• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Katana should be able to hit multiple enemies?

Katana is strong enough already. If anything this should be for the Chainsaw.
I've seen treads about nerfing and giving them more power and so on and I've seen that comment over and over again (Not only by you, sir), but I just don't understand why people focus more on balancing than realism (Did I really write that?).

Make the Katana being able to slash multiple targets. So do it with the chainsaw, 'cause it's the same. Isn't the katana and chainsaws dmg the same? (Haven't really checked)

Upvote 0
I've seen treads about nerfing and giving them more power and so on and I've seen that comment over and over again (Not only by you, sir), but I just don't understand why people focus more on balancing than realism (Did I really write that?).

Make the Katana being able to slash multiple targets. So do it with the chainsaw, 'cause it's the same. Isn't the katana and chainsaws dmg the same? (Haven't really checked)

You call it realistic that someone could slash a katana with enough force to not just hit but cut straight through multiple enemies? The Chainsaw at least continues cutting, even if its been stated that the blade will stop if it hits bone, but theres a hell of alot more in support of the Chainsaw being capable of it, especially when the Chainsaw is currently worthless and the Katana isn't.

Upvote 0
Also, in the upcoming update devs really should reduce machete's size to 2 blocks. There are lots of loadout variations that leave 2 useless blocks, so if anything would help the machete to be used more frequently, that should be it.

About multiple hits: katana is powerful enough already. Chainsaw needs it more.

Upvote 0
while the katana itself is easily capable of cutting through multiple enemys, the user whos holding it won't be able to. the katana is too light to give such force to do it because it has no weight to assist that. Thats why huge battle axes could do it, but not katanas.

And the chainsaw's blade was not designed to cut into flesh, Weird as it may sound, but wood is like a much harder version of chalk, the blade cuts out a section like a cookie cutter, moves it to the front, and throws it out of the chain by the bend or by the a clearing of the chain, but does this multiple times within a matter of seconds which is why you see a bunch of wood chips fly obviously. Notice the 'Cup' in the blade to push the wood out.

saw_blade.jpg

Flesh in the other hand doesnt get cut out like a cookie cutter as easy as wood, which is why it ends up getting balled up and tangled in the blade. And bone is a whole other story.

Unless of course, you change the blades of the chainsaw, where the chain would be designed to not just cut out a piece, but just have smaller individual blades on the chain, where each blade cuts freely into the flesh without any resistance. such as say... a chainsword from warhammer 40k

Latex_Chainsword_by_Zapan99.jpg

The blade of the chainsword you see here doesnt spin constantly as would a classic chainsaw, but rather moves back and forth rapidly to prevent unnessesary parts from jamming up the blade. If all of this was utilized, it would cut a fleshpound in two by the torso and would still have the power to cleave through more.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You call it realistic that someone could slash a katana with enough force to not just hit but cut straight through multiple enemies? The Chainsaw at least continues cutting, even if its been stated that the blade will stop if it hits bone, but theres a hell of alot more in support of the Chainsaw being capable of it, especially when the Chainsaw is currently worthless and the Katana isn't.

i would suggest you go buy yourself real katana (not the cheap crap) pay yourself some kendo lessons (and equipment), so you'll know at least how to hold it and how to move with it and than come back and tell me that it is not realistic cut two necks or slash (kill) two enemies standing next to each other with one hit

should the katana be stronger in game - no
should the "reach" of the katana be extended - hell yea , so it feels like katana and not like machete

Upvote 0
i would suggest you go buy yourself real katana (not the cheap crap) pay yourself some kendo lessons (and equipment), so you'll know at least how to hold it and how to move with it and than come back and tell me that it is not realistic cut two necks or slash (kill) two enemies standing next to each other with one hit

should the "reach" of the katana be extended - hell yea , so it feels like katana and not like machete

Sure, can you and your best mate get some mad biotics scientist to enhance your strength which would increase muscle density and skin/bone toughness then come along and let me cut your heads off to see how easy it is?
Talk about stupid...

Upvote 0

And here is shown the difference between what most people are imagining and the reality. Beerhead, understand that what everyone here is imagining, and fighting, is a katana cleaving multiple people in half. As in fully cutting through them, bone and all. This is not possible. Everyone else, you have to understand that that is not how you use a katana. It is a slashing weapon, and it is perfectly possible to make more than one kill with a katana, but you have to understand that you're not smashing through them but rather slicing them open.

That said, certain enemies would in real life be practically immune to the katana. Namely the Fleshpound with all the metal covering his body, it would be damn hard to get any good hit in there.

However, this is a bloody game, and you can be damn sure that most people don't care about the actual mechanics of what it would be like in real life.

The katana is fine as it is.

Upvote 0

Oh c'mon u really thought that KF is about learning kendo and slashing zombies with master level kenjutsu skill that u seen in the movies slashing multiple objects with clean cut? You obviously do not know how tough it is to slash a single object clean cut while holding the katana in a curve motion and here u trying to say it is as easy as paying for lessons with 100% guaranteed? Even a highly trained kenjutsu master need to slice them one by one but with quick succession rather than a one shot for multiple kills.

Upvote 0
Sure, can you and your best mate get some mad biotics scientist to enhance your strength which would increase muscle density and skin/bone toughness then come along and let me cut your heads off to see how easy it is?
Talk about stupid...
lol yea that was fastest lessons ever , talk about stupid is also good point ..grow up ,
go get some lessons and than come back , it is more than obvious that you never had katana in your hands and that you have absolutely no idea how it is used ,so stop making fool from yourself

btw i do iaid

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
And here is shown the difference between what most people are imagining and the reality. Beerhead, understand that what everyone here is imagining, and fighting, is a katana cleaving multiple people in half. As in fully cutting through them, bone and all. This is not possible. Everyone else, you have to understand that that is not how you use a katana. It is a slashing weapon, and it is perfectly possible to make more than one kill with a katana, but you have to understand that you're not smashing through them but rather slicing them open.

That said, certain enemies would in real life be practically immune to the katana. Namely the Fleshpound with all the metal covering his body, it would be damn hard to get any good hit in there.

However, this is a bloody game, and you can be damn sure that most people don't care about the actual mechanics of what it would be like in real life.

The katana is fine as it is.

Agreed. I've seen quite a few types of swords in demonstrations and while they are deadly against one target, it is just not possible to take down more than one foe at a time. Yet saying that, if you're quick enough, then in actual fact you are taking down multiple enemies just not with one swing, as said above, Katana are not meant for smashing, they are meant for slicing. Chainsaw on the other hand, if the blades were replaced with different blades as mentioned by Unit-05, would be able to. But all of the weapons expect the Chainsaw which needs to be buffed back up again, are working perfectly as there are. A longer reach with the Katana I think...I think the Zerk class should have maybe a 5% extra reach at say Lv6 so it's not overpowered should it be included.

Upvote 0
Yes... fish and genetically enhanced humans, same thing.
I consider genetically engineered humans whose heads can be cut off clean with just about anything and explode from 9mm shots to be about equal to fish, yes.
They don't look hard at all. In fact "soft as ****e" describes them pretty well, don't you think?
Well, most of them.

However, talk about stupid, bringing that whole "lolrealism" discussion in here again is quite pointless and the katana is, gameplay wise, fine as it is.
Well except for the pointless semi-auto but that's a whole different topic.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Few words from someone that actually owns a katana: some sources say that master Japanese swordmakers tested their products on dead bodies, and some of them were able to cut through up to 3 corpses in a single blow. And that's a thing more of a legend than actual historically accurate sources.

Nevertheless 1000 pounds worth, contemporary katana is a decent weapon. Can it sever limbs? With a long, powerful swing - sure. Can it behead a man? Yes, if you have some luck and/or skill. Can it cut a man in half or cleave through several fleshy targets? No. To successfully cut a dense target, one must concentrate the force of a blow in a very narrow, critical point (like a bone, when we talk about severing limbs). After reaching it, the blade has very little remaining force, given that it has limited fictitious force due to its low weight.

Ok, now some referential meat-chopping vids.

YouTube - COLD STEEL SWORD KATANA PROOF

YouTube - COLD STEEL JAPANESE WARRIOR CHISA KATANA

Upvote 0