• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO:HOS multi-play max player

Dident they add smoke with the mg 42 update ? A official saying on that issue might be intresting...Since iam still unsure if RO really is intendet to be 8v8 , looking from a competitive clan based view. If you look at what RO became for so many difrrent playstyles and "fractions" of this small community. You have the "8v8 competitive claners people" you have the "realism monkys " that totlay adjusted the game to their needs or tweaked what they seemd to be fitting, and you have the "average" roplayer, that just logs in and plays. PLUS,you have alot of shades of grey in between. ( well all depending on the desired playtime and matches of certain groups )

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It came with the Lyves Krovy update. I agree it's quite tactical in clan and public matches, but the quantity for such a huge bonus item is too high. It should be scarce like the artillery, and should be used wisely and timely rather than just spamming everywhere.

Upvote 0
yeah i agree..but how do you maintain a awareness in your "average pubby player" for the sensitivity of useing a certain role ? IMO it can only be done by a "level up" system. Deny a new gamer a certain role till he has racked up some playtime. Deny them to be the driver of a tiger ( for example, gunner might be fine, because, as for the system we have now..the driver is like 10x more important ) and expand on that. Deny them to choose the SL role right away. But, That leads to another problem...what do you do if the game is released fresh ? Everyone going rifle for the first 2 weeks ? Well sounds appealing for long term RO players but contradicts the philosophy of beign a more acessable RO game that is RO:HOS" ....( while an tbh, for me and only my pesonal opinion...for me ro was appealing beause its IS HARD and unforgiving..it basicly sorts out the whimps and the man in the first 2 days a new gamer joins the experience.) Through..that might not be the best buisness model :rolleyes: ...But it creates a somewhat Hardcore fanbase..wich TWi seems to try to build on and expand at the moment. Its a thin line...as with the "german campaign" :D;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hello lads,

about max. players, well 64 players is a good number when having maps that are large enough. You could even have 150 players like Joint Operations supports it. But you really need large maps otherwise you'll be unable to move freely and you get stuck all the time :)

I can remember a server which performed 100 players in Red Orchestra V3.2, and we were playing Krasni. Can you imagine some 40 Wehrmachtsoldiers against the same number of Red Army ones in the garage. Well except getting stuck, can you imagine what happened when we started throwing grenades at each other? Like 40 nades in the Russians direction and like 40 back to the Germans. And you're simply too much to escape the grenades. Reinforcement was depleted within few minutes.

The thing how the server made it possible with so many players was first it must have been a darn good machine and secondly you can adjust the player number freely but you need to have a map which has "100 players" available from the editor.

I can only say if there's large enough maps and it's still a bit crowded and you don't have to run miles to the action on infantry maps and everythings fine with reinforcements I'd love to see so many in action.

The_Emperor

Upvote 0
For me a Volga border map, with Germans defending and the Russians attacking in boats, would be one that could fit 100 players. This is realistic cause it's a great assault and it was at least one regiment to attack and defend.

A map for getting stuck and nadefests would be a map like Pavlov. It deals with the attacking of an apartment house, Germans in offense, Russians defending. Can you imagine 50 Russians in one building? Or 50 Germans attacking it. Just imagine the stucking on the floors. ;)

City maps don't need to be too large in my opionion, but you need every single house accessable, particulary the cellars. (Stalingrad is famous for it's house-to-house fighting in the cellars.) So it's possible that behind each window one player could be waiting for the enemy.

The_Emperor

Upvote 0
Originally Posted by The_Emperor
This is realistic cause it's a great assault.

This is unrealistic because it never happened, great or not.

Mmmm Well a good idea is a good idea..I think we have to look beyond the realism to what the vast majority of gamers want to play and that's interesting and exciting maps.
I think that the RO community tends to replace gameplay for realism sometimes and that is a shame.
Afterall RO is a game first and foremost and was designed to be enjoyed at all levels.
The first RO had a learning curve with realism aspects that were set too steep..In my humble opinion..I sincerely hope that TWI reduce these dramatically to make the game much more accessible to beginners.
Of course the game is a realistic shooter and that should continue to be the case but let's give beginners a chance to grow into the game by not forcing the realism issues on them at the very first stage..;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
if you ask me 16vs16 is just right..

the reason i dont like those 32vs32 or 25vs25 server is lag,i get horrible 1min lags( were i lose connection or just spawn and think "WTF" ) on the TWB servers..

my problem with 25vs25 server in general is RO:OST maps are terribly unbalanced even with this 50+ loadout feature..almost all maps are being won by defending side eventhough teams are evened...

so if there should be >32players support from the start the map should be made to fit the 25vs25 gameplay

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah only too true..But you can attempt to please a majority at least..:rolleyes:

There are enough games (and to much tactical shooters who lost their roots) that are doing this already.

The learning curve of RO is actually what got me into the mod in the first place.
When you start racking up kills, you know they are deserved and that you have become good.
Then RO slams it's hooks into your body and doesnt let go anymore.

And imho, if you can't get past the fact that a game requires some more effort from your side then your average shooter, then i'd rather have those players go to some other game and have fun there.

I get the fact that you want more players into the game, and i support that.
But it shouldnt be at the cost of the learning curve, because that is what made RO the game it is right now.
You need to learn that stuff to survive and become effective.
From that level of effectiveness comes the satisfaction of playing.
Now if you take out a learning curve, what kind of challenge is left? And where will the satisfaction of mastering the game be?

Besides, a single player campaign and co-op mode should be more then enough to ease players into the game instead of removing realism aspects.

Upvote 0
Yep mostly daily the previous 4 years.

I can f.ex. tell ya that I hated Berlin (mod's map) for it's small size and the few accessable windows and rooms.
Also I hated Kharkov for his bad design, 2 streets and when the enemy's tank was occuring you were trapped cause you couldn't hide from it in a building.

I love Ostfront's Danzig for more buildings being accessable.

I simply state that it's unrealistic that there were and are so many buildings on the maps that you can't enter. In war any civilian building is enterable. If the door is locked you simply destroy the door. That's what I wonder mainly about.

Don't tell me something about the concept of RO. This as got nothing to do with the map design in general. You seem to state now that the concept of RO will get destroyed by more realistic maps. Huh?:confused:

Upvote 0