• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Mutator Fix] Specimen Mut fix

Why did you take the mutators off of the white list? I liked being able to work on my level by myself with no one elses help. Because when you play online with a low level people just get mad at you for being low level. So why did you take mutators off of the whitelist? I like being able to level my perks by myself sometimes.

Upvote 0
Why did you take the mutators off of the white list? I liked being able to work on my level by myself with no one elses help. Because when you play online with a low level people just get mad at you for being low level. So why did you take mutators off of the whitelist? I like being able to level my perks by myself sometimes.

Why not just level your perks offline without the mutators, or here's an idea; play on a beginner server.

Upvote 0

Here's the "official" response. The game was not meant to be played against only one type of specimen. We left those in there previously because we didn't have time to take them out, but because their existence became a source of leveling exploitation, such as you are describing, we have removed their appeal. The game was meant to be played against waves of specimens as we laid out for Beginner, Normal, Hard, and Suicidal, thus Perks should only go up when the game is played the way it's meant to be played(which is why we created a Map Whitelist to remove those horrible leveling maps that came out days after the game was released).

Upvote 0
well, sad but fair enough I don't know how much time you think we have to sit and grind perks like that.. its slow enough with mutators not to mention i have 125hours on the game.

So if you won't let us level our perks up can you at least make our perks work with the mutators so we can actually play pandemonium etc successfully,

When I try play with mutators it disables my perks. They go blank. I start with a pistol with no buffs, to be clear.

Upvote 0
Yeah, de-whitelisting mutators is one thing... I may not really approve of that, but it's your game, whatever... but the fact that this broke all the servers that did run them for whatever reasons, however legitimate... and moreover, that nobody was notified of it, and no mention was even made in the changelog or mutator whitelist thread of removing them, is seriously un-cool. I wasted a LOT of my scarce free time trying to track down why my servers weren't working, and a lot of my players are still very unhappy and blaming me for all of this.

EDIT: I should also point out my reasons for my disapproval, I think:

Firstly, I would much rather new players grind up on poundamonium servers than on, say, suicidal servers, where the other players really don't want to look after a bunch of lvl 0s. I've had NUMEROUS complaints about this happening lately, and I never used to. I really don't have time to baby-sit my servers and kick low-level players.

Secondly, I really don't see the problem with people using mutators to level faster, especially if they increase the relative difficulty, as the poundamonium ones do. Not everyone wants to spend assloads of time grinding up against weaker enemies, so power-leveling is a valid strategy, IMO. Especially since some people, like myself, very very seriously dislike leveling systems with dragged-out grinding like that, but whatever, it's a personal preference--I just find it harder to recommend the game to people when there's absolutely no way around the long grind. And yes, I've bought AT LEAST 10 copies for friends so far in the past, so I'm not just blowing smoke out my ***.

Third, in the time since the update, people have only been playing on broken maps and using exploits, probably because without perks, they can't reasonably survive with just a pistol. This is an issue with it being broken more than anything, but regardless, it's lame.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Disabling levelling is one thing, but disabling perks is another story. Let's think: solo beginner poundamonium:

Player spawns with 9mm: 8 mags x 15 rounds = 120 shots x 25-35 damage = 3000-4200 + 3 x 250dmg hand grenades = maximum 4950 damage potential available to a player without perks.

14 fleshpounds x 750 health each = 10500 raw health force.

I reckon half of fleshpounds player has to dispatch with a knife?

The way it is now, this mutator is just useless, as completing one wave on beginner with it is utterly impossible.

Reactions: crystaldragons
Upvote 0
Disabling levelling is one thing, but disabling perks is another story. Let's think: solo beginner poundamonium:

Player spawns with 9mm: 8 mags x 15 rounds = 120 shots x 25-35 damage = 3000-4200 + 3 x 250dmg hand grenades = maximum 4950 damage potential available to a player without perks.

14 fleshpounds x 750 health each = 10500 raw health force.

I reckon half of fleshpounds player has to dispatch with a knife?

The way it is now, this mutator is just useless, as completing one wave on beginner with it is utterly impossible.

that's because this example hardly ever happened. people who used that mutator on beginner were already higher level perks (from 3-5) and would load up the mutator to grind their perks for massive ammounts of damage points.

Reactions: Olivier
Upvote 0
Upvote 0