• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

About the sighting in ranges on the rifles

It does take bit more time, but it is fast for the iron sights. Guys with scoped rifles can tell about those, since I do not own any WWII scopes.

But anyways, it should be bit slower, and we absolutely need animations for this feature. Without animations it really feels and looks weird.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lucan946
Upvote 0
It does take bit more time, but it is fast for the iron sights. Guys with scoped rifles can tell about those, since I do not own any WWII scopes.

But anyways, it should be bit slower, and we absolutely need animations for this feature. Without animations it really feels and looks weird.

For the 91/30 PU, it's extremely fast. You con't have to come off target to adjust the scope. Just lift your head a little bit to see the markings on the knob, and spin it a little.

+1 for needing animations, though.

Reactions: NoxNoctum
Upvote 0
I'm hoping you will have the option to preset your preferred range in the settings. That way you don't have to adjust your sights every time you spawn

Ditto this. There should be at least two weapon "presets" in the options: the rifle's zero range, and bayonet mounted/dismounted.

At least for the Mosin iron sights, there needs to be a bit of a delay and an animation. Also I hope it's not super-accurate at the more distant ranges. You can set a Mosin's sights to zero at 2000 meters, but obviously that would be wildly innacurate. I don't know what they were thinking. :p

Upvote 0
Ditto this. There should be at least two weapon "presets" in the options: the rifle's zero range, and bayonet mounted/dismounted.

At least for the Mosin iron sights, there needs to be a bit of a delay and an animation. Also I hope it's not super-accurate at the more distant ranges. You can set a Mosin's sights to zero at 2000 meters, but obviously that would be wildly innacurate. I don't know what they were thinking. :p

Mosins are capable of a lot more accuracy than you really expect.

I mean, obviously, you're not going to be able to hit a point target at 2 klicks, that'd just be stupid blind luck. BUT ... you can do some pretty outstanding stuff with one. My PU is a sub-MOA shooter. Even with just iron sights, at 400 yards I've put 3 out of 5 in a coyote silhouette. (4th was on the paper. 5th round was a flier.) At that range, the front sight post was actually wider than the silhouette was.

A lot of people dog on them because of the simplicity of the design, or the lack of fit and finish on the wartime rifles, etc. That's fine ... just means more for those of us that like 'em. :)

Upvote 0

Part in bold is important.

If you can auto switch that quick, is just becomes a gamey feature that makes the game easier.

Because it took a bit of time do in real life (really only 8-10 seconds for Mosins), you couldn't switch so quickly. I doubt the soldiers adjusted their sights every 1-2 minutes for every shot to.

So if you can do it as quick in the video, then it kills the immersion of how hard and gritty war is IMO.

As for scopes, no idea, but from what I have heard, it takes a bit of time to readjust the scopes.

You can set a Mosin's sights to zero at 2000 meters, but obviously that would be wildly innacurate. I don't know what they were thinking. :p

Yes, I had a WTF look on my face when I first saw that to. :D

I also like the idea of a customizable preset zero for your weapons.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

I mean, obviously, you're not going to be able to hit a point target at 2 klicks, that'd just be stupid blind luck. BUT ... you can do some pretty outstanding stuff with one. My PU is a sub-MOA shooter. Even with just iron sights, at 400 yards I've put 3 out of 5 in a coyote silhouette. (4th was on the paper. 5th round was a flier.) At that range, the front sight post was actually wider than the silhouette was.

A lot of people dog on them because of the simplicity of the design, or the lack of fit and finish on the wartime rifles, etc. That's fine ... just means more for those of us that like 'em. :)

Yeah I know, I'm able to get great groupings with my ex-dragoon. I was just saying that I hope the game doesn't fall into the trap of making the iron sights, now easily adjustable out to extreme ranges, pinpoint accurate at like over 500m. It would be pixel sniping to the extreme, ha.

Upvote 0
Yeah I know, I'm able to get great groupings with my ex-dragoon. I was just saying that I hope the game doesn't fall into the trap of making the iron sights, now easily adjustable out to extreme ranges, pinpoint accurate at like over 500m. It would be pixel sniping to the extreme, ha.

I got a nice ex-Dragoon too. '29 Tula. Wonderful piece. :)

I should be in the waiting period right now for a '37 Tula Finn 91/30, too, but the dealer's computers weren't working right, so I couldn't finish the paperwork on Tuesday. I gotta go back when I get a chance. *grrr*

Upvote 0

From what I've picked up from people that own them is that a lot of them just have wore out rifling in the bore that diminishes the accuracy. That's the case with a lot of WWII rifles, whether we're talking about the Lee Enfield or the Kar98.

A lot of that wartime ammunition isn't perfect, and then you've got surplus ammunition complicating things. Too much corrosive materials. Keep in mind, even the rifles are either wartime capture or surplus, neither of which are going to get special treatment anywhere down the collection and distribution chain to your local dealer.

Sure, some of them may shoot MOA or better, but it seems to me the average is higher than that. How it's gonna shoot just might be highly dependent on the condition of the weapon.

Upvote 0
I completely agree that animations are needed for this feature. I have a replica kar98 and I can say that changing the sights takes maybe 3-5 seconds. Also unless you were really good you'd have to look at the meter ranges listed on the sights, which should definately be incorporated in the animation.

With an animation this would be such a cool feature! It would feel like you're actually having to deal and work with an older weapon of war.

Without an animation it would really just be better to aim high as with RO:O. It looks automated right now, which breaks immersion and I think would just confuse a lot of people.

Upvote 0