• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Scrake update...

fredkruge

Grizzled Veteran
May 19, 2009
Canada
omfg? wtf. The scrake has been upgraded a little bit too far. I didnt mind that he can attack/walk at the same time BUT now that he sprints at you earlier the only way you can survive is if you have a shotgun or the entire team focuses on him (which then you get killed by everything else...). My suggestion is that you let the scrake still walk/attack but you make it so he gets his speed boost at the same time as before.
Oh, and the bloat shouldnt be able to walk/vomit at same time... but should be able to swipe at you and move.

Welcome to the Mod Skrake, Folks. Imagine the Skrake as it is now, only able to GRAB you like a Clot.

Your days of considering the Skrake a 'bullet sponge' or a non-threat period are over!

*UPDATE*

Just played my first few rounds on Hard since the patch. Wow. This is EXACTLY what I said would happen if Gorefasts/Skrakes could attack on the move...I'd say close to 3/4 of the kills in the games I played were from Gorefasts and Skrakes! It can be summed up in the console messages:

Player 1 was killed by a Skrake
Player 2 was killed by a Skrake
Player 3 was killed by a Gorefast
Player 4 was killed by a Gorefast
Player 5 was killed by a Skrake
Player 6 was killed by a Skrake

Holy crap, they're fast on Hard. And the Support morons who would rely on the Skrake stopping to attack, even when raged, to use 2-3 double shots from the hunting shotgun are a curse to any team now. They blast the Skrake once or twice, and it rages, rushing them WHILE cutting, usually killing the Support in no time, then turning on the team, still enraged! They'll typically steamroll half the team while everyone is trying to figure out what's going on... I'd almost rather face a Fleshpound!

Gorefasts attacking on the move is a nightmare too. There are just so many of them that even if they only do their 'insta-hit' attack on the move 10% of the time (I'm certain it's closer to at least 50%!), that's a LOT of attacks... And each attack doing 40-50% damage on Hard...well, you do the math there...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't mind the scrake. I am however peeved at the FP. The random rages and the distance he covers now is ridiculous. Seriously, I watched as a level 4 medic, alone (everyone else had died by now), ran full tilt away from the FP and his horde. The FP rages...and doesn't stop raging. He just kept going, and going, and going. The Medic was a fair distance ahead, way past rage range, and still the FP just kept going.

My problem with the update is that the enemies were all boosted without any substantial changes to the perks. Commandoes got the most 'buff'...and while I love it, I am not sure its enough I thank Tripwire for drastically dropping the stalker limit though. If Gorefasts (#2 top killers, behind the crawler) and scrakes can attack on the move, and the FP can random range for seeming-****ing-ever, then I think the perks should have a correspond boost to make them more viable. I like that these specimens have become real threats, but you get bum-rushed by a scrake/gorefast horde with crawlers jumping your ***, I'd appreciate some sort of boost.

Upvote 0
You just cant win with people, If your playing on hard with level 2 perks your gonna have a rough time. Get to level 5 on your perks you won't have too much trouble with anything. I have no problem with the majority of monsters besides the fp, I can handle one but thats it as a firebug anyways. The scake is still very easy to take out. Myself im glad the fp is a lot more powerful.

Upvote 0
I'm happy with the way gorefasts are now (although for some reason they seem harder to decapitate? Or maybe that's because I played with a lot of people), but I'm really not sure about the scrakes. Sure it's cool that they are way more dangerous, but as they can still be stunned they are still just as easy to kill, although now everyone will just stay as far away from them as possible and not attack them, because if one charges at you and no one has the fire power to take care of it in time, you're dead.

Upvote 0
Love the new update. Scrakes are definitely a huge threat now, especially on hard and up.

But I think we can all agree that he random FP rages are not welcome.
And does anyone else think the puke-while-moving attack for Bloats is a bit much?

Is it just me, or did they edit the hitboxes for headshots?
Before the update, to get a headshot on gorefasts for me, you had to hit them in the mouth/jaw area. Anywhere else on their head was a "glancing" headshot or it took out an arm or leg.
I have not been successful in decaping an FP except when he rages and throws back his head and yells (at which point he takes a crossbow bolt through the bottom of his mouth and out the top of his skull ;D).
I can decap scrakes though now, but only as a killing blow.
The siren's head hitbox is even goofier now. I used to be able to get a headshot gib randomly, but I've tried like 30 times today and not ONCE did I get one.
On the plus side, Crawlers are easy as ever to get headshots on, and aiming at the Stalker's head actually gives you a headshot now!

Upvote 0
I don't mind the scrake. I am however peeved at the FP. The random rages and the distance he covers now is ridiculous. Seriously, I watched as a level 4 medic, alone (everyone else had died by now), ran full tilt away from the FP and his horde. The FP rages...and doesn't stop raging. He just kept going, and going, and going. The Medic was a fair distance ahead, way past rage range, and still the FP just kept going.

My problem with the update is that the enemies were all boosted without any substantial changes to the perks. Commandoes got the most 'buff'...and while I love it, I am not sure its enough I thank Tripwire for drastically dropping the stalker limit though. If Gorefasts (#2 top killers, behind the crawler) and scrakes can attack on the move, and the FP can random range for seeming-****ing-ever, then I think the perks should have a correspond boost to make them more viable. I like that these specimens have become real threats, but you get bum-rushed by a scrake/gorefast horde with crawlers jumping your ***, I'd appreciate some sort of boost.

The "Random" fleshpound rages are to discourage kiting. If you're periodically shooting it, it's FAR less likely to rage. However if you kite it and try to 'save it for last' like most players do, it'll rage. And not a normal rage either. THIS RAGE IS UNTIL IT HITS SOMETHING. Period. It pisses off kiting experts somethin' fierce!

Upvote 0
And does anyone else think the puke-while-moving attack for Bloats is a bit much?
Yes! I used to be annoyed at the fact that you couldn't run past it as it just constantly rotates to your position, but with the additional no-pausing it's even more annoying. If they could just modify it so it could only rotate back and forth between a small angle while vomiting it'd be great.

Also, for scrakes I really think being able to very briefly stun them with any weapon would work. When I say briefly, I mean for example like how the gorefast reacts when you hit it. Just a very brief pause before carrying on. If done right you couldn't just backpedal while blasting it with your hunting shotgun, as the pause between shots would be long enough for it to get a hit in, *but* if you have a quick-hitting weapon such as a knife you have a means to defend yourself while other team members can kill it. Anyone else like this idea?

Upvote 0
Seriously? Bloats are a virtual non-threat. I can accept this since they're a very low level enemy, but do you honestly believe such a small buff (Bloats are still slow, they're vomit is still heavily ranged, it still has a delay, their heads still pop at the drop of a pin) is unfair? If you get within range of the slowest specimen in the game without blowing its head off first, you deserve to take a hefty amount of damage. Every class has a 9mm pistol they can't get rid of, so you're hardly without means to completely nullify the Bloat's vomit ability, and it only takes a few shots to do so.

Also, for scrakes I really think being able to very briefly stun them with any weapon would work.
You can stun Scrakes with grenades. And if I'm reading this code correctly (Which I very well might not be), a headshot with the crossbow can also stun them.

Upvote 0
At this current time, Scrakes are still susceptible to freezing when you use the Chainsaw power-strike.

Or when you hit them with an axe. As I said, this does two things ATM:

1) Gives berserkers an important role (Skrake buster/Fleshpound decapper)
2) Gives a decent reason for non-zerkers to have a melee weapon backup besides the Knife...

Upvote 0
Or when you hit them with an axe. As I said, this does two things ATM:

1) Gives berserkers an important role (Skrake buster/Fleshpound decapper)
2) Gives a decent reason for non-zerkers to have a melee weapon backup besides the Knife...

I doubt the Scrake freezing was intended, so I hold no expectations that the 'effect' will remain.

All the classes play an important role, though it depends on how one utilises those perks.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the Mod Skrake, Folks. Imagine the Skrake as it is now, only able to GRAB you like a Clot.

Your days of considering the Skrake a 'bullet sponge' or a non-threat period are over!

*UPDATE*

Just played my first few rounds on Hard since the patch. Wow. This is EXACTLY what I said would happen if Gorefasts/Skrakes could attack on the move...I'd say close to 3/4 of the kills in the games I played were from Gorefasts and Skrakes! It can be summed up in the console messages:

Player 1 was killed by a Skrake
Player 2 was killed by a Skrake
Player 3 was killed by a Gorefast
Player 4 was killed by a Gorefast
Player 5 was killed by a Skrake
Player 6 was killed by a Skrake

Holy crap, they're fast on Hard. And the Support morons who would rely on the Skrake stopping to attack, even when raged, to use 2-3 double shots from the hunting shotgun are a curse to any team now. They blast the Skrake once or twice, and it rages, rushing them WHILE cutting, usually killing the Support in no time, then turning on the team, still enraged! They'll typically steamroll half the team while everyone is trying to figure out what's going on... I'd almost rather face a Fleshpound!

Gorefasts attacking on the move is a nightmare too. There are just so many of them that even if they only do their 'insta-hit' attack on the move 10% of the time (I'm certain it's closer to at least 50%!), that's a LOT of attacks... And each attack doing 40-50% damage on Hard...well, you do the math there...

I love the new Scrake. They're actually a threat now, like they should be!

Upvote 0