• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

A Step In The Right Direction

>< f4ct0r...13

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 2, 2011
California
The inclusion of classic mode is a great step forward for the title.

The redone explosions, and shock waves are really cool. The effect of stamina is very well done.

The suppression is awesome. It is truly suppressive, and when one fires to suppress, they are doing it for real. I love it.

The combat remains as violent and intense as always. Exactly what was to be expected.

I'm having a hard time understanding why classic was infused with so many player aids. It is horrible:

The little red targets at the top of the screen telling us where the enemy is? WHY?
The emplaced MGs are in classic mode. WHY?
Arial Recon in classic? WHY?
The kill scroll. YUCK.
The map, detailing the location of every player. WHY?
Being able to see the ticket count. WHY?

So, while a step in the right direction, RO2 Classic still casts a vote of no confidence in the player base. Perhaps Rising Storm will have the guts to step up and make a call for players. RO Classic still falls short of offering a real shooting challenge, despite the sheer awesomeness. As long as player aids such as the above are part of a shooter, it can have no credibility as a testing ground for players.

Last edited:
Reactions: TrOOper
To the OP:

In your opinion.

Definitely.

Is it your opinion that a shooter should not require the player to play, and that instead a shooter should play itself while the player watches?

That's what happens when a game spends the entire time telling you where the bad guys is, and giving you turrets to man. It is not player vs. player, it is computer vs. computer. Not interesting. Not re-playable.

Upvote 0
Kill scroll and probably some of those other things can be turned off by any server that wants to. I was playing on a ranked server yesterday that had the kill scroll turned off and even had a 150 second lag on the scoreboard. (tab screen).

I'm pretty sure the same server also gave you zero info on friendly locations.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Most of those I think are server options that can be adjusted. And tbh I actually like HMG emplacements. While they possess lots of fire power and can rip up an enemy team, the guy manning it automatically has a huge target on his head saying "SHOOT ME!" Most often I see people man the machine guns just to get a full mg mag thrown at them resulting in their untimely demise.

Upvote 0
Its a real shame that you folks want the computer to tell you where the enemy is, and that you think it is a legitimate feature of a shooter.

Do you seek entitlements in real life too?

now you are being petty and ridiculous. We are talking about a computer game after all, don't try to make so silly remark about a persons character just becasue their idea of gaming is a bit different from yours. Lighten up fella.:cool:

Upvote 0
now you are being petty and ridiculous. We are talking about a computer game after all, don't try to make so silly remark about a persons character just becasue their idea of gaming is a bit different from yours. Lighten up fella.:cool:

Well, I do think that the Age of Entitlement is to blame for it. I'm not attacking character, I'm attacking a social malady. Unfortunately, individual lives are wasted by it, all while being observable in a video game.

Back on topic, do you like it when the computer finds your bad guy?

Seriously. What is it that makes it so hard for a player to identify the location of their virtual enemy?

Upvote 0
The little red targets at the top of the screen telling us where the enemy is? WHY?

Because in real life you'd be able to communicate the enemy position as well.
The emplaced MGs are in classic mode. WHY?

What's the problem here? HMG's have never been a huge deal, easy to use but easy to counter. They simply add some variation to the gameplay, but do nothing that touches the balance by a noticable amount.
Arial Recon in classic? WHY?

Any particular reason why especially classic needs to have arial recon removed? With no argumentation I could ask you the same question. WHY?(CAPSLOCK IS CRUISECONTROL FOR COOL)
The kill scroll. YUCK.

Server side option, can be turned off entirely.

The map, detailing the location of every player. WHY?

Every player? It doesn't do this, it shows teammates and temporarily shows the location of enemies at the time they were spotted, but that information is usually outdated by the time you see it.

Being able to see the ticket count. WHY?

Again I don't see the problem. In real life it is very plausible to have intel about the approximate enemy numbers. This is still a game, and showing tickets is a userfriendly way of showing when the game is going to end due to lack of reinforcements.

Upvote 0
I agree the minimap tracking player position is retarded.

I can just imagine a soldier in the heat of combat in Stalingrad going "Wow, I wonder who has control of the pile of rubble over there... How do I find out? Oh right, I'll just use the magic satellite map".

It takes a whole level out of gameplay. Same with aerial spotting - totally unrealistic and annoying. Kill scroll should be lagged or removed too.

HMGs are fine, they were used heavily IRL. Asking why are HMGs in game isn't any more logical than asking why are tanks in game.

Best wishes,
Daniel.

Last edited:
Upvote 0