• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Gore?

Idiot

Apr 4, 2009
I searched around but couldn't find anything official. What is the gore going to be like in ROHS? I would imagine we would AT LEAST keep the old body parts flying around from the old RO, but I want them to take it to the next level. Maybe different headshot animations to make sniper fire more terrifying since you might see your teammates head get ripped in half and then see the brain matter hit the wall.

Sounds messed up I know, but anyone else want to see a little more gore?

2r5gjf7.png

don't know for sure but somewhere in this forum was stated that blood will run out of the dead body like in this screenshot ... so i am pretty sure there will be gore... not the hollywood splatter movie gore but realistic gore... i still hope there will be gore for germans that bought a uncut retail... unlike in ro where my gore vanished after some update(uncut version) i guess as soon as steam updates the gameclient located in german it makes your version cut no matter what :/...

Upvote 0
From the photos and videos I've seen on the great interwebs, most of the time you won't see a huge amount of blood unless somebody gets really messed up.

Head wounds, and severed limbs bleed about as much as you would expect, but only because these things usually mean an artery was opened up. Don't assume though, that if someone spilled his guts that there would be a Kill Bill level of blood. Parts of the flesh itself would bleed a bit, but your body isn't just a water balloon waiting to burst.

That said, you still wouldn't necessarily notice a huge amount of blood until it starts to pool up. If someone suffered a shot in the chest for instance, you wouldn't really see any blood because of the uniform soaking it up. Once he's laying on the floor it would start to collect, though.

The kind of gore that would be realistic would be skulls blowing apart from head shots, limbs being severed by grenades/explosions, etc. None of these things would really produce hollywood sprays of red mist, but they are still quite violent.

Upvote 0
I've seen a lot of high quality pics of gun shot wounds recently. Mainly from the Mexican drug wars. I don't have the links handy and doubt they would be allowed.

But as others said, there is not a lot of blood. The only time I saw a huge amount of blood was in this one ambush (or I think it was). Drug smugglers in an SUV that looked like they were ambushed with full auto fire. Probably 100 or more bullet holes in the vehicle. The driver's faces was disintegrated, with brain stuff and blood everywhere. Everyone was hit a lot of times, and they were soaking in blood. But, they were all shot a lot of times with rifles.

Most likely 5.56, since all the police had M4/AR-15s.

You guys can google it, but beware. You'll find some messed up photos of the drug war in Mexico.

Back on topic, I'd imagine a larger 7.62x54R would make bigger holes.

One thing I'd like to see are exit wound decals. A lot of games have them, but they don't look that realistic.

Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure a WWII era rifle round would pop someone's head. Those things were designed to kill while shooting across a steppe.

The rifles used in WW2 fired FMJ rounds; the bullet tends to travel through the body intact, especially when it hits something comparatively soft (like the skull + brain matter). Yeah, the target's brains are gonna be jello afterwards, and some of it will come out the exit wound, but his head isn't gonna explode or anything like that. It might if it was hit with something much larger though (PTRD round, maybe?).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Gore should stay realistic.
I actually think the blood in ROOST was well done, it's not an over the top amount of blood that comes out, as others have said gunshots dont always bleed like crazy.

Stuff that i would like to see is more varied wound-textures for explosions, as right now we only have two skins for blown-up people, one for the Russians and one for the Germans, and they are always the same.
A few more 'hitzones' would be very welcome as well, not always taking off just the lower leg, but maybe just a foot, or the entire leg, etc.
More bits and pieces coming off instead of just the same few parts over and over again.
Heads should not explode, but heavier rounds should be able to take away parts of the skull.
And bullet holes in the body ala Rogue Spear would be very, very great as well.
It's always nice to see where exactly you hit somebody :)

The most important part for me is variation though, and realism.
Variation should come from the expanded hitzones.
Maybe if you hit someone in the jaw with a heavy round his jaw can get shattered, if you hit him in the right side of the forehead that part of his skull comes off a bit, and blood runs over his face.
And if you shoot someone in the throat, he could make choking noises like in Hidden and Dangerous 2. It always gave me a creepy feeling to be shot and fall down on my back, looking at the sky listening to my character choke on his own blood, without being over the top.
And maybe the occasional artery hit could spout a little blood, considering the main artery is always under a fair amount of pressure.
Sometimes the blood reaches the other side of a room in such cases,though i wouldnt suggest putting that in HOS because it would look fake i guess :p
And as i said earlier, more sections for the limbs to be torn off instead of just the lower leg or arm every single time.

Upvote 0