• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Allow squad leader to pick a rifle or smg

Zetsumei

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Amsterdam, Netherlands
The key of a squadleader is to lead a squad, it would be nice if he wouldn't only have access to an smg but possibly in the initial weapon selection to a rifle instead of the smg as well (and not only on a select few maps).

Personally I would like to play as a squadleader and really try to help my team out, but the smg is a big hold back for me. It would be nice if people that really want to play as a squadleader to help the team forward wouldn't be limited by the smg of the class.

Last edited:
I think the squad leader should be able to use any gun he see's fit unless its a heavy gun or specialized gun, but whats to stop him from using a bolt? In OST as the squad leader I usually prefer the PPS to the PPsh because of the steadier rate of fire, because I see it as more for self defense and use the PPsh as a dedicated assault.

Upvote 0
It isn't very realistic, since (in the german army) squadleaders have to command first, en kill second. The fear was that if you give an sl a rifle he get's in the fight to fast and doesn't command his squad anymore. For the game i don't know, maybe it's true that even ingame the sl get's in the fight to fast with a rifle.

With an smg someone would quicker just charge in head first, rather than identify enemy targets and movements and communicate and plan accordingly. Especially in a game like RO i find myself that its much easier to relay information when you have a more general overview of the battle. Especially since squad leaders are somewhat important for the spawn locations it can be better if they play a bit more safely rather than rushing in among the heat of the action.

So the ability to select a type of weapon for the squad leader, actual brings in some additional layer of tactical depth. Do you focus on the capping power/smoke of the squad leader, or do you focus on the ability to use a squad leader as a local spawn location/ radio user or a mixture of both.

My goal of the inclusion of a rifle (just a regular bolt) in the class is exactly that people that want to help their team as a squad leader can do so. Without limiting the class pretty much to only people proficient with an SMG. Getting a good squad leader is crucial and I think some good people would be left out by limiting the class to SMG users.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
With an smg someone would quicker just charge in head first, rather than identify enemy targets and movements and communicate and plan accordingly. Especially in a game like RO i find myself that its much easier to relay information when you have a more general overview of the battle. Especially since squad leaders are somewhat important for the spawn locations it can be better if they play a bit more safely rather than rushing in among the heat of the action.

So the ability to select a type of weapon for the squad leader, actual brings in some additional layer of tactical depth. Do you focus on the capping power/smoke of the squad leader, or do you focus on the ability to use a squad leader as a local spawn location/ radio user or a mixture of both.

My goal of the inclusion of a rifle (just a regular bolt) in the class is exactly that people that want to help their team as a squad leader can do so. Without limiting the class pretty much to only people proficient with an SMG. Getting a good squad leader is crucial and I think some good people would be left out by limiting the class to SMG users.

I agree, SL's can work for both close range and long range, let them have a :IS2: rifle if they want.

Upvote 0
I agree, i suggest feature where your role and side is
randomly set, when you first time start up RO2, and
after that you wont never ever change that.

That is realistic :D

(notice sarcasm)

Yeah, and that.. if you're killed..you need to get a new copy of the game so you can start over.
Omg that would be so realistic and I would like it.

Sarcasm is my life, my child.

Upvote 0