helo.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Before the thread is locked I'd just like to add that I also have worries over the success of this mode as some of the TWI staff tend to have a character of a varlet and their promises fluctuate. And although RO2 has many great vogues, the Ramm's fixation about mkb particularly has struck me somehow empirical, thus making it uncertain whether our pleading will eventually be heard and the mode will be relieved from mkb. Also I hope the sprint speed will finally be reduced to RO1 as Ramm's admitted that he was wrong regarding the scale comparing RO2 and RO1. But the obdurate nature of Ramm and his beliefs how their current RO2 is realistic prescinds the current expectation to receive the authentic product. Beacuse despite people desperately endeavour to induce Ramm's farcical design choices to desist, he keeps remaining firm in his negations.

Upvote 0
Another of the devs suggested that the majority of the dev team supported the 'classic' load out of making the rifleman the mainstay of both armies. The Glorious Leader apparently made a unilateral decision to overrule this consensus. Of course, this post was taken down in short order.

After that glimpse of what goes on 'behind the curtain', I don't think TWI can really act surprised or offended when customers start asking for the individual who exercised that veto to take a step back from the design process.

Reactions: Grobut and TrOOper
Upvote 0
The worst thing for me is that even as far back as the beta there were a lot of polls and threads begging for some more realism instead of just removing the mini-map.

But it takes half a year and a nearly bled out game to convince them there is something the people miss.

The RO classic mode should have been considered straight after beta imho.
The only reason I have RO2 installed is because the classic mode will come sometimes... I really have some concerns, but in the end they only have to alter a few parameters, so I hope they don't try to hard and just listen to what people want.

The latest explanation of what the team wants generally had the good idea of what we (at least me) want, so I hope they fulfill that 'promise' (by lack of knowing a different english term:p)
Yes, exactly. The community has been crying out for a mode like this since day one. Hell, me and a bunch of RO1 vets were already using the term "RO Classic" in discussions about RO2 back in July. I used that term in some private conversations with one particular RO2 developer, when explaining to him what I thought RO2 would need to make most of the RO1 players happy.

Boy how I hate being right ... I figured they would come but could have never imagined gameplay changes wouldn't be considered until months after release when the game was basically already dead in terms of player numbers. I feel as if all of this could have been avoided if action was only taken sooner.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Boy how I hate being right ... I figured they would come but could have never imagined gameplay changes wouldn't be considered until months after release when the game was basically already dead in terms of player numbers. I feel as if all of this could have been avoided if action was only taken sooner.

Hm, I have to admit that pre-release I didn't see the problem of RO 2. Unfortunately, I couldn't join the beta (was not invited), plus I didn't have the chance to play it through the DDE beta timeframe (I was on holidays).

What really makes me speechless is how the game turned out to be upon release. I mean, any company, no matter the product has a quality control system and I tend to believe that TWI doesn't have it. As strange as this sounds. But for me it's hard to believe that TWI didn't notice at one point during production, that there are gameplay issues as well as technical/optimization issues.

About a year ago, I was betting that RO 2 would be released in February of 2012 due to the historical relevance of the release date being in accordance to the end of the battle of Stalingrad, as well as to avoid the competition with Cod, BF3 and Skyrim.

Now if I am thinking of what could've been if I was right... I mean just think of it: 6 months pre-release for bug fixing, a real beta, finetuning, the making of a real realism and relaxed-realism distinction, evaluation of player feedback on the beta, maybe adding all the promised content upon release like the MP-campaign. My god, it's such a pitty. And the way it turned out now, I can only say that RO 2's potential was so high, but now falls under the category "high potential after failure, still working on it". It's a shame...

Upvote 0
Yes, exactly. The community has been crying out for a mode like this since day one. Hell, me and a bunch of RO1 vets were already using the term "RO Classic" in discussions about RO2 back in July. I used that term in some private conversations with one particular RO2 developer, when explaining to him what I thought RO2 would need to make most of the RO1 players happy.

I agree with both of you. I personally believe that Tripwire maybe didn't take the polls at this very board - along with other discussions regarding realism, very seriously due to the fact that the people here are only is a extremely small part of the whole gaming community. A real minority of the whole gaming community. Now when its obvious that TWI didn't manage to appeal to the mainstream despite their effort to do so there isn't much more to do than go back to the roots. It was a dead end. Because all what is left is this minority.

Upvote 0
I played OST for 5 years. I play HOS and Scourge of War exclusively.

I too want RO Classic to succeed.

The question of "what is RO Classic" can be contentious, and contradictory. One guy wants situational weapon sway (I agree), but at the same time he doesn't want to get rid of recon planes (ahistorical as we have them).

For this player, RO classic will be authentic. There will be nothing that jumps out and says "NOT WW2!!!". This includes all flashing lights. I would also expect an authentic feel to sincerely portray the human body in combat. We can get these things, and more.

Now, this is when I stop getting my hopes high. The release of the initial game was so severely weighted in the land of the un-authentic experience that trying to make a full swing could fall on its face. There is a chance that RO Classic will be a half-serving of what one expects.

My hope is that a foundation is created that will continue to build, and that there will be a realization that RO showed us:

Less is more.

This doesn't mean a game should be awesome. What it means is that when focused on authentic portrayals of combat, one will find endless ways to portray it authentically.

This is what I hope for. What we are arguing about now is only an evolution towards the end goal.

Upvote 0
I personally don't want RO Classic to be a carbon copy of RO1 -- as I've stated previously, RO2 brings plenty of improvements that I want to see carried over. Here's a link to that post, so you know I'm not lying (or trolling?):

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showpost.php?p=1019821&postcount=420

That said, I'd also like to see the game not include any super rare weapons like the Mkb42 or AVT 40 in RO Classic mode either, not only because they weren't in RO1, but also because we were told by Yoshiro that equipment in RO Classic would match that of what was available in RO1. I took his word in confidence, too.

There may be some people out there who do want RO1 with better graphics, and to those people I tell them to play RO1 and ask someone to make some texture mods or something. The rest of us (what I believe to be the majority of RO Classic supporters on this forum) want essentially what we hoped RO2 would be -- a realistic, gritty, slower paced tactical WWII shooter that takes most of its cues from RO1 in terms of style, but with refinements and mechanics additions. No unlocks systems, no super fast paced gameplay, no gamey bandaging mechanics, etc.

According to Yoshiro's last post, it looks like that's what we're getting, and I'm excited, but also a little nervous, to see if he's right! Hopefully the beta will come soon and we'll be able to test and give feedback.

When yous say that they will add the old weapons from RO 1, does that include the MG42? because Iam Really missing it in RO2! :( Great weapon.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.