• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

A thought on encouraging teamwork and squad cohesion

Tea_and_Crumpets

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 15, 2013
I would like to see something like Verdun's SL system. Have an area around the SL where perhaps extra points are granted for kills and such. This should encourage teamwork massively. The area would have to be made visible on the minimap though.

It would also make players try and protect their SL as they have something to gain from his continued survival. It would do this while not making the SL feel as though he has to hide himself away so that he can teleport fighting soldiers into the field (which is how I feel when playing SL).

Thoughts?

Don't you already receive extra points when you are around your SL for this?

You do indeed. I think it's +2 team points, counts as "Protecting Squad Leader" (and commander too).

Although getting more points for capping / defending a point with your SL would be a nice addition.

Should tie each others shoe laces together and force the ol' three legged run. :p

Upvote 0
Although I don't ever try to be near my SL to collect extra points, maybe you should get them for being with your squadmates too? There's little incentive to stay with your squadmates, I not sure a few more points will accomplish much.

I could see other incentives though, maybe you could heal only squadmates? Give them ammo? Backrubs? I dunno.

It'd be way easier to stay together if there was an intuitive and visual way. All squaddies show up on the Tactical map with a certain color that was universal for chat and the scoreboard.

I still think squad specific rally points are the way to go.

Upvote 0
There already are squad-specific rally points. The SL can issue his "Go Here" command with the F-key widget (left click is Go Here, right click is Mark Arty). Only his squad sees it.

Sometimes I use this as TL to inform a specific squad where I'd like them to rally up before a banzai.

Almost nobody uses it though, on the issuing or receiving end - so maybe some sort of robustification of this would be in order.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I wouldn't mind seeing simple incentives, such as dying in the vicinity of your SL makes you spawn with an extra grenade or something like that.
I don't think that this would change anything for the behavior of players.

Firstly changing 'Protecting Squad Leader' to 'Bonus for being near Squad Leader' or something. That way it's self explanatory.
I don't think that something like this would change anything either...

I think it's quite hard to play with the squad generally. The squads are just names on the right side when I press T. Nothing else. I can't differentiate squad members with team members on the battlefield without opening the map. And it's quite hard to play with a friend together since you can't differentiate him fast too. The whole teamname display is ****ed up. Squad members should have a certain colour and symbols of their class displayed when you hover over them. Other team members (besides of the TL) with a different unobtrusive colour. The honor level is unimportant on the battlefield itself. It should be displayed when opening the TAB Menu.

I've made a suggestion thread about this a while ago:
http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=100642

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I meant a rally point as in Project Reality. A deployable spawn point. Instead of Spawn on Sl, a SL deploys an object, a tent or whatever near a cap, on a flank, etc. Limit how close they can be to a cap and they'd stay in place until moved or destroyed. It would free the SL to do his job and likely allow squad mates to spawn in the same place for multiple times as well as in a safer place than a SL crouched in the line of fire.

it also adds some complexity to the game as the enemy would always have to be attempting to destroy them.

Upvote 0
Nilsmoody, you can discern squadmates from other teammates in first person without the map, if you can see their names. If their name has a (FT#) on the end of it, they're in your squad, in the designated fireteam (FT). In the Join A Squad screen, a fireteam is denoted by the three guys on a horizontal row in the squad. Usually 3 fireteams per squad.

And if you're one of the two riflemen in the machinegunner's fireteam, you can choose to spawn on him OR your SL.

Upvote 0
Ok, here's another idea.

Instead of Spawning on SL, how about spawning on your squad? So, if say 40% of your squad is within a 20m radius, you spawn with them? And, if you were one of those squaddies alive out in the field, you'd have an icon pop up when those conditions were satisfied. Unlike now, when a SL has no clue if he's in a good place or not to spawn his teammates before the points show up onscreen, you'd know when you were too far from your other teammates.

Just grabbed the numbers out of the air without much thought, but that could encourage a squad to stay together.

Upvote 0
Ok, here's another idea.

Instead of Spawning on SL, how about spawning on your squad? So, if say 40% of your squad is within a 20m radius, you spawn with them? And, if you were one of those squaddies alive out in the field, you'd have an icon pop up when those conditions were satisfied. Unlike now, when a SL has no clue if he's in a good place or not to spawn his teammates before the points show up onscreen, you'd know when you were too far from your other teammates.

Just grabbed the numbers out of the air without much thought, but that could encourage a squad to stay together.

This is really great idea. Though it still shouldnt look like this, spawn on squad should be strongly limited so you cant spawn near enemies ( ~40m ) and in/near ~20m enemy objective.

Upvote 0
I would like to see something like Verdun's SL system. Have an area around the SL where perhaps extra points are granted for kills and such. This should encourage teamwork massively. The area would have to be made visible on the minimap though.

It would also make players try and protect their SL as they have something to gain from his continued survival. It would do this while not making the SL feel as though he has to hide himself away so that he can teleport fighting soldiers into the field (which is how I feel when playing SL).

Thoughts?

Tea_and_Crumpets,

No. I disagree. You give a bad idea.

Points should be given to the soldiers who do their job - I mean soldiers who followed orders given by SL. Following orders of SL is not same thing than following SL.

Example :
Stalingradkessel in axis, order defend A

Soldiers fight and join this sector. (Sector and not the SL...even if the SL can join also this sector)

Soldiers should have
1 + 3 + 1 points because
they kill one enemy (one point)
+ 3 they are in sector
+ 1 because they follow order of the SL

I don't deny soldier or SL can have +1 to protect their SL or TL. It just can be added in more. My point is : + 1 point to soldiers who follow an order.

Points to follow ORDERS of SL ... and not SL.
I prefer + 1 point to soldiers who follow an order.
Same for SL : they can win points if they follow orders of TL. (and not the TL)

So :
+ 1 point to soldiers who follow an order of SL.
+ 1 point to SL who follow an order of TL.

and not + 1 to following SL or TL...

Just my opinion.

Upvote 0
Absolutely, I hate the fact the SL can sit just outside the cap and fire hose squadmates straight in or into the enemy. Just yesterday, I spawned on my SL and right into the midst of a couple of the enemy. I just saw one run by before I was killed.

Any mobile spawn point idea should be limited to farther off enemies and caps than it is now.

Upvote 0
Absolutely, I hate the fact the SL can sit just outside the cap and fire hose squadmates straight in or into the enemy. Just yesterday, I spawned on my SL and right into the midst of a couple of the enemy. I just saw one run by before I was killed.

Any mobile spawn point idea should be limited to farther off enemies and caps than it is now.

Wait, wait,

Instead of Spawning on SL, how about spawning on your squad? .

Spawn on SL is a tactical advantage incarnated by SL...
You don't understand SL if you don't understand Spawn on SL.

I think you miss the point of a SL.
SL is a moral factor inside the battle and on battlefield.

I defend Spawn on SL. It's a tactical weapon.
SL is a moral advantage for his men.

Spawn on SL is a weapon. Sometimes, well used, sometimes bad used. By SL and also by soldiers...
I don't say it's easy to use.
I say it's help to perform a tactical game more powerfull.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ok, here's another idea.

That would be a vast improvement over the current spawn on SL. Would there still be the spawning 'magic'? Yes, but at least in return you get a real incentive to stick with your squad.

Upvote 0