• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Resistance and Liberation Alpha - Patch OUT!

There really was no balancing out needed between the K98 and the Garand. It's two completely different playstyles, the garand allows a little gung-ho maneuvering and more suppressive fire, but the K98 forced ambushes and teamwork to overcome superior firepower.

Not once did I ever complain playing on the German side because I had a k98 (Though I did want that mp40 countless times :p). I never had a problem winning on the German side. It never felt "stacked" against me in anyway shape or form.

As for this accuracy and damage thing, its a load of BS. Starting with damage, there's no such thing as damage in real life (to a degree). My 9mm pistol is going to do just as much damage to you as my buddy with a k98 if we both shoot you in the heart, the lungs, the spinal cord, the liver, or the head (theres other important organs but whatever). It's all about shot placement, a .22 bullet is just as lethal as a 30-06. Now yes, severity of shots in non-lethal areas such as the arms, legs, butt, etc. (yes there are carteries running through them, but whatever again) is generally dictated by the size of the round (a .50 cal is going to tear your arm off and probably kill you eventually, almost no matter where it hits you).

Yes there are all sorts of factors as like permenant cavity, temporary cavity, hydro-shock (while conventional theory about it has been disproven, they believe it actually shocks the nerves around the shocked area, sending overly strong signals back to the brain :eek:), penetration and whatnot, generally the only thing that really matters is shot placement. So in short, arbitrary damage assigned to guns or bullet types is inherently wrong in itself.

Now accuracy. Some weapons are always going to be more accurate then other weapons. You can test this by benching a weapon (google it if you dont know what that means) and shooting ten rounds, then measuring the shot group. Truthfully, for generally accurate weapons (K98 and garand for example), this really doesn't matter, even out to about 500m; because the shot groups are tight enough that if you put the sight on the target and pull the trigger, your going to hit it.

Now what I'm trying to say is that accuracy isn't the issue with the K98, it's believed to be the hit detection. I've been at point blank before and shot at an American with the k98 with the sights, and missed him, only to have to close with my bayonet to keep from getting killed. It's either bad code or a bug causing reliability issues with either the hit detection or the flat out accuracy of the k98. Thats not to say the K98 isn't accurate, when all works well, both hit detection and accuracy, I can plug away at soldiers and drop them like flies. It's annoying when a shot here and a shot there (or 5 in a row) either don't hit or aren't registered or something. Thats what needs to be fixed.

As for the auto-reload (the click the fire one more time to reload a mag or clip), thats a good decision AS LONG AS the r button still allows reloads any-way through a magazine (the garand cannot be reloaded until the clip is spent, just a fact of life).

As for the auto-bolt, if I remember correctly Battlefield 1942 used the same system, and let me tell you, remembering to hold the fire button in order to NOT bolt is much harder than remembering to click the fire button again in order TO bolt.

@Murphy, While I believe the point your making about the breathing has nothing to do with what I'm about to explain, I'd just like to clear it up. A hold your breath button is entirely realistic. There are three places weapon sway come from, your arms (holding up the rifle), your heart (the pulsating of blood through your arms causes some vibration and sway) and your breathing (thats the large up and down). You can fight all three of them, though in three different ways. The only way to counter your arms is to get stronger (its easier to hold 8 pounds up steadily when your strong than when your weak). The way to counter your heart is to rest your weapon against something (sandbags, bipod, tripod, a tree, etc.). And the way to counter your breathing is by controlling your breathing.

In the military this is called BRAS, BREATHE, RELAX, AIM, SQUEEZE. You first take a deap breath (Breathe), then you exhale BUT you HOLD YOUR BREATH halfway through the exhale (Relax), then you line up your shot (Aim) and finally you gently squeeze the trigger till the gun shoots (Squeeze).

BRAS isn't meant for snipers (not exclusively at least), its taught to even the most basic rifleman and to anyone who carries a long-arm. So holding your breath in-game is entirely realistic (I'm not even sure who came up with the idea that it wasn't).

lol, another Novel, at least this time it isn't about HEAT rounds and the uses of Panzerschreks and recoilless weapons in general (again). :p :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@Murphy, While I believe the point your making about the breathing has nothing to do with what I'm about to explain, I'd just like to clear it up.
That's right. He was talking about a button to breath out and to breath in. You'd have to press that all the time. It was used as an example of making a game too realistic and as an example for that it's as over-used as nonsensical.
Hearing this from someone who is involved in the development of a realistic game is awkward.
I agree that a "hold breath" function makes sense and it's already at work in some games as a replacement for controlling your breath which would be unnecessary harder to implement and to use.

The Garand can be reloaded mid-clip, btw. ;)

Upvote 0
Ok. I got myself the rnl installer and installed it and there was no problem with that. There are two steam accounts on my PC. The one I use has dod:s with it and while it was installed i could play Insurgency (yeah, beat me for playing those games) but then I got rid of them to have some extra space on my HD.
I thought (since cs:S is installed for the second account on my PC) that I could play RnL from my account because I theoretically own a Source game and there is some Source game still installed (but not activated on my account). It doesnt appear in the games list, though.
Is there another way to start the game? did I get a corrupt installer (people seemed to have issues with the installer) or do I really need to reinstall dod:S again?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Lol, the Tokarev-garand discussion in Ins board is ridiculous. A few fools actually think they stole the sound.
Like yeah, "we gonna record our own sounds and make sure it`s gonna be top quality, no matter how ling it takes. But when garand`s turn comes up, **** NO, we gonna steal that."

Bloody idiots some people are.

Upvote 0
Now i was reading about this mod for a long time on this forum and still don't know what i need for playing it.Do i need to buy only HL2 or i can play it with orange box or other compilations with HL2 on them?I have Counter strike Source and DoD Source without HL2?From the youtube videos it seem that this is going to be a good mod.Thanks for the help in advance!

Upvote 0
I posted something curious about r&l today.
It's about chest shots not being lethal.
I suspected it, but it seems to be a design decision.

So as a bolter against the semi-auto garand I have to shoot him twice to kill him. Chest shots do not kill :eek:

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=4p_k4zC2beg

I do hope they change it, because apart from the dodish feel it just doesn't feel right.

Monk.

Upvote 0
I've tried it, and I'm glad to see *finally" a game which has the potential to be the best realistic tactical game for the Source Engine.

Howewer, at it's current state; IMHO Darkest Hour has much more content and features. Mainly because it's already based on a "proven" base game with less limitations. That's where I'll be for the time being :)

Upvote 0