• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

So when is Tripwire going to the "connecting to Server" message hangings?

Z Overlord

Grizzled Veteran
May 16, 2009
Ever since the big update, I and many others, have not been able to join ANY servers.

I have reinstalled 4 times, verified integrity, unplugged router and directly use my modem, delete .ini, EVERYTHING.

Tripwire, I do not own a game, I own a menu screen.

Please, please fix this. You do not even acknowledge this bug exists, and you ignore all pleas for help.

I've waited long enough, I was dying to use the new content like grenade launchers :(

Ok so your maps load fine. It's an error with your hops possibly. What I would suggest is pick a random server from the list, try connecting to it. If it doesnt connect then write down the IP of that server. Exit game and open command prompt, type in "tracert IP" without the quotes. See if it lags out anywhere along the way. Itll tell you each hop it makes on the way to the server and the latency you receive at that hop. It's possible that certain servers just arent compatible with your IP's route.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, he never seems to try things, he just complains about how this isn't working and that isn't working. Pointing out that Tripwire should fix his problems, but the game works fine for 90+% of players and there's a number of possible fixes listed all over this forum, which has fixed most of the remaining 10%'s issues. Honestly, I wouldn't waste my time, rajuncajun, but I truly do appreciate you trying to help others.

Upvote 0
Can't help you if you don't do what's asked.

That was in response to the other guy, I'll try that now.

there's a number of possible fixes listed all over this forum, which has fixed most of the remaining 10%'s issues.

1. I'm busy, this is on of the last things on my mind atm.

2. Sorry man about my internet behavior, but really, I sorta you know, payed for it...just maybe some explanation of what is going on is not unreasonable in the consumer world...

Edit: This is all I'm getting from the CMD thing:

C:\Users\Z Overlord>tracert IP 70.86.91.82:7707
Unable to resolve target system name IP.

second IP I tried, am I setting it up wrong?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Tracing route to planet.dras.us [70.86.91.82]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 22 ms 13 ms 9 ms 10.151.80.1
2 12 ms 12 ms 9 ms elcnsysc02-gex0919.sd.sd.cox.net [68.6.11.126]
3 8 ms 17 ms 7 ms 68.6.8.56
4 8 ms 11 ms 15 ms elcndsrj01-xe600.r2.sd.cox.net [68.6.8.12]
5 40 ms 51 ms 38 ms dalsbbrj02-ae5.0.r2.dl.cox.net [68.1.0.174]
6 40 ms 39 ms 38 ms te9-1.dsr01.dllstx3.theplanet.com [70.87.253.6]

7 * * * Request timed out.
8 38 ms 58 ms 40 ms po1.car04.dllstx5.theplanet.com [70.87.254.26]
9 39 ms 38 ms 38 ms planet.dras.us [70.86.91.82]

Trace complete.

How's it look guys?

Upvote 0
Looks normal. The request timing out thing happens to everyone, but your router/modem found an alternate way there so no worries. The issue is completely game-side, so it's up to TWI to fix it. If you still cant play, I'd say send a ticket into Steam support and tell them that after a recent upgrade youre no longer able to play the game and request a refund or credit. Usually you'll get it if you can prove you aren't able to play the game.

I have a suggestion:
Go into your steam settings and change your region to somewhere like... halfway across the country at least and then restart steam. Then go into Killing Floor and under Game options checkmark the box Dynamic Netspeed. Dont worry about the news feed thingy, it never shows up for me either. Sort your servers by ping and find a server with less than 100 ping and try connecting to it. Let me know if it works.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A tracert is no good indication wether a firewall or a game is causing the issue. Its just an indication to see wether you can reach the server at all. Most cases of being inable to connect to a form of internet connection is a router blocking the trafic. Especially since a tracert cannot test udp packets and it doesnt ping at the correct game port.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ok Overlord this will be extensive but try it.

1. Copy and paste your steamapps folder to a safe location (usually desktop).
2. Uninstall Steam.
3. Type regedit in Run to open your registry editor.
4. Find HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Valve or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Valve and delete the Valve folder in whichever has it or both if two exist.
5. Find HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Wow6432Node/Valve and delete that Valve folder too.
6. Reboot computer in Safe Mode with Networking (spam F8 at startup screen).
7. Reinstall Steam, do not let it log in to update. Cancel it as soon as it starts Steam after install.
8. Place your steamapps folder back into the proper place.
9. Start Steam and allow it to fully update, and then run Verify Game Integrity on your Killing Floor.
10. Reboot normally and try again.

Upvote 0