• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Has KF outsold RO?

Not yet - but closing fast, very fast!

RO has had over 4 years as a succesful title - still in stores in Europe, will be back in store in the US shortly.

KF has had over a year as a very succesful title. But store sales aren't what they once were. No doubt that it will get there, though!

In the UK PC shelves are non existent in Game stores these days.

Upvote 0
not surprising, the thing i dont understand is why they are prioritizing porting RO to UT3 before KF.

firstly, RO is not and never was being ported to UT3.......ROHOS is the sequel to ROOST and is a completely new game, not just a "port". sure it's possible some of ROOST's core content might be ported to work with ROHOS (which will be using the UE3 engine) to save some time/work, but it's far from just a "port" of ROOST to a new engine ;)

so to answer your question, it's because:
  1. they've been working on "RO2" (almost) before KF (even the mod) existed
  2. they promised an "RO2" 4 years ago
  3. they'd be insane to even consider a possible KF2 before finishing ROHOS and risk pissing off their "veteran" (and still largest) fanbase
  4. if i'm not mistaken, they have one UE3 license, which ROHOS is using.....if they ever make a KF2 using the UE3 engine, they'd have to purchase another license
  5. a WWII themed game is actually pretty marketable now, and much more than it was when KF was being announced/released....the "big boys" are still going with "Modern Warfare" themes and there's not been a solid WWII fps since well, ROOST was released in 2006 :eek::D
TWI should be throwing money at a KF2 as it appeals to mainstream rather than niche WW2.

no. WWII is far from a "niche" theme. if you actually look at how many fps games have been released over the years, additionally looking at the top selling fps games of all time, WWII is a extremely popular theme. before all the "big boys" started moving into "Modern Warfare" themes, they ALL started with successful lines of WWII themed games....look at COD, MOH, BF, all began as WWII games. the theme has been mainstream since fps existed, and although WWII in particular may not be as "mainstream" as it used to be, the overall theme of "military-themed fps" is most likely one of (if not) the most mainstream genres in the gaming market.

a KF2 would likely do really well since KF became as successful as it has, although you'd be pretty foolish to actually believe it's going to release within 2-3 years, simply because TW is JUST finishing up a major project already 4 years in the making. plus, with L4D, KF, L4D2, plus all the other zombie themed games that have been out recently, although popular currently, within another 12-18 months, (which would probably be the earliest a KF2 would release) the theme will most likely become stale. timing is everything, TW could expect an eventual dip in the "zombie" theme and plan for a KF2 a year after the staleness has worn off, just in time to hit the theme in its upswing.

one last thing to remember, a huge portion of TW's fanbase played/plays Red Orchestra. RO is undoubtably TW's fanchise game, and that's just the fact of the matter. if we had the stats that TW has, we'd probably be able to see just how influencial TW's already established "RO fanbase" was in assisting KF becoming as successful as it has. just think how many people bought KF just because they loved RO, they love TW and they want to support the development of ROHOS.

KF's success is due to many factors, the most important (as already mentioned) being the huge impact Steam has had on the PC gaming industry. if KF was released in 2006 instead of ROOST, the numbers would be turned around and everyone would now be clammering for an RO2 vs. the (hypothetically speeking) "promised" KF2.

instead of people whining about "i want KF2" or "i want RO2" or trying to compare the success of the two games, how about everyone just keeps things in perspective and honors the fact that BOTH games were extremely successful and that the future of TW is bright with their next title due to release in 2011? :)

Reactions: Zetsumei
Upvote 0
not surprising, the thing i dont understand is why they are prioritizing porting RO to UT3 before KF.

RO:HoS is as much port to RO as much as Commandos 2 is port of Commandos, Diablo 2 is a port of Diablo or Resident Evil 4 is a port of Resident Evil 3. :p

Edit: in case if someone failed to read inbetween the lines, in other words: they are NOT ports at all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
RO:HoS is as much port to RO as much as Commandos 2 is port of Commandos, Diablo 2 is a port of Diablo or Resident Evil 4 is a port of Resident Evil 3. :p

They aren't really ports, they are sequels. RO:HoS is not a port, it's a new game that takes many elements and environments from RO:Ostfront 41-45 and takes advantage of Unreal Engine 3 to make it AS realistic as possible. It's a sequel to RO:Ostfront 41-45 basically.

Upvote 0
"Wilson said Tripwire, a small independent studio, was able to sell 1 million units of the shooter Killing Floor by offering free downloadable content, making the title more attractive to gamers as time went on. That brought in more sales, and built up goodwill between the studio and its customers, he said."

Source: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...hooter_Creators_Think_About_Subscriptions.php

So there you have it folks. That explains Wilson's gold teeth and the ol' Grizzly's Trans AM! I hope Alex was smart enough to negotiate royalties per sale, a couple of bucks each...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
"Wilson said Tripwire, a small independent studio, was able to sell 1 million units of the shooter Killing Floor by offering free downloadable content, making the title more attractive to gamers as time went on. That brought in more sales, and built up goodwill between the studio and its customers, he said."

Source: [url]http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/29877/InDepth_What_FirstPerson_Shooter_Creators_Think_About_Subscriptions.php[/URL]

So there you have it folks. That explains Wilson's gold teeth and the ol' Grizzly's Trans AM! I hope Alex was smart enough to negotiate royalties per sale, a couple of bucks each...
Unfortunately, they are mis-quoting me somewhat - I said "over a million units" referring to all titles... but whatever - it sounds nice :)

Upvote 0
Of course, KF2 will have to be majorly different to KF1.

I hope not. I usually don't like the third person games, but I absolutely loved Splinter Cell. I bought Splinter Cell 2 the second it was released and they screwed it into a cocked hat. From what I have read, SC3 was even worse.

If KF2 is ever released, I want I better graphics although I am happy with the graphics now. I want the gameplay and the flow to stay exactly the same. The last thing I want is TWI to alter the game and make it a completely different game.

Upvote 0
Never played Splinter Cell. :confused:

And I'm not in the best of moods today, so no need to be sarky. :rolleyes:

Go call your boyfriend and get in a better mood.
Smiley_Poke.gif

Reactions: C_Gibby
Upvote 0
Unfortunately, they are mis-quoting me somewhat - I said "over a million units" referring to all titles... but whatever - it sounds nice :)

odd, that's exactly the way i read it.......1 million total units sold, as in copies of RO, copies of KF and i'm guessing DLCs as well....possibly also Zeno Clash? last time i saw an official number on RO sales was like, last year and it was something like 450,000 copies.

Upvote 0
odd, that's exactly the way i read it.......1 million total units sold, as in copies of RO, copies of KF and i'm guessing DLCs as well....possibly also Zeno Clash? last time i saw an official number on RO sales was like, last year and it was something like 450,000 copies.

I read it the same way, units sold. It didn't specify anything in particular.

Upvote 0
In the UK PC shelves are non existent in Game stores these days.
This. And it saddens me.
We all know Ramm's rolling in a pile of Ferraris :rolleyes:
Fixt
I hope not. I usually don't like the third person games, but I absolutely loved Splinter Cell. I bought Splinter Cell 2 the second it was released and they screwed it into a cocked hat. From what I have read, SC3 was even worse.
From the hardcore fans' perspective, 3 was the best. Me, I like all of them and for some reason, really liked Conviction.

Upvote 0

I read it the same way, units sold. It didn't specify anything in particular.

Oh come on. I know I only have a 'B' grade English level but how did you read this as 'other units' haha

"Wilson said Tripwire, a small independent studio, was able to sell 1 million units of the shooter Killing Floor by offering free downloadable content, making the title more attractive to gamers

I bow down to your grade 'A' telepathic English levels

Reactions: Oldih and SMIFF
Upvote 0
Oh come on. I know I only have a 'B' grade English level but how did you read this as 'other units' haha

because this is what Alan actually said and you (probably intentionally just to troll ) misquoted:

Wilson said Tripwire, a small independent studio founded in 2005, has been able to sell a total of 1 million PC software units by offering free downloadable content, making the title more attractive to gamers as time went on. That brought in more sales, and built up goodwill between the studio and its customers, he said.

no where was it specified to just being units of KF sold.....the logical deduction would be that Alan was referring to the total of every "PC software unit" they've sold in 4+ years, which would include RO, KF, KF's DLCs, and Zeno Clash considering they are all PC software units. ;)

like i hinted at earlier......your obvious insertion of "the shooter Killing Floor" in place of what was actually said makes me believe this was just a pointless attempt to troll. :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0