• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

An Appeal for the success of classic mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had to laugh a bit @OP for asking the president of a company to step back from his own project. However I agree with you that some of the design choices made by him or the team as Alan pointed out were god-awful. The initial idea about the heroes and special weapons was fantastic imho. One super badass guy per team! I'd even gone that far that all the weapon upgrades only apply for the hero and can be chosen to suit the hero.
However some of my friends moan that in RO2 they cannot always choose the weapon they want to have. I keep telling them that there are plenty other games that feature this or complain to the commander in-game about it.
However giving rare weapons to almost anyone (and with almost everyone at hero level in some class at least at the popular servers) these weapons are omnipresent and what really grinds my gears is the enemy weapon loadout. Starting from the bolt-rifle to the MKB/AVT PPSH etc. Nothing worse than a friendly sounding MG mow you down because you thought it was your man.
If it is taken off a dead guy and he managed to get behind enemy lines then I will pull my hat and say well done but atm it is more likely a big WTF? How could anyone have thought this is to be a good idea? In relaxed-realism maybe. As I stated before relaxed realism is the platform for things like this. Include H-bombs and laser swords for all I care in this mode, go nuts and make trans-gender Ueber-NAZI-Bolsheviks with pink guns and special powers e.g. to show their private parts. Whoever likes it go and play it.

But back to topic. I have hope for the classic mode and believe that it will make the realism mode obsolete more or less.
I still believe that so much potential and potential buyers were wasted because of this sudden change of mind by the TWI team at realese. To ask any of them to step back is however out of line even for the best customer.
Then there are still so many bugs in the game that I understand that it is hard for TWI to set the priorities right.

My 2 cents....

Upvote 0
I Think sometimes they forget that we are not COD players, we want different content that can measure with our requests of paying customers and is good to see that I am not the only one disappointed with the actual state of the game and that TWI will try to fix it with a new "MODE", that should be the first look of the game and not a new mode...
But... better than nothing at least.

Upvote 0
Remove MKB42 rarity. Add STG44...

Thing with MKB is there are multiple angles you can complain about it from. Its got questionable authenticity in a Stalingrad setting (in mass quantities especially), and then you have to consider how an assault rifle will affect gameplay with the changes that came in RO2. Low recoil, high damage, high accuracy, lots of ammo per clip, fast iron sights from sprint (so not hip firing like you do in Ost and people playing less cautiously), shooting before the sights are fully up (so bullets come out while the gun moves up, not quite centre straight away but can still do damage).

PPSH at least feels like it fits in with Stalingrad, but you start without drum mags, and again the gameplay changes made SMG's too easy/strong

STG44 in Ostfront was based on the map, so you would only get it when you it would feel right, and then they were a middle range between semi/smg rather than strong in all areas. I liked STG44 in Ostfront because it fit in for gameplay and immersion (STG44 is very recognisable ww2 weapon). It wasn't bad, but you would need to play carefully and place shots

Class limits in RO2 made you feel like there were hardly any bolts, and then you would see rather than bolts people were sprinting then spraying with MKB's. It just felt wrong, from an immersion view and from a tactical realism/RO view

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Although I don't think any TWI dev should step down, it's really hard to not see that nobody who wants RO Classic wants MKB and AVT. You have to be really thickheaded to think people do want that. I don't know what's the big deal about these prototype weapons for TWI. Why is it so hard for them to accept that?

Upvote 0
Although I don't think any TWI dev should step down, it's really hard to not see that nobody who wants RO Classic wants MKB and AVT. You have to be really thickheaded to think people do want that.

I do, and I don't consider myself thickheaded :p

Obviously to appease the ultra-ultra-realism crowd, availability should be in much reduced numbers, and both should be only available to elite assault class (which is being added back in I think?). That way any server can disable that class to get their desired experience. But honestly, who DOESN'T like the AVT? That gun is hilarious! I don't want to see it go! I don't use it often, but it's fun to switch it up every once in a while, right? Also, if I played as German and were to pick an smg, 90% of the time I pick the mp-40. But options are nice... please don't take it away from us who appreciate variety but are also seeking slower game-play.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I fully support Classic mode, but I am desensitized to the MKb now. I've grown so used to them being around it doesn't really bother me anymore. However, I can understand why a good number of people still loathe the "elite" assualt weapons. I would at the very least call for the option to disable the MKb and AVT specifically, or have maps where they are not present.

I am happy enough with the fact that TW is pulling together a Classic mode to appease us, they could just as easily not.

Upvote 0
if there's an "elite assault" class, the mkb/avt shouldn't be a problem anymore. twi should just disable that class by default on the stock (stalingrad) maps. some mappers will eventually make post-stalingrad maps where both weapons could fit in historically.
btw i don't mind the two weapons being in the game (the mkb is not that superior to the mp40, the avt is just badass in close quarters despite the low mag size), but i can understand why some/many people don't want them in the stalingrad maps.

Upvote 0
That said, I'd also like to see the game not include any super rare weapons like the Mkb42 or AVT 40 in RO Classic mode either, not only because they weren't in RO1, but also because we were told by Yoshiro that equipment in RO Classic would match that of what was available in RO1. I took his word in confidence, too.

Err, and PPD and Mp41 weren't super-rare?

Just sayin'.

Edit: PPD wasn't that rare, but it was phased out by that point iirc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Remove MKB42 rarity. Add STG44...

So it's fine if the gun that MIGHT have been there is removed and then a gun from 1-2 years later is added?

Oh yeah, I forgot, it's more plausible the germans invented TELEPORT and sent those STG's back in time to help their troops trapped in Stalingrad.

MKB42 at least existed during the battle of Stalingrad.

Edit: and before you go all rageful on me, I don't like the MkB either, but I am not big enough of a historical accuracy fan to complain about it or the wrong amount of rivets on the left side of PzIV's turret.

AVT on the other hand is hilarious.

Upvote 0
Err, and PPD and Mp41 weren't super-rare?

Just sayin'.

images

Two Soviet soldiers in Stalingrad, Russia, circa 1942-1943; note the Central Asian soldier and his PPD-40 submachine gunPhotographer: Georgi Zelma

battle-stalingrad-russian-soldiers-ww2-003.jpg

Soldier perched on the debris is armed with a PPD-40

Number of PPD-40s manufactured: 90,000.

MP-41s WOULD be significantly more rare... but at least they share the same ammunition,
magazine design, and parts with the MP-40, unlike the Mkb. In Stalingrad, I wouldn't even
have chosen the Mkb if given the chance--where the heck would I find more ammunition
for it?

Got sidetracked finding the above picture and also found:

Found this incidentally--an MP-28 in Stalingrad.

SVT-40 sniper variants in Stalingrad

Tripwire did a darned good job on Station, looks like.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
you disagree with a decision he was party to (i.e. was agreed within the team)

This is a point that Ramm made and then repeated a dozen times.

Tripwire isn't just Ramm sat on a giant golden throne, whipping the employees to do his bidding. Why do people assume that because Ramm is the one who frequents the forums, its all his fault?

Upvote 0
To an even greater extent I question the reasoning for returning the game to RO1. Of all of the sea of opinions I have heard on what the real realism mode should be, very very few ( say .01% ) have requested ro1 re-skinned.

No poll provided, please provide written response as to your opinion on such a subject.

THIS.

I can not beleive the Classic version is being done.

A slow continual degradation of TWI by old RO1 fanboys has created this.
It is Outrageous than TWI succumb to it.
More people wanted realism... Realism is not RO1.
We havent heard anything regarding more realism in the stock game, but instead TWI are going to spend there time taking there game back to 2006 for a few fans, instead of working on more realism.

Work on the game you made...i dont want you spending time on taking it back to RO1 for a few fans.

TWI made there decisons early on how much of RO1 should have remained in HOS and it was the right amount, and should have stayed that way:mad:.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
We have said over and over that RO Classic is NOT the only thing being done to RO 2. We have refinements to major systems in relaxed and realism modes on the way. I have started talking about them in the latest "What we are up to" post.

RO Classic is designed to give the game a stronger RO 1 feel. Not mirror RO 1. Realism is designed to be the realistic mode and we will keep advancing that along with relaxed. Some changes we make to one mode might make it into others by community request, or as we see how things play out.

Upvote 0
A slow continual degradation of TWI by old RO1 fanboys has created this.

Wrong, it was created by posters like yourself.

Us evil, crooked and hatefull old Ro1 fanboys never asked for a carbon copy of Ost, and we don't want one. There has been a tiny group of people who has argued in favour of that, most of them with late 2011 or early 2012 join dates, but i can count those guys on one hand, all the rest of us want something much better than that!

You know who did ask for a re-skinned Ost in huge numbers? You did, you and posters like you, in your zeal to flame us, you created this myth that anyone who wasen't satiesfied with Ro2 "just wanted a reskinned Ost", and you spread that myth around at every oppertunity in an attempt to use it as a weapon against us, saturating the forum in it, making sure that no conversation could be held here without mention of it.

A nasty man, whom i shall not mention by name for fear of Godwin's law, once said "if you tell a lie often enough, it eventually becomes the truth", and with that in mind: Congrats Don and co, you may have done a terrible job at flaming us, but it seems you have managed to convince TWI that people just want a reskinned Ost :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Now, what I do not understand is, why hasn't been made such fuss about the MP41? As far as I know, it was produced in small numbers as the mkb, and was used only by the SS and police forces. But in ro1, its availability was the same as the MP40.

Well, partly because the only difference between it and the MP-40 in-game was... how it looked. The real-life version was capable of select fire and (for obvious reasons) better suited for melee combat, but those advantages weren't reflected in-game.

It was a fairly rare weapon. Just like the G41. However, both were unquestionably and undoubtably introduced into active service (even if only police service) at the time of the battles portrayed in Ostfront... unlike the Mkb.

What's more, MP41s were shipped in fairly respectable quantities to the Romanian Army, which saw a lot of fighting on the Eastern Front. Given the interchangeability of the weapon's parts, ammunition, and magazines with the MP-40, it's not unlikely that some served with the Wehrmacht.

Reactions: Leo4444
Upvote 0
i think its pretty wrong to ask a lead designer quit working on his game. no matter how you put it its pretty insulting even if your intentions were not hateful. I know the MKB has been a controversial addition but i also think a lot of you guys might need to take a step back yourselves and realize this new mode is being made not for just you but for everyone. and we all have differing opinions as you can plainly see. i am not a realism nut like a lot of you guys i just simply find the game enjoyable (especially since the anti-lag mutator :) ) but because of this i have no problem with these rare guns. honestly i would be fine with only 1 or 2 available for this "classic" mode but i wouldnt want to see them completely gone regardless of how un-realistic it might be. i think only having one is a nice compromise maybe you should consider that them doing anything like this at all is something special and extremely uncommon(could you imagine the BF3 devs making a "BF classic mode" for the old BF2 crowd?) and shows they really do care what you guys think its just you have to realize your never going to get everything you want but it does sound like this is pretty damn close and you should be thankful for that and ultimately just enjoy the game for what it is and not let every little thing you may not like eat you up so bad.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.