• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Whats up with M14

Laser sight isn't needed, ammo count would be fine if it wasn't for the huge insane BODYSHOT DAMAGE

Now that I got your attention, why should the sharpshooter be able to outdamage a commando with bodyshots only?

Drop the damage increase completely and buff headshot damage.
This way guns end up doing ridiculously low damage unless you aim for the head, which completely stop m14 spamming since you're doing so little damage its not worth it.

Also, why is this discussion still going on? I thought there was a balance patch coming "soon"?

Upvote 0
Laser sight isn't needed, ammo count would be fine if it wasn't for the huge insane BODYSHOT DAMAGE

Now that I got your attention, why should the sharpshooter be able to outdamage a commando with bodyshots only?

Drop the damage increase completely and buff headshot damage.
This way guns end up doing ridiculously low damage unless you aim for the head, which completely stop m14 spamming since you're doing so little damage its not worth it.

Also, why is this discussion still going on? I thought there was a balance patch coming "soon"?

Lol, you wish. Even without the bonus 50% bodyshot damage you would still be dealing plenty of damage to regular zeds. The entire gun is broken, you can't just change 1 aspect and think it'll be miraculously balanced. With 300 bullets, next to no recoil, fast reload and refire and all its other issues, you'd still be able to spam until you hit the head (or just aim higher) so it wouldn't change much at all.

Upvote 0
Lol, you wish. Even without the bonus 50% bodyshot damage you would still be dealing plenty of damage to regular zeds. The entire gun is broken, you can't just change 1 aspect and think it'll be miraculously balanced. With 300 bullets, next to no recoil, fast reload and refire and all its other issues, you'd still be able to spam until you hit the head (or just aim higher) so it wouldn't change much at all.

Well if the gun can't one hit kill everything, it means more bodyshot needed to kill = less ammo = people more inclined to shoot the freaking head.

I wish somebody could make a mutator so we could try this out.

Upvote 0
Well if the gun can't one hit kill everything, it means more bodyshot needed to kill = less ammo = people more inclined to shoot the freaking head.

I wish somebody could make a mutator so we could try this out.

The gun could never 1 hit kill everything even with 50% extra damage and Suicidal even now its not that effective if you body shot. The point is that if you spam enough shots you usually end up hitting the head to kill it anyway. Raising the bar of the average M14 spammer isn't doing much...

Upvote 0
Just get rid of it completely along with the crossbow and add a .50 cal sniper rifle or something. even adding a scope you can buy for 100 pounds and attach to weapons for SS only would be great.

No, just never again. TWI spent all this work texturing, modelling, programming, animating and giving those weapons sounds. How about add a scope to the M14 EBR instead of a laser?

Upvote 0
We Commandos don't want the EBR damnit. We have three sexy assault rifles already; don't dump an ugly one on us. :mad::IS2:

the gun itself is actually pretty sexy.......in fact it's way too sexy for the SS to have it :p.

btw there is no "we" and never should be....that kind of biased attitude that people have when attacking/defending specific perks shouldn't be used. people should be looking at the big picture and keep the entire game in perspective. you find solutions that's best for balancing the game as a whole not just worrying about how your personal favorite is affected.

oh, and the commando currently has two sexy assualt rifles and one sexy battle rifle (the SCAR is the battle rifle version ;)).

Reactions: SMIFF
Upvote 0
the gun itself is actually pretty sexy.......in fact it's way too sexy for the SS to have it :p.

btw there is no "we" and never should be....that kind of biased attitude that people have when attacking/defending specific perks shouldn't be used. people should be looking at the big picture and keep the entire game in perspective. you find solutions that's best for balancing the game as a whole not just worrying about how your personal favorite is affected.

oh, and the commando currently has two sexy assualt rifles and one sexy battle rifle (the SCAR is the battle rifle version ;)).

I'm really finding it hard to understand how adding the EBR to the Commando's weaponry would be "balanced" in any way. To me it seems arbitrary and stupid when the EBR would be absolutely fine for the SS if it was tweaked appropriately. Even if Commando wasn't my favorite it's still easy to see that the class doesn't need another weapon.

Upvote 0
I'm really finding it hard to understand how adding the EBR to the Commando's weaponry would be "balanced" in any way. To me it seems arbitrary and stupid when the EBR would be absolutely fine for the SS if it was tweaked appropriately. Even if Commando wasn't my favorite it's still easy to see that the class doesn't need another weapon.

you're still missing the entire basis of my arguement for moving the EBR to the commando class.....i never said the commando needs another weapon. i never said that making it a commando weapon would help balance the commando perk. the arguement isn't that the commando needs the weapon, but that the SS needs it removed and giving it to the commando would be wise as it wouldn't unbalance the commando. taking it away from the SS would help balance the SS perk and since the weapon would need a new perk to belong to, the commando would be the logical solution as the battle rifle by design is closer in similarity to the SCAR than any other weapon in the game.

again, my proposed 2-part "solution" would be to first take the EBR away from the SS and give it to the commando. the second part of the proposal would be to take the bullpup from the commando and give it to the medic to keep the commando balanced with 3 perk specific weapons. the result would be that the SS gets a "nerf" that it needs, the medic gets a second weapon and a "buff" that it needs, all while keeping the commando balanced.

what's "arbitrary and stupid" is trying to seriously believe that the EBR can ever be a proper SS's weapon. unless they take away the semi-auto capability of the weapon, reduce the mag size to 10 rounds and take away the ability to shoot with it from the hip, the weapon will continue to be spammed by players who want to fill the role of "mop up" despite using a perk designed for a different role.

Last edited:
Reactions: Olivier
Upvote 0
you're still missing the entire basis of my arguement for moving the EBR to the commando class.....i never said the commando needs another weapon. i never said that making it a commando weapon would help balance the commando perk. the arguement isn't that the commando needs the weapon, but that the SS needs it removed and giving it to the commando would be wise as it wouldn't unbalance the commando. taking it away from the SS would help balance the SS perk and since the weapon would need a new perk to belong to, the commando would be the logical solution as the battle rifle by design is closer in similarity to the SCAR than any other weapon in the game.

again, my proposed 2-part "solution" would be to first take the EBR away from the SS and give it to the commando. the second part of the proposal would be to take the bullpup from the commando and give it to the medic to keep the commando balanced with 3 perk specific weapons. the result would be that the SS gets a "nerf" that it needs, the medic gets a second weapon and a "buff" that it needs, all while keeping the commando balanced.

what's "arbitrary and stupid" is trying to seriously believe that the EBR can ever be a proper SS's weapon. unless they take away the semi-auto capability of the weapon, reduce the mag size to 10 rounds and take away the ability to shoot with it from the hip, the weapon will continue to be spammed by players who want to fill the role of "mop up" despite using a perk designed for a different role.

Since when does the Medic need a buff? Give the bullpup to the Medic? Are you high? So the bullpup would go to Medic, the AK would now be Commando's tier 1 weapon, EBR tier 2 and the SCAR tier 3? Thank goodness you're not in the development team.

I'm sure Tripwire will do what needs to be done to the EBR in order to curb its spammability. Sure it's not a traditional Sharpshooter weapon but neither is a 9mm pistol. If it were tweaked appropriately it'd be fine. You don't need to go around yanking weapons and switching them between classes.

Reactions: Discoisntdead
Upvote 0
Since when does the Medic need a buff? Give the bullpup to the Medic? Are you high? So the bullpup would go to Medic, the AK would now be Commando's tier 1 weapon, EBR tier 2 and the SCAR tier 3? Thank goodness you're not in the development team.

might want to watch your tone.....refuting a claim/idea is one thing but the way in which you say it is something you may want to work on....and no i'm not "high" at all, aside from maybe being "high" on putting some thought into my statements and supporting my ideas with logical conclusions, as opposed to what you are doing which is basically saying that my idea sucks without giving any real reasons to refute them as well as not providing any other logical solution as an alternative ;)

anyway......

for the medic: the medic currently has 1 "weapon" for the perk, which is the mp7. sure he has the same inventory as all the other perks (knife, 9mm, syringe, grenades) and has bonuses applied to the syringe and armour, but the fact is that his ability to defend himself is still lacking in any type of real power. sure i agree that the medic's priority should be to heal team mates, but he still deserves something "offensive". that's why we see medics end up buying a crossbow and/or katana so that they have a better chance to get kills or protect themselves. i don't believe that the medic should ever be able to use either of those two weapons as it's my opinion that perks should use the weapons linked to that perk as they were designed for use with that perk to do a specific job. giving the medic another smg/light assault rifle (bullpup is a Carbine version of an assault rifle) with the same healing dart attachment would allow the perk to still fill his role to heal friendlies while giving him a better chance to do some good killing. a medic with a bullpup and mp7 (both with healing darts) would make much more sense to me compared to him using an mp7 and a crossbow attempting to shoot FP which is FAR from what he should be focusing on.

now as for the commando: the EBR and the SCAR would essentially be interchangeable and equally serve as the tier3 weapon. players could either choose to use the EBR for the laser or the SCAR for the scope depending on which they preferred. the overall "power" of the two guns would be about equal so all that would change would be an additional level3 weapon to add variety.

as for the tier1/2 weapons, it's good that CandleJack mentioned the solution:

Or as i suggested, port in the SA80/L85 rifle and make that the Tier1/2 weapon for Commando.

i like this idea.....the gun was originally the "commando" weapon in the mod, why not bring it back? it could be either tier1 or tier2 and the AK could fill the other tier.

again, the result of the moves would help nerf the SS, "buff" the medic slightly and keep the commando balanced which all leads to a much more balanced perk system.

Last edited:
Upvote 0