• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Grenades and their use in-game.

mo0nbuggy1

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 20, 2010
Melbourne, Australia.
As previously stated, I had an issue with the use of hand grenades in RO and it seemed some people agreed so I thought this was worth discussing.
I thought as though they were used way to much and instead of using them to clear certain areas tactically they were just lobbed randomly over a fence or a building to score a cheap kill.

So, I was hoping we could discuss the possibilities of a new grenade system.
Maybe most people like it the way it was in RO I don't know.
Lets hear some ideas:)

I just quote myself from the other thread.

But on the other hand, Stalingrad was one big grenade spamfest. The ultimate nade spamfest.

Allthough I agree, that "Assault"-class should have more grenades, than riflemen, who are supposed to cover the manouvers of the assault soldiers. Maybe just one nade per rifleman.

And if we go even further to the realism, there should be few assault-class guys loaded with nades. They should wear "handgrenade bags" and have at least like 10 hand grenades per one assault soldier. Then other guys could have way less. It could encourage teamplay, since guys with lots of nades would need active covering by other assault soldiers and by ordinary riflemen.

I would really like, if there would be a certain "special assault"-class, who would have more nades. And then nades could be cut down from other classes. And for example MG class would not need nades at all. Or maximum one.

Last edited:
Reactions: NoxNoctum
Upvote 0
I just quote myself from the other thread.

I would really like, if there would be a certain "special assault"-class, who would have more nades. And then nades could be cut down from other classes. And for example MG class would not need nades at all. Or maximum one.

Your quoted idea indeed sounds excellent. Really really good in fact.

Upvote 0
I think that's a good idea too, redguardist. I think it would be good to reduce the amount of grendades rifleman have but the primary role of a rifleman is to close with and kill the enemy, so by limiting the grenade amount for him you are taking away realism.

I thought this was a great Idea.

Maybe a system for grenades could be put in place. As you accumulate points the game rewards you with load out options.

An example would be you spawn with just your rifle and ammo. You get some kills and get an objective and listen to your squad leader. Now you have 100 points and rewarded with a single grenade.

I'm sure it could be refined and turned into a great system.

Keep the ideas coming we've got some great ones so far.

Upvote 0
I think that's a good idea too, redguardist. I think it would be good to reduce the amount of grendades rifleman have but the primary role of a rifleman is to close with and kill the enemy, so by limiting the grenade amount for him you are taking away realism.

Well, in fact the job getting close (closest, if you like) was for the guys with SMGs. Especially in urban combat. Soviets had a lot of SMGs as integral part of rifle platoons already in Stalingrad. And while the Germans did not, they still formed "assault detachments", which were armed with SMGs. So they collected as many SMGs as they could find to arm this detachment. In generally speaking, the primary role of riflemen was in this case to support soldiers with SMGs.

That is why I would like to see riflemen packing only one hand grenade.

Upvote 0

I thought this was a great Idea.

I'm sure it could be refined and turned into a great system.

Keep the ideas coming we've got some great ones so far.
Its a great idea, but I think a little tricky to implement. Lets keep our hopes up for something like that.

Upvote 0
In Stalingrad, some of the soldiers in the Red Army were given entire bandoliers of nades and a pistol. They were sent into buildings with lots of individual rooms by themselves, and they would just go room to room, dropping a grenade into each room as they passed by

There's a special class for you. 10 grenades and a pistol:D

Upvote 0
That sounds pretty cool, like a grenadier class?
Armed with only a pistol and say half dozen nades? Could be a very useful class in game and is still historically accurate. I even remember watching a documentary about the Vietnam war where one soldier would collect all the grenades off his platoon and put them in a plastic bag, he would then sneak up to the enemy's position and let loose. A different time frame and war but it shows that it's a real life tactic and not something made up.
But what to do with the rifleman and assault classes?
Rifleman get no nades and cam only resupply of dead body's on the battlefield maybe.
And assault class starts with one grenade but can also resupply.

What do you think?

Upvote 0