• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO2 A freebie once again?

Butts

Dec 28, 2015
Hi guys, long-time player and first-time poster. I'd just like everybody to consider the idea that, at least in Australia... This game is more catatonic than Charlie Sheen's acting career and is practically a necrophilliac's wet dream. Let me expound on this by quickly saying that it's 8pm AEDT as I write this and there are about 20 people spread over a few servers.

I snatched RO2 when it was free last year, and since I loved it so much I later went on to buy RS.

I'm certain that something like this needs to happen again. When the game went free the playercount was stuck at 40,000-50,000 for weeks on end. Now we're lucky to hit 800.

At 800, it surely must be more active in other regions. But here on the 26th (a public holiday weekend), we couldn't manage to get a 50-man server full.

I never thought I'd see a situation as dire as this in the playerbase. But for some reason or another those 50k players have dropped the game like a ton of bricks. We're seriously in need of some new blood on the scene to give this game a transfusion.

I understand that with KF2 and RS2 on the brain, we're not likely to see anything huge in terms of content developments. And that's perfectly fine. We've got a great game as it is. But as it is, we've got a great game that's hemorrhaging players.

Please guys. I beg you. Seriously consider doing something to help this game off life-support. One-day freebie again, Humble Bundle, more Steam sales even?

It helped before, and something is needed again. Battlefield 3 got saved twice with Humble Bundle and then a freebie. We need something now.

Actually it hit about 17,000 for one day, half that the next then 3 weeks later it was back to its normal routine.

Austrlian community crashed. Strangly it coincided with a new server host making a 24/7 bridges servers with 50 bots. All the bot farmers join that. Join that server first way before peak time. People come along see that the 24/7 bridges server is the only one with players on it and go "**** that ****" so Quit RO2 while the 10 happy chappies on the server farm bots.

Express your concerned to the admins and you get brilliant responds from that. I mean guys here complain abiut abusive admins but the "evidence" is lacking a bit. I got a nice juicy private message that's beyond hilarious and is the true definition of an abusive admin.

Also their servers have the kill cam.

So yeah bad servers killed the australian community. Free day won't change bad servers. Not to mention that server host has good name in other games as its a rather largish provider. So any new guys wouls be like "I know these guys". Just their 2 RO2 admins are beyond clueless.

Upvote 0
Is a bot farming server against the rules? As that's all this server is. https://www.gametracker.com/server_info/43.245.161.11:5777/ It kills off the Australian community. With it gone it will be as it was if not better becusse of the sales. It's a bit farming server that puts others off playing Red orchestra 2 at all as no other servers have players. If those other servers had the small amount of not farmers the server population will grow to full as it has the full selection of maps. This server just has bridges and myshkova river.

Making that server unranked will solve a lot of problems.

Upvote 0
Lemonater I have no idea what you're talking about. Some server can't just kill a community. Aus community has been through a lot of different servers. There are simply not enough people playing the game to properly fill up a decent server and get a game going. If there's only 10 people playing they would obv be on the server with bots because then it just feels like they can actually get a 50-man game, even if 40 are bots

Upvote 0
Lemonater I have no idea what you're talking about. Some server can't just kill a community. Aus community has been through a lot of different servers. There are simply not enough people playing the game to properly fill up a decent server and get a game going. If there's only 10 people playing they would obv be on the server with bots because then it just feels like they can actually get a 50-man game, even if 40 are bots

What about just now? You asked if anyone was on? I said there are people on the bridges server. So you quit the game.

A perfect example of that server killing off the community. It's not just you getting turned off.

If they were on a different server you woulda played RO2. As wouod many others. I see many people boot up RO2 then 2 minutes later boot up another game becuase they don't want to play on a 24/7 bridges server.

The drop in player numbers corresponded with that server starting up.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I still fail to see how this is any issue other than one about player numbers. I get your argument. I understood what you were saying to begin with. But if there are 10 people who want to stomp bots then yeah they can play on the bot server. But if there are another 30-40 people who actually want to play the game then they can head on over to a regular server and play it. Those 30-40 people just don't exist.

We don't have enough players to actually get a server going so that's why people just smash bots all day. And people (like me) who come on wanting to play, just see other peeps smashing bots so they just come back later and check for players on the regular servs.

In a good world we would have enough to fill a normal server, as well as a few extra who want to go smash bots and level their mg34s all day long. Everybody happy. But we don't have enough players for that.

In a perfect world we would fill a couple of servers. Or maybe playing with bots would be a different gamemode altogether. In Insurgency there are always 3-4 aussie servers full in peak hours, and playing with bots is a totally different gamemode; co-op.

Imo the game is dying. Sure, that's not the whole reason as to why there's no players. But the lacking playerbase is the majority of the reason you can't get a decent game on a decent server

Upvote 0
Once again I reiterate my original point. There are 0 players on the skankyflat servers atm, so you can't make much of an argument that it is of any detriment to the playerbase... of 16 people. Yes, 16 desperate souls looking to play a couple matches on games.on.net. In the year of our lord, 2015, at 8pm, there are 16 Australians playing Red Orchestra 2.

one-six. SIXTEEN.

Here lies RO2.

Upvote 0
Alright Lemonater, I think you win.

Skankyflat is unranked at the moment for some reason, and there's currently 50 players on games.on.net, and it's also only 5pm. I really didn't think having extra server could suicide a community, but I absolutely overestimated the intelligence that RO2 players have.

It really does somehow occur that about 10 guys smash bots all day, so the other players that come on later see the 10 people on skankyflat smashing bots and say "no thanks, I'll come back later when there are players on the other server"...

And they never go to the other server.

I don't know why skankyflat is unrated. But if it stays that way then it looks like we might finally be able to... you know... actually have people playing this game.

Touch

Upvote 0
Try and fill us up

Try and fill us up

G'day cobbers... You could always try and fill up our new server
Aussie server for VOW Gaming group. vowgaming.com

We are still trying to sort out things like "Map Rotation" / making BOTS stay on there and not leave when admin knocks off for the day. Any help is appreciated BTW.
We have put some of our initial setup problems on our forums

Tassie Devil Admin at [url]http://vowgaming.com/[/URL]

Upvote 0
making BOTS stay on there and not leave when admin knocks off for the day. Any help is appreciated BTW.

If adding bots by using "?MinPlayers=X" to the commandline doesn't work (where X is a number and stands for the minimum number of soldiers on your server. if too less then the engine adds bots 'till it reaches that value), then the ServerEx mutator has a way to adding bots and forces it on each map change.

Upvote 0