• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

better fps with aa and af on???

chuckpolzin

Oct 20, 2008
hey all,

I just purchased the game and its great, but one wierd thing i noticed is that when i have the game on 2x for both aa and af i seem to notice at least a 15fps boost over when i have them off. To me this makes absolutely no sense. I thought it might be due to a conflict in my display adapter settings, so i set them both to off and still i get worse framerate with aa and af off in game. I also set them to application controlled and still better results with some aa and af.

My rig isnt exactly the most gamer friendly and maybe that has something to do with it. It is a laptop with a 2ghz dual core, 2 gigs of ram and a 128 meg dedicated vid card ,

do you guys have any ideas why that framerate is higher with aa and af on than off, its crazy to me,

thanks

The cpu is the bottleneck. RO doesn't support multiple cores so only one of them is used and 2GHz is just about the absolute minimum to run the game well.
Maybe the cpu is taxed even more when the gpu wants to produce too many frames per second so the game runs slower. When the gpu has more to do and its speed comes down to what the cpu can handle this increases the framerate. I'm not that tech savvy. This is just wild speculation.

If I were you I'd use the excess gpu power not for AA or AF but for more texture and character detail, enabled detail-textures, foliage etc. I doubt the gpu can handle those at Highest anyway so just set them to High. That should keep your gpu busy without causing a hit in the framerate and to me such things are worth much more than AA or AF. Matter of taste, of course.

World Detail makes certain objects appear/disappear. I like to keep it on High but it takes off a bit of a load for the cpu if it's lowered so experiment with it a bit and see if it's worth lowering for more frames per second. The results vary from map to map! When I'm mapping myself and I make it so Low is only what people need to see, medium is eye-candy and high is stuff that drains performance than it's really worth but if people have a powerful enough pc they may want to see it. If others do it like that as well, Medium should be a good compromise. As I said, experiment a bit with it.

I would definately lower the Physics Detail to Lowest because the only thing you'll really miss are animated water-surfaces and it's all done by the cpu so with it being your bottleneck you should see a bit of an increase in the framerate if you lower that. Maybe 5-10 or so.

Upvote 0
yeah bummer,

i checked my cpu activity and there it was, maxxed out one core, doesnt touch the other.....

is this a problem that they are potentially going to address , making the software utilize both cores, if not that is a huge let down considering the trend of hardware going primarily multiple core tech.
I could probly run this game at way higher fps in this case, i have the specs on high with aa at 2x and af at 4x , wtih bloom and blur off and i still get 80 -90 fps in all but the hottest areas on the map

i really hope a future patch can fix this

Upvote 0
yeah bummer,

i checked my cpu activity and there it was, maxxed out one core, doesnt touch the other.....

is this a problem that they are potentially going to address , making the software utilize both cores, if not that is a huge let down considering the trend of hardware going primarily multiple core tech.
I could probly run this game at way higher fps in this case, i have the specs on high with aa at 2x and af at 4x , wtih bloom and blur off and i still get 80 -90 fps in all but the hottest areas on the map

i really hope a future patch can fix this
You can still crank up the resolution, AA, AF, texture details, bloom, detail textures, projector, character shadows etc. because those all depend on the gpu! If your gpu is powerfull enough you can max those out without a hit in performance. If it isn't, well, then multi-core support isn't going to change a thing about that.

As for the 80-90 frames: The game is caped at 85 frames per second when you are playing online. If you want to know how well you perform, play offline where there is no cap. Keep in mind that bots cost cpu power so if you are short on that don't add too many.

Upvote 0
I played Stalker:Clear Sky lately, which also had the issue of not using multiple cpus. I downloaded a free tool called CPU-Control, which enabled me to assign cpus to the game.
CPU 1 for general stuff and CPU 2+3+4 for Stalker - Bam! Absolut smooth gameplay (yeah, quad core ftw :p).
Havent thought about trying it on RO, but surely will soon. Since RO is such a cpu-intense game, this should bring a MAJOR boost to dual-/quad-core users (if it works).

Upvote 0
Seems to be here:
http://www.koma-code.de/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=88&Itemid=93

But seems pretty illogical to me that just assigning a process withoout support for multiple cores to all the cores would help anything. AFAIK affinity is set to all four cores by default by the OS, its just up to the process to use it?

Might be an idea to try, worst you could get is a bluescreen :D

Upvote 0
Not when the program only uses one core, or does it?:confused:

look that i compared 2 dual core processors.

Only 1 processor is utlized in ro although a second can handle the os.
But a Core 2 processor is more than 2 times as fast as a pentium 4 of equivalent clock speed. And i'm not looking at amount of cores there.

Upvote 0