• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design What is the process for whitelisting?

I haven't heard TWI say that, its a real mystery eh? I will say this much - I believe it was originally introduced because any map was automatically perkable, and then there came out level farming maps. So originally the whitelisting process was just to quickly make sure it wasn't a levelling map, then they give it the thumbs up. My belief is that at the time they did not worry about things like "is there a bottleneck or pathing issue that makes this map super easy". They may have had some philosophy like "each to his own".

However, as time has gone on and those really awful but easy maps became super popular, TWI started jumping awake in the middle of the night screaming "NO NO NO textures from 1994!".They sat around and said they really hate the way lame custom maps have murdered their game and its hardcore player base. So, and this is the only part I'm not %100 sure about, about 2 TWI staff decided to take some responsibility for getting crap maps off the list. Only problem is, their decision comes down to how they feel on the day, with no written or publicly available criteria.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
recently we tested 9 already whitelisted maps and managed to find exploits on nearly every one.

this tells me that TWI does very minimal testing. but can you blame them? they're working on the KF update and HOS.

if they thoroughly tested every single map waiting to be whitelisted, they'd never have any time to do anything else.

basically what they test for is to see if it's a blatant leveling map, that's about it.

Upvote 0
recently we tested 9 already whitelisted maps and managed to find exploits on nearly every one.

this tells me that TWI does very minimal testing. but can you blame them? they're working on the KF update and HOS.

if they thoroughly tested every single map waiting to be whitelisted, they'd never have any time to do anything else.

basically what they test for is to see if it's a blatant leveling map, that's about it.

That's why they need a real community based team that does the work for them when it comes to whitelisting, some people that enjoy playing Killing Floor all day long, trying out every map and trying to find glitches and exploits. A team like that would be great.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
That's why I was wondering, especially because it said they test whitelisted maps, not maps that are beeing looked on getting whitelisted.

we do both. but our primary focus (right now) is weeding out the currently offending maps out of the whitelist to make it a truly pure collection of fun, non-exploitable maps.
we test groups of them at a time and then submit our results in bulk to the admins

Upvote 0
are you guys currently testing the maps in the whitelist submission thread or still going through the currently whitelisted maps?

We are doing both, so far we've only done a few already in the whitelist, but we were planning to try out the ones waiting for approval today. We should have started out already but no-one seems to be online...

Upvote 0
We are doing both, so far we've only done a few already in the whitelist, but we were planning to try out the ones waiting for approval today. We should have started out already but no-one seems to be online...

Do you guys actually intensively test the maps? I found tons of glitches on every map, on the Doom 2 map for example you can stuck urself up in the door and no clot can ever touch you, fun farming with Clot Buster, you can sit outside on Suicidal and farm the whole game with a Crossbow because the specimen tend to get stuck in the door, you can just plant pipes across the map and do nothing on Poundamonium, you will get tons of cash and they won't ever touch you, etc. Found all that stuff in 2 hours of playing the map.

Upvote 0
Do you guys actually intensively test the maps? I found tons of glitches on every map, on the Doom 2 map for example you can stuck urself up in the door and no clot can ever touch you, fun farming with Clot Buster, you can sit outside on Suicidal and farm the whole game with a Crossbow because the specimen tend to get stuck in the door, you can just plant pipes across the map and do nothing on Poundamonium, you will get tons of cash and they won't ever touch you, etc. Found all that stuff in 2 hours of playing the map.

so far yes we have found at least one exploit in pretty much every map we've tested. save for maybe arcade station fin.

and doom 2 is littered with exploits. im not surprised.

if you'd like to help out with our testing sessions, go here:

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/group.php?groupid=32http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/group.php?groupid=32

and post your steam name in the appropriate url after i approve your invitation.

Upvote 0
so far yes we have found at least one exploit in pretty much every map we've tested. save for maybe arcade station fin.

and doom 2 is littered with exploits. im not surprised.

if you'd like to help out with our testing sessions, go here:

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/group.php?groupid=32http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/group.php?groupid=32

and post your steam name in the appropriate url after i approve your invitation.

Why are these maps getting whitelisted if they have exploits? Shouldn't they get fixed first? Also I doubt I will join the group but I might report some big exploits now and then to prevent abuse. : P

Upvote 0
Why are these maps getting whitelisted if they have exploits? Shouldn't they get fixed first? Also I doubt I will join the group but I might report some big exploits now and then to prevent abuse. : P

TWI doesn't have time to do the ultra-thorough testing that we do. they test to see if it's a blatant leveling map and whether or not it works.

that's the only reason I put this group together. the maps with exploits that are currently on the whitelist just didn't get tested thoroughly enough and have managed to slip by without anyone reporting them or knowing how to report them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
TWI doesn't have time to do the ultra-thorough testing that we do. they test to see if it's a blatant leveling map and whether or not it works.

that's the only reason I put this group together. the maps with exploits that are currently on the whitelist just didn't get tested thoroughly enough and have managed to slip by without anyone reporting them or knowing how to report them.

Another question would be does TWI remove the maps if they have major exploits?

Upvote 0