• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
Back on topic - An option to pick what level of perk you want to play as from the levels you have already achieved for use in lower level games would be a solid way of playing with your newbie friends. As long as you could carry on levelling your own perks at the same time I think this idea is solid.

The problem is...there isn't really a challenge on normal/easy, even when you ARE level 0. As long as you can aim, the challenge isn't there :x

I personally remember being a level 1 Medic on normal when I first started playing and getting absolutely boned by fleshpounds and scrakes... I also remember it took me and my friends 15 games to beat the Patty just the once too xD

To be hoenst there isn't really a downside to this idea. It wouldn't have any affect on anyone who doesn't have any newbie friends, so anyone complaining about it really doesn't have a right to :)

Furthermore it would be massively helpful for those people that do. I myself have played nearly 300 hours of KF, just unlocked Mr Perky yesterday legit (With none of this play poundamonium on beginner crap :D). However the rest of my friends haven't spent anywhere near as much time on the game, and 1 of them has only just joined up playing maybe 2 weeks ago. Being able to set my perk down to any level relative to the difficulty I was playing on would not only put me in the same ballpark as my fiiends, it would also have a fantastic nostalgia feeling :)

Two thumbs up from the J* :cool:

Upvote 0
Back on topic - An option to pick what level of perk you want to play as from the levels you have already achieved for use in lower level games would be a solid way of playing with your newbie friends. [...] Being able to set my perk down to any level relative to the difficulty
But OP was suggesting that there be a mandatory cap to prevent high level player farming or ruining 6 man normal servers. I really doubt anyone here would dislike the ability to alter their perk level temporarily to a level they have already achieved while leveling was still active but locking max level is questionable and requires a good judgment on what is realistic, and that doesn't even take into account skill. Should we add an automatic player kick if one player has 90% of the kills? In-game player kick are the easiest way to handle most problems like high level perk farming in normal 6 man.

Upvote 0
LoL forgot the original idea was for a level cap rather than a option to alter levels, so I'll change my original post of agreeing with the idea, to a revised idea :)

I suppose Normal and Beginner servers could have a level cap, where it would automatically set a player to the maximum level perk allowed (Still carrying on my misinterpretation ;)), but Hard and Suicidal dont need a cap for obvious reasons. I reckon server admins also being able to turn this function on and off would please everyone... except the farmers of course, but screw them :D

Upvote 0
I'm all for this idea, as long as it's optional for the server.

I don't want it to be optional for the server, because this will guarantee that 90% of the Normal/Hard/Suicidal servers will have minimum restrictions placed on them - probably ridiculous ones as well.

Leave it as an option for the player to voluntarily restrict themselves. Sometimes a Level 6 is helpful in a game. When I'm in a Normal server with a friend who just got the game and a bunch of low level perks, I can use my greater power to save their collective butts and watch out for them. Worst case scenario I can almost certainly salvage the game solo if everyone else dies.

I again pledge that if this comes into play as a server-side option, [AE] will never enact it on any of its servers.

Upvote 0
The only problem i see with being able to choose what level perk you are before jumping into a game, is that a very high % will still jump into normal games with level 6...just to grief and show off e-peen ;)

To be honest, you dont need a level 6 perk in normal - they just dont belong, just as a level 1 perk doesnt need to be on suicidal.

a game like Killing Floor (especially it being a wave type game) needs a lot of balance, infact the balance needs to be as close to perfect as possible...too hard no point playing and too easy just gets boring - and with a perk cap i honestly believe it will keep the game challenging (if the levels are capped correctly) and provide balance!

but thats just my thoughts...and i agree with what everyone has said on the subject even the ones that are against what i think ;)

Upvote 0
Back on topic - An option to pick what level of perk you want to play as from the levels you have already achieved for use in lower level games would be a solid way of playing with your newbie friends. As long as you could carry on levelling your own perks at the same time I think this idea is solid.

I personally remember being a level 1 Medic on normal when I first started playing and getting absolutely boned by fleshpounds and scrakes... I also remember it took me and my friends 15 games to beat the Patty just the once too xD

Furthermore it would be massively helpful for those people that do. I myself have played nearly 300 hours of KF, just unlocked Mr Perky yesterday legit (With none of this play poundamonium on beginner crap :D). However the rest of my friends haven't spent anywhere near as much time on the game, and 1 of them has only just joined up playing maybe 2 weeks ago. Being able to set my perk down to any level relative to the difficulty I was playing on would not only put me in the same ballpark as my friends, it would also have a fantastic nostalgia feeling :)

I'm rebumping this thread with this Quote, because I personally think it is THE best idea for the future of Killing Floor.

Being able to roll back your perks to any level you have previously unlocked I wouldn't have thought would be hard to code (although my own knowledge of coding is experienced novice at best ;)), and would really help bring the community, and new players into the game.

Plus I myself remember how fun trying to play on normal as level 1 was back in the day, and although I won't want to do it all the time, I don't want to have to play level 6 suicidal all the time either.

P.S. Although it is my quote I'm sure I heard someone suggest this before me, I just can only find my post.

Upvote 0
It is a good idea, i want to play at level 1 on normal again, would your perks still level in the background though?

I dont see why not, as its more of a hinderance than a help. Alls it would do is redeuce your perk level down so there shouldn't be any reason why perk progress would need to stop functioning too.

Mostly I figure being able to select any level you have unlocked gives you more freedom to enjoy the game to its fullest. If you fancy an easier run you can go level 5 hard, if you fancy a challenge you can go level 3 hard. And of course if one of your friends starts playing the game and is level 0, you can join him on level 0 too.

Thats what I mainly want it for, I talk a tonne of my mates into getting the game, then they wind up not playing it much cause I go level 6 medic into a normal game and if they die I easily clutch. Whereas if your team gets wiped then the challenge is much more appreciated which is what we all loved about the game in the first place ;)

Upvote 0
Quite simply (this is just an example) if a level 6/5 perk joins a beginner game they would only get the perk bonus of say level 2
if they join normal they will get perk bonus level 4
and hard and suicidal they will get the perk bonus of whatever level they are.

Why in the world would a lvl 5/6 perk join a beginner or normal game?

Upvote 0
I join a normal game as L5 commando with my friend who doesn't play KF much. It's because it's his favourite difficulty and i needed some stalkers :eek:

Thats exactly my idea, you could go into normal game with your low level friend and play as a Level 2 Commando. It keeps the game still fun and challenging because your no longer overpowered and you can still level your perks cause all you are doing is playing an easier game mode at a lower level, no different to how you were levelling up on that difficulty before you reached higher levels.

Of course this means you can play with your newbie friends without being the equivelant of a wrecking machine on the ZEDs that can't really die.

If they do add it how do they implent it?

Especially for the trader!?

I would have it so that while you are in the lobby you select your perk as usual and then you can choose what level for that perk you want to play as out of the levels you have unlocked so far. Unless you want to change it in mid game any perk you swap to between waves will be set to the same level too (as long as you have unlocked it)

The trader is unaffected except things are more expensive because your perk bonus is lower along with your lower levels.

The whole point is being able to play a game of normal as a level 0 again or a game of hard as a level 3 again without having to totally reset your perks, like Olivier and a few others have done.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The only problem i see with being able to choose what level perk you are before jumping into a game, is that a very high % will still jump into normal games with level 6...just to grief and show off e-peen ;)

To be honest, you dont need a level 6 perk in normal - they just dont belong, just as a level 1 perk doesnt need to be on suicidal.

To balance the e-peen, if you can now choose the level you play at then if you are playing either

2 levels higer than the party average

and/or

above a set level (2 on easy, 4 on normal)

then there you suffer a FF penalty

The greater of 10%, or double the server normal

That way if 4 new people are learning on a server, and a level 6 comes in and start taking all the kills, they can practice their aiming on the level, and he cannot shoot back.

OR if a level 6 is trying to help a lower level friend, they do still have a challage in avoiding their friend's stray shots, while keeping them alive.

No one is prevented to joining a server at any level, but if you are higher than you should be, the difficulty is increase for that person only

This can also modified for lower levels (0-2) joining suicide, but I think they may be overkill

Upvote 0
I just wanted to create a new about this problem, but found this one.
Now there is another sale discount on the game, so many new gamers will buy it, try it, get wiped, kicked or will fell useless because of some Level 6 guys playing on Beginner or Normal difficulty.
But from the other side, sometimes those Level 6 players sometimes are supposed to play on lower difficulties just because they wish to introduce this game to their newbie friends.

So I suggest to limit max perk level to 3 for Begineer difficulty, 4 for Normal, and 5 - for Hard. To get all bonuses from level 6, player need to play on Suicidal or HoE. Medals upon player heads should remain the same, corresponding to the actual perk level, not the limited one (to distinguish more experienced players). Perk leveling should not be restricted as well.

For example, Level 5 Sharpshooter is playing on Normal difficulty. 5 red stars are displayed in the icon upon his head, but he spawns without a weapon and has Level 4 perk bonuses. But every headshot he makes still counts to his level progression. So he is able go get level 6 by playing on Normal, but to get benefit from it (xbow, 240% headshot dmg etc.) he will need to switch to Suicidal.

Upvote 0
I think the best way to implement this feature is by adding server configuration vars. For example:

bPerkCapEnable 1/0 - turn entire feature on or off (default 1)
PerkCapBeginner 0..6 - perk max level on Beginner difficulty (default 3)
PerkCapNormal 0..6 (default 4)
PerkCapHard 0..6 (default 5)
PerkCapSuicidal 0..6 (default 6)
PerkCapHoE 0..6 (default 6)

So server administrator could make a choice, use this feature on his server or not. Or to be able to make even more challenging game by setting PerkCapHoE to 4.

Upvote 0