• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Epic music

PETERPANs

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 10, 2009
You know music its that thing you can remember for years. Also it can launch several emotions and feelings. Lot of very good films are good not only by scenes but also by music. Same rule is applied for games. Very good soundtracks, theme music are still in playlists of players. For example I started to play Diablo II due to music. Of course RO is not RPG but there should be more than nice soundtrack.

There is also rich source of russian choir music traditions, something like red army choir. German side have also something to offer. In conclusion I think that music is important key to advertise game itself. Lets hope to hear epic music while we playing RO HOS.

EXAMPLE:
YouTube - Partisan Song | Canción de los Partisanos

Last edited:
Reactions: NoxNoctum
It would be fun if at grammophone tables in the game you can pick some soviet music to play on it. As a little easteregg. The music is great and isn't copyrighted, so in that sense it would feel like waste to leave it out. http://www.sovmusic.ru/english/index.php

Personally i don't care much for music during gameplay, especially for music to work well to gameplay it should change to the mood.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I doubt the single player will have has much effort put into it as games like FEAR 2, CoD MW2, ect.

I do not think there will be an in depth story or cutscenes and whatnot... so epic music is not really needed. Would be great, but if most of the game is online (where people generally turn off the music), then it is not worth much time implementing.

It being a realistic game, I think most people prefer no music anyways for immersion purposes.

Upvote 0
I shall start the "Hans Zimmer for HOS petition" . . . :p

he's probably already booked working on the next COD title :D

although it seems kinda silly, good music is pretty nice to listen to in the menus and throughout parts of single player. plus if it's really THAT good you can listen to it on it's own. i always loved the soundtracks to MOH.

maybe look up Basil Poledouris. he did quite a decent job with the music to The Hunt For Red October......much more authentic sounding using the russian army choir. even though i'm a hans zimmer fan, he didn't really pull off the russian theme (from Crimson Tide) as well as Poledouris did in Red October.

james horner did Enemy at the Gates which had some decent tracks and themes in it.

of course if you've got the $$$ john williams is master of all things music.....if zimmer moved into video games, williams is eventually got to get into the scene to give zimmer some competition.

Upvote 0
Regarding Gramophones, how many were honestly lying about in highly contested areas of Stalingrad? Assuming Stalingrad was up to its ears in gramophones, I would guess that the vast majority of music, like 99%, would be Russian music, as Stalingrad is obviously Russian and who knows whether Germans brought any music with them. If they did, I'm sure gramophones would be reserved for officers and other high ranking officials because a normal soldier wouldn't be able to pack a gramophone, let alone music. So keeping with this, if gramophones are in, then only officers should be able to play music and be DJs for the entire round. Or perhaps this option is only available when people have acquired "hero" status. :rolleyes:

All kidding aside, menu music and single-player music only, please, but if some other way of incorporating music is added I wouldn't be opposed to it, as long as it's not in realism mode.

Upvote 0
Grammophones were generally placed and left behind in houses. As the fighting went on in regular houses you could get the rare find of finding houses with grammophones in there, and soldiers when finding such a device probably priced it. It shouldn't be more like an easteregg (similar to how its used in ostfront), and german music would be a bit out of place (that should be left for the berlin campaign :F).

I believe nestor said that during some occasions when the russians had a gramophone player they requested songs, with the russians complying in order to not get shot. Its not important but if there is a gramophone player staticmesh it would be nice for an easteregg. And it would be nice atleast to include a nice variety of soviet music with the game to use for mappers, as there are no copyrights on old soviet music.

9704d1b564f3283360b2384e97dbba84.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
But beside that menu music, and regular ingame music, can be a nice addition if it can both be turned off for those that don't want it (similar to the music in current ro). But i just hope to see more traditional russian songs of the era appear in the sdk.

Especially in the singleplayer music could perhaps help dramatizing the events and pace.

Last edited:
Upvote 0