• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design plea to mappers, I'm begging you

kingkong

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 26, 2009
would you kindly stop packing custom music into your maps, or at least master them so that the levels are drastically reduced. I know it's a neat way to get around our little music packaging problem, but there is a bug, and I'm assuming this is a bug since it works off of the levels in your general sound config, that plays them at some multiple of your set volume. so even if you got your audio set very low, any time this music is triggered it will BLAST your players to death.

I don't know how this escapes testing, maybe there is some sort of discrepancy between sdk and the actual game that they're just not running into, or just being accepted as is, but yes it is that bad.

what maps do this? anyways unreal will only let you have music (in the map) as an uncompressed raw sound file.

right like fel said some kind of audio override, all I know is there's a way to pack the music within the map where you don't have to download an external ogg, and this is when it does that.

last one I been to that prompted this thread was kf-lockdown, this is the one with all those custom blast doors and the flashing lights. there was some kind of patty remix music that got played instead of the usual final wave music, blasting at max volume. you can turn it down but then it actually uses the effect audio, so then you won't be able to hear anything else. otherwise a decent map, pretty good looking as well.

Upvote 0
That's not a bug. He used the music as a sound, like you would the the rattling of heavy machinery or the creaking of a door or something except it's music. Of course this uses the effect slider, not the music slider.

Which is why this shouldn't be done!
Music HAS to be distributed as .ogg files. There is no way around it that isn't (potentially) annoying to the end-user.

Upvote 0
right like fel said some kind of audio override, all I know is there's a way to pack the music within the map where you don't have to download an external ogg, and this is when it does that.

last one I been to that prompted this thread was kf-lockdown, this is the one with all those custom blast doors and the flashing lights. there was some kind of patty remix music that got played instead of the usual final wave music, blasting at max volume. you can turn it down but then it actually uses the effect audio, so then you won't be able to hear anything else. otherwise a decent map, pretty good looking as well.

Like Murphy said, he used it as a sound, not music file. Which means you cant turn it down on the options without turning down the game sound effects aswell..

And Id recommend you to download all your maps elsewhere rather than from the servers.

BTW, Murphy, do you have any idea that IF I have custom music in my map but it cant find the music file specified, will it start playing default music or will it just be silent? Id guess the last one but just wondering if I could include custom music in my maps but make it optional to use them. So, who ever wants to hear the custom music they can download it separately but the ones who dont rly care about it can decide not to use them but will still hear the default music.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
They need to update the editor so we can save music to MyLevel.

If the player does not have the file directly downlaoded and installed onto his computer, then they will not be able to hear it.

So i propose this to TW

Please....PLEASE!!!!! make it so we can save music to MyLevel

Im going to (along with Blat) be making an entire soundtrack for my next lvl, and it would be nice if anyone can hear it. :D

Upvote 0
They need to update the editor so we can save music to MyLevel.

If the player does not have the file directly downlaoded and installed onto his computer, then they will not be able to hear it.

So i propose this to TW

Please....PLEASE!!!!! make it so we can save music to MyLevel

Im going to (along with Blat) be making an entire soundtrack for my next lvl, and it would be nice if anyone can hear it. :D

what does my level do? i have just been making new pakages for my imported stuff, should i not have?

Upvote 0
I think we've been over this before. UE2 doesn't support importing of binaries. If it did, music would need to be a conformed package, meaning a mandatory package and modifying it would cause a version mismatch online.
One option would be putting the map on an index that encouraged downloading and browsing (not a Rapidshare link...) and could be easily found by several means (not just by these forums). Other communities have been doing this for years and the benefits really show when you're able to find content for games a decade (or more) old.

I don't understand why Rapidshare/Megaupload/etc are used so frequently here. It just seems like a big FU from authors to anyone that actually wants to find their content.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I never tried that. My guess would be silent, but I don't know. Maybe someone else has experience with this.

EDIT: If it's silent, maybe we could beg TWI into adding an option for "fallback music"?

Fallback music feature would be awesome, because I love playing around with custom music BUT I dont want to force anyone to listen to it if they dont like it or dont want to download additional music files.

Any idea what 2 music triggers would do?

Upvote 0