• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] A question to TWI about sales...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fedorov

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 8, 2005
I know its ugly to ask about money and numbers, so I won't do that.

But I'm going to ask one thing I'm really curious about, and that is... has Killing Floor sold more copies than Red Orchestra?

Because It does seems like it, as the official KF group has almost 4 times more members than the RO one

I know its ugly to ask about money and numbers, so I won't do that.

But I'm going to ask one thing I'm really curious about, and that is... has Killing Floor sold more copies than Red Orchestra?

Because It does seems like it, as the official KF group has almost 4 times more members than the RO one
Not yet - but it has been selling a lot faster than RO did!

Upvote 0
Remember though that when RO was released steam was nowhere near the size/ as popular as it is today, so its no surprise that KF is selling faster.

4 or so years ago many of the casual and impulse purchasers (that I would imagine make up a fair chunk of KF sale numbers) wouldnt have had/wanted steam installed or just not have known about it.

But good to see KF doing so well!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Also don't forget that RO is a game for a niche. It's very accessible for a realistic, tactical shooter set on the eastern front, but it's still a realistic, tactical shooter set on the eastern front...:p
KF, on the other hand, is about as mainstream as it gets and it has been sailing on the zombie co-op wave too.

I think that's the main reason for it selling faster.

Upvote 0
Also don't forget that RO is a game for a niche. It's very accessible for a realistic, tactical shooter set on the eastern front, but it's still a realistic, tactical shooter set on the eastern front...:p
KF, on the other hand, is about as mainstream as it gets and it has been sailing on the zombie co-op wave too.

I think that's the main reason for it selling faster.

I think another strong reason why its selling faster, is that a big portion of the RO community bought it right away mainly because its made by TWI (it also happened to be awesome =P)

Upvote 0
I think another strong reason why its selling faster, is that a big portion of the RO community bought it right away mainly because its made by TWI (it also happened to be awesome =P)

That's why I bought it, actually. I played it once for about 20 minutes when I first got it, and then didn't touch it again for months. Went and played it a bit one day when I couldn't find a good RO server ... and it turns out I actually like it. :D

Upvote 0
Everybody loves killing zombies. Not so much for WWII realism on the Eastern Front. RO is very much part of a niche, like Murphy said. I think in the long run, KF will probably sell more copies than RO. That doesn't mean that KF is a better game, it means that killing zombies is a more popular concept.

I think a zombie mode for RO:HoS would be really cool. I mean the code is already there.

But no rolled up sleeves please, soldiers never did that in WWII. :(

Upvote 0
Also do bear in mind that a lot of the RO players did buy it for the above reason.But then got bored after a few hours and haven't touched it since.I know about 6 people who were playing the first weekend and have not been on since.

Upvote 0
That doesn't mean that KF is a better game, it means that killing zombies is a more popular concept.

nobody said KF was better.

however I mentioned the effect about RO community buying it for the sake of being TWI's game, I must say that Ostfront probably had benefited from the same effect from the mod community (which was obviously smaller than Ost's now)

RO:HoS will have the advantage now of the RO and the KF community together, so I predict that its sales will be even greater than KF's

@gautrek: If other people don't give the game a chance, thats not my problem, its theirs. I'm happy that they at least support TWI tho ;)

Upvote 0
@gautrek: If other people don't give the game a chance, thats not my problem, its theirs. I'm happy that they at least support TWI tho ;)

Its not that mate.
I gave the game a chance and got bored.Most i know who have stopped playing it said the same.But i took a punt as it was cheap.If it had been a full price game i would have left well alone.
Also the steam stats show that most who got the game have stopped playing.It struggled to get 1000 players a few weeks ago.I looked just now and its back up to 2500 playing.But i bet that will drop again after Christmas.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.