• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Various suggestions from {Core}Metalhead

Snipers are used for aimed fire to directly kill the opponent. So the biggest chance would be if a sniper was shooting at me I would instantly be dead never knowing he was there. If the snipers were within my possible range to kill them I would probably try and kill them (especially as I probably wouldn't be able to see if they had a scope or not).

In case of an MG, I would get so many bullets flying over my head, I'd get a small version of a panic stroke even though it would not be the most rational thing to get. And as long as that fire would go on near you, I've heard people describe it as feeling of being on the absolute edge of death.

Soldiers are trained to overcome this afaik to still be able to function, however you will never perform as well as if you were on the shooting range. Making it that suppression at the least makes it hard to return fire to the sender.

--------

But in reality if I was put in Stalingrad in reality suddenly with either a pair of snipers or an mg firing at me that I would probably freeze up in fear. And if I were standing it could be that I would just stand still rather than hit the dirt.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes, because every time a sniper fires he gets a kill. Always.

Take a rifleman, I suppose they miss every other shot?

What's the difference? Optics. The rifles are identical. Within 100 meters shooting someone is no problem at all, scope or no scope, granted at 1680x1050 with 4xAA, but you get the point.

If the snipers were within my possible range to kill them I would probably try and kill them (especially as I probably wouldn't be able to see if they had a scope or not).

Ot oh, so much for suppression.

Upvote 0
Its not that every time that a sniper fires he gets a kill. But he cannot continuously send bullets flying over your head. Which is what causes the effect of suppression from suppressive fire.

Bolt action rifles, are optimized for accuracy and shooting to kill, and not for suppressing enemies. And because of that have rather limited capability in suppressing enemy soldiers.

Suppressive fire only lasts for as long as you put bullets near to the enemy enemy, so every time you rebolt your rifle after a shot or reload your weapon you are a potential target for the enemy as at those moments he is not suppressed. This causes bolt action rifles to be less good for suppression (although within fire teams you can still do really well).

The MG42 on the other hand, fires at 1200 rounds per minute or 20 rounds per second. A speed at which the human hearing blends the bullet sounds together into 1 big sound depicted as the sound of a saw or the ripping of clothes. Which brings a continuous stream passing over a target, and renders the target useless for the duration the bullets fly over his head. If you want to make a gun better in hitting targets you would lower the rate of fire so the accuracy goes up, but the dispersion of bullets rather than shooting in the exact same spot every time is actually preferable with suppressive fire.

How effective suppressive fire is depends on how many bullets get close to you every second. What the chance is of actually hitting you is off less of an importance to the suppressive effect. As suppression is a natural automatic response and not a rational response based on what chance is of actually a bullet hitting you, 1 bullet from a rifle will have the same effect as 1 bullet from an mg.

The difference between a sniper and regular rifleman is skill. A soldier knowing he's taking it up against a highly decorated sniper, will give up quicker and keep his head down and pretty much not go up again. Especially if a sniper kills a lot of friends and other soldiers around you. This is a form of suppression however is not suppressive fire. This kind of fear is based on morale, which is a different discussion, where the reaction differ a lot more from soldiers than with suppressive fire which generally creates a similar response to all soldiers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Its not that every time that a sniper fires he gets a kill. But he cannot continuously send bullets flying over your head. Which is what causes the effect of suppression from suppressive fire.

So it's continually flying bullets....OVER someone's head? How is that even remotely deadly or threatening? How does it cause it? MECHANISM, Zetsumei, explain it, please.

Bolt action rifles, are optimized for accuracy and shooting to kill, and not for suppressing enemies. And because of that have rather limited capability in suppressing enemy soldiers.

Bolt action rifles are not optimized for accuracy, not in the period we're talking about, anyway. Bolt actions were optimized for rate of fire.

You have to understand, the first bolt action, the Dreyse needle rifle, was a substantial improvement over muzzle loaders, even though it was single shot. And its successor, the Gewehr 98, was seen as a significant improvement because it had an internal magazine and was seen as more competitive to lever-action repeating rifles of the day.

It's purely incidental that they maintain a high degree of accuracy. Effectively, the bolt action/lever action were the greatest rate of fire attainable before you start degrading accuracy by the automatic action.

I'm sure the Winchester was seen as an utter monstrosity back in the day, same as the reputation six-shooting revolvers did when they were introduced.

A hint can be found in the use of the Lee Enfield, which was used in large quantities by lines of riflemen who would practice the "Mad Minute," an attempt to fire 30 rounds in 60 seconds if I recall right, and many soldiers could achieve that, and many more could surpass it.

Also, look at muskets. Incredibly poor accuracy, incredibly poor rate of fire, but they attempted to compensate for that with volleys.

Interestingly, it's actually the United States, which was on the cutting edge of semi action/carbine development in WWII, which was so obsessive compulsive about accuracy leading all the way up through Vietnam.

Suppressive fire only lasts for as long as you put bullets near to the enemy enemy, so every time you rebolt your rifle after a shot or reload your weapon you are a potential target for the enemy as at those moments he is not suppressed. So indeed bolt action rifles are far from ideal for suppressive fire.
Well, to the extent that he can seek you and aim in that period, but you have to consider the fact that the follow up shot is going to burn through your face.

The MG42 on the other hand, fires at 1200 rounds per minute or 20 rounds per second. A speed at which the human hearing blends the bullet sounds together into 1 big sound depicted as the sound of a saw or the ripping of clothes. Which brings a continuous stream passing over a target, and renders the target useless for the duration the bullets fly over his head. If you want to make a gun better in hitting targets you would lower the rate of fire so the accuracy goes up, but the dispersion of bullets rather than shooting in the exact same spot every time is actually preferable with suppressive fire.
Then I guess you were blowing smoke up my *** when you told me it was "aimed fire." Clearly the grouping doesn't matter.

And clearly you were blowing smoke up my *** when you told me it was dependent on the actual threat and the fear of death.

Okay, so we've gotten to the point where I can actually narrow down possibilities here. The suppression effect is dependent on a wall of bullets flying towards you making you drop because you are afraid of dying due to nearly every location you could possibly enter up at being immediately peppered by fire. It has virtually nothing to do with accuracy, and is completely dependent on volume of fire.

Am I getting warmer here?

And yet this is opposed to what actually suppresses me in ost. Accurate fire suppresses me. Volume of fire makes me see an opportunity, because for precisely the reasons that you mentioned, it indicates a loose grouping and thus increased chances of survival in the engagement.

The difference between a sniper and regular rifleman is skill. A soldier knowing he's taking it up against a highly decorated sniper, will give up quicker and keep his head down and pretty much not go up again.
Sure. But give a sniper a rifle. Simo Hayha, Vasili Zaitsev....both used a standard Mosin Nagant and melted people's faces with them. As long as the weapon achieves the same factory standards and the same grouping, and you have the same rifleman, he'll do just as well.

For instance, me....notice, constant shooter. I find that the only difference between a sniper rifle and a normal rifle is optics. The function is the same, the grouping (in ost, not necessarily in real life), is the same.

Especially if a sniper kills a lot of friends and other soldiers around you. This is a form of suppression however is not suppressive fire. This kind of fear is based on morale, which is a different discussion, where the reaction differ a lot more from soldiers than with suppressive fire which generally creates a similar response to all soldiers.
Fear=fear

Seeking Cover=seeking cover

Seems like you're splitting hairs here, the effects and the reaction are exactly the same, the only thing that's different is the volume of fire. I suggest that you're avoiding calling this suppression because it hurts your case. This is why I've been pushing the point so hard.

Your argument at this point is getting close to merely arguing over semantics, which of course does not matter.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So you stand in front of an MG firing at fully automatic? I can only imagine how good your kill-death ratio is.
Please keep discussion clean from trolling.
I said "I always try to kill him". Do you think its easy to kill MG by standing in front of it? Or is it what you do when trying to kill MG?

Do not ask questions you can answer by yourself.

VariousNames said:
I don't "fear" respawning in the sense that I am afraid of it happening as a threat on my life, I fear it insofar as it brings me closer to an in-game loss.
People Fear it in RL. You don't Fear it in RO. Thats the difference.
This difference affects on what you do in game.
Means in game, people go for unjustified risk to do a kill. And this is unrealistic.

VariousNames said:
This is nonsense. Release of adrenaline is proportionate to the level of the threat, not proportionate to the number of bullets in the air.
You just lost relation between cause and effect.
Threat - effect. Bullets - cause of that effect.
More bullets - more effect.
If it will be simpler for you:
You go on a street. 1 stone landed in 1 meter from you. Your threat is low.
20 stones landing near you. Your threat is higher.
Actually threat is a subjective feeling of a human.
Sniper can be 5000% more precise and provide more real threat to a soldier, than random MG fire. BUT subjectively soldier feels under bigger threat if he is under MG fire.

VariousNames said:
OH, so what we're talking about is not the numerous times in history in which people stood or charged in the midst of an enormous volume of fire (this is evidence of suppression how?)....

Bingo! But you asking questions which were already answered.
As Zets and me already said, when you charging, fear of death (and adrenaline) affects on your run speed and on direction of your movement.
As you said, suppression is when you think you're going to die if you keep your head up.
So how you expect an evidence of suppression when someone is charged?
WHY you need that evidence?
Let's keep our discussion in topic:
Effect of suppression on a soldier with a high level of concealment at medium-long range.

VariousNames said:
What we're talking about is people under a high level of concealment at long range? I already told you this, for godsakes. Maybe you could do yourself a favor and read my posts.

You told it and continue to debate about suppression effect on someone who is charging? Strange from your side.

VariousNames said:
My point still stands on this basis that anybody charging into machine gun fire or standing still in the middle of a musket volley exchange in oldschool 18th century warfare is going to be significantly more threatened with death than someone at nearly full concealment against a machine gun at long distances.

Read again your posts regarding the subject.
Your point is NOT VALID. Since we are not talking about CHARGING.
WE already ANSWERED you, that person who is charging is NOT affected by suppression.
Why? Because he has fear or Fear, but effect if this fear is small, because he is already charging, but not aiming carefully on someone at long distance.
If his hands are shaking because of fear, it not disturbing him to run.
Fear is even helping him, since his speed is increased.

Upvote 0
Let me put it this way, Zetsumei. What do you find as more likely to make you drop behind cover, I mean full concealment.

Three snipers with a bead on your exact location firing consecutively at you...

Or one machine gunner spray and praying at your general location and missing every single shot?

So MG is missing every single shot but snipers.... ?
Hitting every single shot?
I must say Zets has no chance to drop himself behind a cover in first case.

But in general, during a battle, with a lot of noise, and expecting that these three snipers are missing, then, I believe, he will hide faster under MG fire, than from sniper fire. Because how could he know if they are snipers? If they miss - he got few seconds to hide.

Upvote 0
OMG, this thread is still not done. :eek:

Bolt action rifles are not optimized for accuracy, not in the period we're talking about, anyway.
Bolt actions were optimized for rate of fire.

I'm sure the Winchester was seen as an utter monstrosity back in the day

I think you are completly wrong here - Bolt action were optimized for accuracy.
Because if they were optimized for rate of fire why didnt they take Winchester style lever action instead? :confused:

Plz enlight me, Various.

Upvote 0
Accurate fire suppresses me.
I must say accurate fire kills you :)
Or its not really accurate fire.
But if you are behind a cover, and under Rifleman shot - are you suppressed (not shooting back) by single shot?
After first enemy shot you will expose yourself in try to spot who is shooting you to kill him.
If you are under MG fire, you probably will not expose yourself, until MG stops to fire at you.

Problem is, most people in RO are trying to kill MGunner even if they are in extreme danger. If they have (subjectively) 10% of chances to kill MGunner - they will go for it.
This is completely unrealistic.
In RL you need something like 80%, if you are not kamikaze.

Upvote 0
Problem is, most people in RO are trying to kill MGunner even if they are in extreme danger. If they have (subjectively) 10% of chances to kill MGunner - they will go for it.
This is completely unrealistic.
In RL you need something like 80%, if you are not kamikaze.
/sarcasm
Yeah, when we were pinned down by MG fire in the bush, we pulled out our slide rules and calculated our individual chance of survival. If it wasn't 75% or better and if we didn't radio in for an air strike, we would let our buddies or another fire team do the dirty work until our survival chances rose to 80%. (There weren't pocket calcuators in my day, so we were issued pocket slide rules for such occassions). If the other fire teams couldn't muster up 80%, we all just dug a hole and tried to become invisible until Charlie ran out of ammo. /end sarcasm

One's initial reaction may be to dive for cover. However, after assessing the situation, one does what ever is necessary to save each others asses. That was one of my problems with DH's suppression fire system. If an MG locked down on you, you were "forever" "suppressed". No chance to suck it up, so to speak. (I haven't played DH in a while, it may have changed.)

Many a fire fight was won or lost by the actions of a single soldier.

Upvote 0
Because if they were optimized for rate of fire why didnt they take Winchester style lever action instead? :confused:

Plz enlight me, Various.

well, he's particially right. you ever tried to reload a winchester? the reload time is much longer than with a bolt action clip-fed rifle. meaning the k98 will have more shots per minute than the standard 1873 or 1894 tube-fed winchester.....just think of the 10 shot enfield. the bolting/lever speed is about the same for each style. it's the initial loading that made the difference.

but yes, bolt action rifles were also optimized for accuracy. they could house more aerodynamic, pointed spitzer bullets whereas the winchesters still used the old fashioned, rounded pistol rounds.

One's initial reaction may be to dive for cover. However, after assessing the situation, one does what ever is necessary to save each others asses. That was one of my problems with DH's suppression fire system. If an MG locked down on you, you were "forever" "suppressed". No chance to suck it up, so to speak. (I haven't played DH in a while, it may have changed.)

exactly my feelings as well floyd. also i think the feelings of Various. was just playing some DH last night and as some mg34 was "surpressing" my window, he literally fired an entire drum of ammo, not hitting me once, all the while i sat in that window without ducking back into more cover. why? because i assessed that he was too far away to accurately put a shot on me. because of that i did not fear his shooting and made the judgement to try and return fire and eliminate the target. could i hit him though? sure, but it took 6 shots from an m1 because the forced weapon sway and blur hindered my accuracy. thing is i had no cognitive feeling of fear in that instance because i felt the chances of him actually killing me was pretty low. the game forced my avatar to experience "fear" that i as the human controller did not feel. now, if there was bullet penetration (which HOS will have) and those rounds were going through the wall and hitting me, i'd be less inclined to peek out the window and expose my position. my assessment in that case would have been different, i would be more fearful and i'd not risk my life. of course if i was instead lying on the ground possibly taking cover behind a dead cow or horse?? bullets aren't going to penetrate through those objects quite as much, so maybe i'd be more willing to take the risk to shoot in that situation.

regardless of the situation, an unrealisticly forced effect on my avatar to replicate a feeling that i am not experiencing is not realistic and should not be in the game.

Upvote 0
OMG, this thread is still not done. :eek:

Plz enlight me, Various.

If you insist.

YouTube - Mauser Gewehr 98 Rifle History

2:25

To quote:

"Ultimately, Mauser's innovations had two advantages over the Winchester: the first was its quicker loading system, featuring a clip holding 5 cartridges. The second was that a soldier could now lie in a prone position to fire."

Also, from Wiki (this is common sense, don't worry):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lever-action

"lever-action firearms are also generally fed from a tubular magazine, which limits the ammunition that can be used in them. Pointed center fire Spitzer bullets, for example, can cause explosions in a tubular magazine, as the point of each cartridge's projectile rests on the primer of the next cartridge in the magazine (soft-tipped Hornady ammunition made for tube-fed rifles avoids this problem). The tubular magazine may also have a negative impact on the harmonics of the barrel, which limits the theoretical accuracy of the rifle. A tubular magazine under the barrel also pushes the center of gravity forward, which alters the balance of the rifle in ways that is undesirable to some shooters."

Bolt action rifles were never optimized for accuracy, at least to the extent that the mechanism was involved in the innovation. It was merely intended as a breach loading mechanism. A side effect of manual extracting is that it tends to be more accurate because it has less moving parts. The only parts moving during the actual firing of the weapon is the firing pin. This is only incidental.

As a matter of fact if it were not for innovations that came earlier, like rifled bores and breach loading, full metal jacket brass cartridges....the Mauser wouldn't be accurate at all.

The biggest innovations were the stripper loading system, the 5 round internal mag, and the bolt system, each of which are more or less irrelevant to accuracy (a singlefeed could achieve the same thing).

but yes, bolt action rifles were also optimized for accuracy. they could house more aerodynamic, pointed spitzer bullets whereas the winchesters still used the old fashioned, rounded pistol rounds.

Incidentally, the development of the Mauser preceded the spitzer bullet, and the original Mauser bolt action rifle was single shot, so it's adoption was taken apart from the fact.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
please keep discussion clean from trolling.
I said "i always try to kill him". Do you think its easy to kill mg by standing in front of it? Or is it what you do when trying to kill mg?

You dive behind cover, no?

It's as easy to kill an MG by standing in front of it as it is behind cover. Aim and fire. Only problem is you'll get peppered. Behind cover, assuming his spread is large enough or his accuracy bad enough, you're in the clear.

People fear it in rl. You don't fear it in ro. Thats the difference.
This difference affects on what you do in game.
People fear it irl....I will not contest this. People fear it more than any other weapon in battle? This I contest. Where is your evidence?

Means in game, people go for unjustified risk to do a kill. And this is unrealistic.
You mean like poking your head up to spot and engage a sniper you know already has a bead on you from an unspecified location at an unspecified distance?

You just lost relation between cause and effect.
Threat - effect. Bullets - cause of that effect.
Bullets are not threatening. As Zets said, friendly fire from adjacent to you doesn't and shouldn't bother you. It's all dependent on the cone of fire. The cone of fire first has to encompass your position. Second, it's threat level is contingent upon the tightness of the cone.
More bullets - more effect.
Negative. It is not the case that just because there are more bullets that they automatically become more threatening. Case in point, MG laying prone adjacent to you firing 9000 rounds ahead of you. Not threatening. You must first be in the cone of fire and the level of threat is proportional to the tightness of the cone, in other words, spread is important.

Actually threat is a subjective feeling of a human.
How dare you tell me that you are justified in the imposition of a universal control mechanism for the result of a SUBJECTIVE feeling?

Sniper can be 5000% more precise and provide more real threat to a soldier, than random mg fire. But subjectively soldier feels under bigger threat if he is under mg fire.
Subjectivity means that it is not universal, ergo you cannot tell me that because one soldier subjectively feels a certain way when subjected under certain stimuli that all soldiers will feel that way.

I also submit to you that it is a bad idea to commit someone to a universal effect if we are intending to simulate a subjective phenomenon.

Bingo! But you asking questions which were already answered.
As zets and me already said,
IMO you should let zetsumei handle this

when you charging, fear of death (and adrenaline) affects on your run speed and on direction of your movement.
As you said, suppression is when you think you're going to die if you keep your head up.
So the immediate effect of fear is not to seek cover? It's to charge QUICKLY! into gunfire? I fail to see how this supports the notion of "suppression." People running into gunfire is not my idea of suppression.

You're missing the point, the threat level is far more substantial when your entire body is exposed because you're a bigger target versus when you're a head poking out between some sandbags at 100+m.

So how you expect an evidence of suppression when someone is charged?
Why you need that evidence?
Let's keep our discussion in topic:
effect of suppression on a soldier with a high level of concealment at medium-long range.
I brought it up just to indicate how ridiculous the notion that all men hide under a sandbag because an MG is firing in their general direction is. Concede the point and you won't hear about it again.

you told it and continue to debate about suppression effect on someone who is charging? Strange from your side.
I done tolds it because anyone can see people in Ost don't behave that way (charging into MG fire). In effect, it seems people in Ost act more rationally and with a greater degree of trepidation than people did in history?

Read again your posts regarding the subject.
Your point is not valid. Since we are not talking about charging.
We already answered you, that person who is charging is not affected by suppression.
Why? Because he has fear or fear, but effect if this fear is small, because he is already charging, but not aiming carefully on someone at long distance.
Well. I'm gonna have to say that this last bit is fairly....interesting.

Dude who's getting hosed with MG fire and is going to die is not suppressed, but dude behind a sandbag finds cover completely necessary.

Clearly the objective on your part is to impart on players a feeling of futility in the face of machine gun fire RATHER than a desire on the part of players to seek cover under fire. In order to be consistent in this regard you would have to concede to me that it is rational for someone to seek cover and take aim instead of charging into a machine gun, which is when those weapons truly become combat effective.

But anyway, I think now's a good time to remember the heroic Zulu nation, who charged bravely into machine guns and were torn to shreds as a result of their glorious bravery and helpful adrenaline.

Upvote 0
VariousNames, I do not know the exact mechanism inside a humans brain which triggers the response that makes suppressive fire work in making people incapable of firing back, however I do know that it works (or if it wouldn't why would it be so prominently used in pretty much all forms of infantry tactics).

Suppressive fire was not something thought out and then implemented, it's an effect that was found out during actual combat, that soon all countries started to use as their driving force for tactical engagements.

The army often utilizes something called area fire, if that wouldn't suppress why would they do this, as the chance of actually hitting and killing someone is low, if you want to kill an individual soldier point fire would be much more effective:

Two ways to cover a target with direct fire are point fire and area fire.

Point fire is fire directed at one point; for example, an entire fire team or squad shooting at one bunker.

Area fire is fire that covers an area laterally and in depth. If a squad leader wants fire on a woodline, tracers may be fired to mark the center of the target. Men to his left fire left of the tracers, and men to his right fire right of the tracers.
figC-1.gif

Definition of suppressive fire:
Suppressive Fire. Suppressive fire is fire directed at the enemy to keep him from seeing, tracking, or firing at a target. It can be direct or indirect fire. Suppressive fire can also be smoke, placed on or near the enemy, that keeps him from seeing targets.

a) Suppression limits the ability of personnel in the target area to perform their jobs. However, the effects of suppressive fire last only as long as the fires continue.

7-10. SUPPRESSIVE FIRE

In many tactical situations, combat rifle fire will be directed to suppress enemy personnel or weapons positions. Suppressive fire is rifle fire precisely aimed at a definite point or area target. Some situations may require a soldier to place suppressive fire into a wide area such as a wood line, hedgerow, or small building while, at other times, the target may be a bunker or window. Suppressive fire is used to control the enemy and the area he occupies. It is employed to kill the enemy or to prevent him from observing the battlefield or effectively using his weapons. When a sustained volume of accurate suppressive fire is placed on enemy locations to contain him, it can be effective even though he cannot be seen. Effectively pinning the enemy down behind cover reduces his ability to deliver fire and allows friendly forces to move. (Figure 7-12 shows the current training program for suppressive fire.)

fig7_12.jpg

Figure 7-12. Suppressive fire training program.​

a. Nature of the Target. Many soldiers have difficulty delivering effective suppressive fire when they cannot see a definite target. They must fire at likely locations or in a general area where the enemy is known to exist. Even though definite targets cannot be seen, most suppressive fire should be well aimed. Figure 7-13 shows a landscape target suitable for suppressive fire training. When this type of target is used, trainers must develop a firing program to include areas of engagement and designated target areas be credited as sustained effective suppressive fire. At 25 meters, this target provides the firer an area to suppress without definite targets to engage.

image1677.jpg

Figure 7-13. Landscape target.​

b. Point of Aim. Suppressive fire should be well-aimed, sustained, semiautomatic fire. Although lacking a definite target, the soldier must be taught to control and accurately deliver fire within the limits of the suppressed area. The sights are used as when engaging a point-type target with the front sight post placed so each shot impacts within the desired area (window, firing portal, tree line).

c. Rate of Fire. During most phases of live fire (grouping, zeroing, qualifying), shots are delivered using the slow semiautomatic rate of fire (one round every 3 to 10 seconds). During training, this allows a slow and precise application of the fundamentals. Successful suppressive fire requires that a faster but sustained rate of fire be used. Firing full automatic or bursts (13 rounds per second) for a few seconds may sometimes be necessary to gain initial fire superiority. Rapid semiautomatic fire (one round every one or two seconds) allows the firer to sustain a large volume of accurate fire while conserving ammunition. The tactical situation dictates the most useful rate of fire, but the following must be considered:

(1) Applying Fundamentals. As the stress of combat increases, some soldiers may fail to apply the fundamentals of marksmanship. This factor contributes to soldiers firing less accurately and without obtaining the intended results. While some modifications are appropriate, the basic fundamentals should be applied and emphasized regardless of the rate of fire or combat stress. Strategies to enhance marksmanship skills during combat stress include shooting prone as opposed to standing, and providing a high carbohydrate and or moderate sodium diet. Factors that contribute to combat stress are:

(a) Environmental. Environmental stressors have been shown to degrade marksmanship accuracy up to 20 percent. Such stressors include heat and altitude.

(b) Operational. Operational stressors have been shown to degrade marksmanship accuracy from 17 percent to 136 percent. Such stressors include MOPP gear; tasks that require carrying rucksacks, litter patients, and other equipment on the body; and sleep deprivation.

(2) Making Rapid Magazine Changes. One of the keys to sustained suppressive fire is reloading the rifle rapidly. Rapid magazine changes must be correctly taught and practiced during dry-fire and live-fire exercises until the soldier becomes proficient. Small-unit training exercises must be conducted so soldiers who are providing suppressive fire practice magazine changes that are staggered. Firing is, therefore, controlled and coordinated so that a continuous volume of accurate suppressive fire is delivered to the target area.

(3) Conserving Ammunition. Automatic or burst fire should be used sparingly and only to gain initial fire superiority. Depending on the tactical situation, the rate of fire should be adjusted so that a minimum number of rounds are expended. Accurate fire conserves ammunition, while preventing the enemy from placing effective fire on friendly positions.

Look at the ranges of the M60 as well:
FigG-3.gif

As you would expect an area target can be done at much longer range, but why would they bother to note down area fire, as the chances of hitting something remains pretty low.

So basically, if suppression depends primarily of the chance of hitting the enemy, why does suppressive fire include area fire and firing at targets that cannot be seen at all. Why would the American army do that, as in your opinion its just wasting bullets.

If rate of fire doesn't matter for suppressive fire why are soldiers told to increase their rate of fire to initially to gain a dominance of the area. And adapt the rof depending on the situation?

Why does the Red Orchestra History and Tactics guide (based on real world tactics and different literature on the issue), as tactic against enemies in bunkers (strongly fortified positions), or trenches note these tactics. Why would they use suppressive fire if in those situations as according to you, its pretty much impossible suppress someone that is nearly fully concealed like in a trench or bunker.

d25ee39fdd994ae4b440ab9e69af78ae.jpg

1bb40b7b9ce29e36a620ad91f459c41a.jpg

(All information I quoted can be found at www.globalsecurity.org or the red orchestra history and tactics guide, and there are many more sources).

So all that I want, is that those real world tactics can be applied in the game with the same effect as in real life, and that things like firing for effect actually got any effect.

Last edited:
Reactions: Erich
Upvote 0
The army often utilizes something called area fire, why would they do this, as the chance of actually hitting and killing someone is low, if you want to kill an individual soldier point fire would be much more effective:
FigG-3.gif

Ranges at which a 50-50 chance of a target hit can be expected (shooting bursts of 6-9 rounds) [...] an area target is an area of the size that a fire team would occupy
According to your source there is a reasonable expectation of a 50% chance of a kill per burst. Why? Because according to your source we're talking specifically about instances in which an entire fireteam occupies a small area...hose the area and the idea is that you catch one of the soldiers.

If your definition of a "low" kill chance is a 50% per 6-9 round burst at 800 meters.....interesting.

I can't respond to the rest right now. Great post Zetsumei.

Upvote 0
In case of an area target, a target hit means the bullet landing within the designated area. So this is not the same as obtaining a kill. Because as you could see the range for 50-50 hitting an area the size of a standing person (point target) was 600 meters, so at 800 or 1100 meters logically the chance to hit/kill a standing person wouldn't stay the same.

In the picture they forgot the second greystar (**) behind Area Target for bipod. You can see that they didn't mean a Point target as that one was already named for 600 meters (for both bipod and tripod). So a point target is a target the size of standing man, and an area target is of the size that a fire team would occupy.

What I tried to show with the picture of the M60 is that area fire is truly fire aimed at an area, and not aimed separately at individuals within an area (because then the max-range where someone could hit an area target wouldn't be higher than a point target). So when area fire is utilized by soldiers, the chance of hitting an actual person and especially someone concealed in a bunker is pretty slim. Yet specifically in the beginning of section 7-10 a bunker is actually used as an example for suppressive fire at an area target.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i would post something but most of comments here falls into this category :)

http://xkcd.com/386/

got over-talked, so in short , if You want suppressive fire into game

1. Obscured vision
while being pounded by hundred(s) to thousand(s) bullets / minute
there will wall of steel kicking up tons of dust, dirt/sand and pieces of everything it hits
not to mention bullets passing very close to your head :)

Ingame :
Screen Blur,darken,grey,dizzy,grain,ghosting,tunel vision,partial 'hom'
as w/e filter or effect on screen...don't forget worse focus in scopes
ofcourse there are these effects from bullets impacts on material hits unrelated to above.

2. Decrease in aim precision
(nerves (instinct to get into cover), concentration, breathing, close by bullets, sparks of fragments/dirt,dust etc.)

Ingame:
Probably by breathing, increasing gun sway into all direction, scopes lot shaky, multiply if not supported position

3. Temporary deafness , unable pinpoint sounds
due to close by hits or supersonic cracks or subsonic whiz close misses (nausea/headache)

Ingame:
Only loud effects (bullet cracks/whiz, explosions and heavy guns fire hear-able)
Drop Surround to Stereo or even to Mono ... some echoing ...
The more close-by and the longer exposed to suppressive barrage the longer effect lasts ...

4. Slower reactions/actions
... being suppressed continuously for some time has negative impact ...

Ingame :
Slower to reload, stand up, raise Iron Sights, turn around (wider angle only), climb etc.

5. Stress
by prolonged or extreme suppressive fire barrage
example :
While reloading rifle clip you loose that clip (drops out of hand and fall on ground , You take out another (faster than pickup)

Ingame :
should be rare and more like 'immersion' wow moment "i'm so screwed" than often happening event to avoid player frustration

... guess this should be enough for today :D ...

Last edited:
Upvote 0