• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

All these Kill Messages

Zidious G

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 26, 2012
Sweden
Something that has been bothering me all this time is the kill messages. You know, up in the right corner. 99% of the servers shows kill messages for and by everyone. Why? It is just spamming the screen with unimportant information. It is not exactly subtle with its green and red colors in big text. It only needs to show who you killed.

Since it is a quite realistic game, at least I want to keep the HUD as clear as possible, for the feeling. Also, showing everyones kills can be a bit of a cheat since you can look for a guys name, and see if he gets killed, then you know he isn't there anymore. It is more sport without this. You never know who is alive or not.

There is a HUD mutator that I use, but the servers need to apply it. That is why of all available servers, I only play on 40-1 and 2fjg and a few more. TWB are big but doesn't seem interested in adding it. The best thing with adding it is that everyone is happy. If the server wants to show all kill messages it can still do that, but appeal to us HUD mutator-users as well.

Most people probably doesn't think of the kill messages, but I find them quite annoying.

Last edited:
I find them useful, in an unrealistic fashion. I shouldn't know that the friendly weapon I hear is actually held by an enemy, mopping up my comrades. It's lame. That's why I try to only play on servers which only show self-relevant death messages with delay.

Great to know how far away that sniper is that took you out also. After a respawn I know right where to look for him. But as you said, unrealistic.;)

Upvote 0
A couple great tips one can use to extract from kill-messages is.

Remembering people's names and their weapons!

Playing German, heard the crack of a PPSH in the room above you? Take a moment to check the killfeed, did a German eliminate a Russian with a PPSH? Maybe this will make you reconsider throwing your grenade in there! :D

Also, make a note of people's names who are around you! If they die from what looks like a close-quarter weapon! The enemy might be near your position!!

I do agree however, it is extremely annoying having it toll on over! I sometimes open up the console and type in 'togglehud'

Game looks very pretty! :D

Edit - Forgot to mention, we had no kill-feed options setup on Aussie/NZ (Cats server) a while back. Was pretty epic and added to the fog of war! (Though a quick peek at the score-board to see if the kill is confirmed was a sneaky little way around!) :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I also hate this killmessage and hud "spam" and would like a clientside option to configurate it myself. Most time i play with the showhud command but with that you have no information at all,... like where the objectives are etc. even when pressing "T" :p

Regards Culti

Cultivator there is a client side mutator called Declutter my HUD. It removes most of the on screen bling and is more flexible than using the showhud command.

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=90991

Upvote 0
I am far more annoyed by the HUD spam of the tactical view appearing when you spawn and when objectives changes sides. This should really be a player side setting, I can't count the number of times I've been killed because suddenly the big objective blob appears directly in my sights obscuring the view of the enemy who was aiming at me. One of the things I liked about RO was its very minimal HUD, and unfortunately this is one of the things where RO2 has gone in the complete opposite direction.

Before RS was released you could press T to remove the tactical view that automatically appears onscreen when spawning, but you can't anymore, you are stuck with it for those default seconds.

There should be a setting in the options making the tactical view only appear if the player press T and at no other times.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0