• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New Perk Class - Prototype Engineer

avp2501

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 4, 2009
Lost in the land of Magic
Here's a class which I thought might be fun.

You are an ex-emplyee of horzine specializing in the field testing of "Prototype" weapons and so you are the ONLY one capable of using these weapons, if any other perk attempted it they would blow up because they don't know what they are doing.

Weapon Suggestions:

• FireThrower
  • Plasma Mine
  • Laser Rifle
  • Freeze Ray
FireThrower
Shoots a ball containing fire, when it hits an object the area bursts into flames.

Pros:

• Large area of effect.
  • Clears large crowds of weaklings from a distance.
Cons:

• Does little dammage to the heavy units (FP/Scrake etc).
  • Cannot be used close up - doing so will burn you heavily and make the area difficult to see through.

Plasma Mine
When a zombie steps on this he gets electricuited along with any other zombies nearby.

Pros:

• High damage - Small to Medium area of effect.
Cons:

• Cannot carry many (Maybe 2)
  • Zombies have to pretty much step dead on the mine to activate.
  • Does not hurt heavy unit AT ALL (FP/Boss/Scrake)

Laser Rifle
Very powerful 1-hit kill rifle. Has a recharge counter on the side of the rifle (eg 27% Charge).

Pros:

• Extemely powerful and excellent penetration (Like xBow)
  • Very accurate and has a good iron sight - something like the LAR doesn't zoom in as much as the xBow.
  • Can recharge while you use another weapon.
  • Laser can penetrate doors without damaging the door.
Cons:

• Very slow recharge time (Aprox 5 Mins - use it wisely)
  • Laser is of medium weight so you can only have tier 1 or 2 weapons to back you up.

Freeze Ray

Quite similar to the Pyros Flamethrower but does not do ANY damage.

Pros:

• Freezes weakling on the spot.
  • Slows down heavy units.
Cons:

• Fuel runs out quickly (like flamethrower).
  • Takes up alot of inventory space.
  • Blocks vision when in use (similar graphics effect as the flamethrower).

Have I put much though into it? NO

So why suggest it? Because I'd love to see what you guys come up with.

Will this unbalance the game?
Not if it's done right and these are just base suggestions which can be heavily altered. I'd just love to see some prototype weapons.

team fortress 2 forums are here: [URL]http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=80[/URL]

jk. It sounds very futuristic for killing floor, but it's a cool idea I guess. Maybe instead of a laser rifle you could have a diamond cutter. Sounds more contemporary.

wow and horizon biotech cloning an army of zombie mutants is not futuristic??? perhaps these weapons were supplied by or looted from a horizon lab??

although plasma mines.... electrocution ???? plasma is the 4'th state of matter. so hot that the electrons are actually blasted away from the nucleas of the atom creating a cloud of highly charged superheated ... plasma. basically the stuff the sun is made from. the mine would probibally incinerate anythign within 20 feet nearly instantly. currently the only way to create plasma is in a experimental fusion reactor or partical accelerator and would be higly radioactive. basically everything on the map that didn't die instantly would die of cancer or radiation within a day or so. maby make it a stun mine or somthing like that but plasma mines would be borderline WMD's

Last edited:
Upvote 0
although plasma mines.... electrocution ???? plasma is the 4'th state of matter. so hot that the electrons are actually blasted away from the nucleas of the atom creating a cloud of highly charged superheated ... plasma. basically the stuff the sun is made from. the mine would probibally incinerate anythign within 20 feet nearly instantly. currently the only way to create plasma is in a experimental fusion reactor or partical accelerator and would be higly radioactive. basically everything on the map that didn't die instantly would die of cancer or radiation within a day or so. maby make it a stun mine or somthing like that but plasma mines would be borderline WMD's[/QUOTE]

isn't fire plasma?

Upvote 0
Instead of a plasma mine, how about a mine that moves around looking for specimens?

It could easily be done by modeling the code after specimens but altering the target from players to specs. So like a gorefast. It moves slowly around until it "targets" a spec (maybe stronger specs get priority) and rushes it.

This would have a fixed cost between 1500-2000, with only 1 per player. Though Protos get a discount, say 40-50%?

Upvote 0
wow and horizon biotech cloning an army of zombie mutants is not futuristic??? perhaps these weapons were supplied by or looted from a horizon lab??

although plasma mines.... electrocution ???? plasma is the 4'th state of matter. so hot that the electrons are actually blasted away from the nucleas of the atom creating a cloud of highly charged superheated ... plasma. basically the stuff the sun is made from. the mine would probibally incinerate anythign within 20 feet nearly instantly. currently the only way to create plasma is in a experimental fusion reactor or partical accelerator and would be higly radioactive. basically everything on the map that didn't die instantly would die of cancer or radiation within a day or so. maby make it a stun mine or somthing like that but plasma mines would be borderline WMD's

Get out.

Actually sounds like quite an interesting idea.
Highly doubt it would be done officially, but you never know what can come out of the community.

Upvote 0
How about an Ion Core Reactor you can setup in the map? If you damage it, then a UT2004 assault announcher will say: Warning! Primary Emergency Protocols are now in effect! Radiation levels increasing within the Ion Core. Ground staff, please evacuate to the designated safe area.
And if it used to much you will hear this: Warning! Secondary Emergency Protocols are now in effect! Power overload in Ion Core Reactor. All staff must evacuate immediately! Anyways what it does is powers the plasma mines so watever that guys name theory against them will be useless.

Upvote 0
although plasma mines.... electrocution ???? plasma is the 4'th state of matter...

Exactly what I thought. Plasma wouldnt cause electrocution lol, more like melting or something.

It just seems to me that people want KF to turn in Team Fortress 2 with zombies/specimens. The OP might deny this but look he even called Firebug Pyro, unless he actually ment the one from TF2 but in any case my point is valid.

No freeze rays, laserguns and such in KF please..

Upvote 0
Laser weapons arn't as fictional as they may sound - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-10682693[url]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-10682693[/URL]

Exactly what I thought. Plasma wouldnt cause electrocution lol, more like melting or something.

It just seems to me that people want KF to turn in Team Fortress 2 with zombies/specimens. The OP might deny this but look he even called Firebug Pyro.

I'm not up on Plasma other than Plasma Balls can happen as a natural weather phenomenom.

As for TF2, I can't stand it. It's really not my cup o' tea. Yeah I call Firebug a Pyro because it's easier to say, I also call the Sharpshooter a Sniper and the Berzerker a Brute or Tank.

We got the Husk running around with fictional weaponry so why can't we?

Ok don't go over the top with it but just something might work out great.

Upvote 0
Horzine has already made enough crazy stuff, I wouldn't be surprised if they made some sort of energy weapon, but I really don't care if it gets put in the game or not. It is an idea though.

Cloning is real and exists in today's technology. Laser rifles, plasma mines, and "freeze rays" do not.

Oh come on, the Stalkers have cloaks, the sirens are capable of breaking or killing anything with a scream, and the Husk is somehow immune to fire and has a big fire cannon for an arm.

Last edited:
Reactions: YoYoBatty
Upvote 0
Tesla rifle

Running on some heavy batteries, maybe like a bagpack making it the only weapon able to carry.

electrocuting the zeds and sending a smaller spark to the next zed standing close to the one, being fried.

Now that's a weapon I want in KF!

The Firethrower. Doesn't it just sound like a powered up version of the "Fire-nade"?

Otherwise no. It's a no-no from me, sir.

Upvote 0