• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What will it take to save RO?

Shurek

Grizzled Veteran
May 21, 2006
www.darkesthourgame.com
Building off of {CORE}Steven's thread "RO Community State", and assuming for a moment that RO is heading for an imminent dirt nap, what in your opinion would it take to revive community interest in the game at this stage in the product's life cycle?

As a person who's spent a great deal of his free time over the last two years developing (or co-developing) new content for the game, this question is just more than an academic one for me. So, consider this poll my contribution towards doing a little proactive market research into where I should be directing my free time moving forward. If enough of us who are left in this community care about the direction of the game, perhaps something can be done about it still whether it be lobbying server admins to carry more custom (or mod) content, encouraging the remaining mappers to create scenarios more people want to see, etc.

EDIT: Okay, I wanted to post a poll, but apparently I was too slow - what else is new. These were going to be the choices:

1 – Server Admins: Please put 24/7 and 50 player servers out to pasture
2 - Mappers: Please make more quality Combined Arms maps
3 - Mappers: Please make more quality Infantry only maps
4 - Mappers: Please make more quality Tank only maps
5 – Modders: Please make more new vehicles, weapons, and player models
6 – RO:OST is caput. I only want to play the new mods (CC,MN,and DH)
7 – RO:OST is caput. I’ve moved on and Shurek should too, if he had more sense.

Last edited:
I would personally say 1 through 3 (even 4, but I'm not a fan of the tank combat in this game) with number 1 being the biggest catalyst for immediate positive change. Games like this arent a disposable product. It was great to begin with and it is still great, but the focus on what made it great has been lost in the jumble of poor decisions made by server admins and devs alike. IMO.

Upvote 0
TWB Servers only loaded servers

TWB Servers only loaded servers

The game has peaked (or plummeted) to a steady level IMO with a few noobies arriving daily and a lot of vets who haven't moved on or just returning. Why do we play the TWB servers nightly (North America time) to their maximum capacity regularly? Just the facts:

1) They are the only servers it seems with a lot of players on them
2) They are stable servers running stable maps
3) The server speed and ping time are optimal
4) They are a map rotation server without voting
5) They are well admin'd with a TWB clan member on almost always to enforce the server rules

So, let's grab the list of RO:OST "custom" maps and CC maps and ask an admin out there to meet criteria 1-5. Then we may get more people back who are bored with the same stock maps who want to fight more than bots! I think FKMOD attempts this but with the voting, it's the same two maps voted over and over again. You can only play Alta Z. so many hours before it get's tiresome!:)

Upvote 0
I don't think RO is going to take a dirt nap. I mean look at a game like Vietcong... it is much older than RO, and still has a hard core fan base that has active servers. RO will have a few active servers and active players for some time IMO.

I do think though that this is a good topic because there are things that can be done to help. My choice for the record is 1-3.

I know it's been said over and over and it's not going to be done. Intergrating the mods into RO so one server could rotate would be paramount in getting old players back. Splitting up a small community among a few mods is not good.

I think giving out free passes for a week/weekend is a good idea... perhaps with a new low price of $14.99 or less?

New content, and no 24/7 servers, along with good combined arms maps would be excellent.

Long Live RO!

Upvote 0
A new Mapping contest would be a good idea, with new stuff from the mods, but its a bit too late for this, cause it tooks alot of time, we dont have anymore for save ro

iron crescendo and the german league with my clan are the onliest two things,
which why i still play ro, normal public playing sucks, so more "special nights" would be also good

or we develop ro2 before twi does :D

or like kipper said, turn off the crap servers and turn on good specific ones, like a 50-player server with good 50-player maps, like zetsumei said, and some 32-slot server, some with only stock maps, some with the best infantry-maps, some tank-servers, big tankmaps, small tankmaps or both, a some custom-server and so on :D

maybe all server admins should come together and talk about this

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There are lots of quality custom maps out there, it's just that they don't seem to be available on the more populair servers.

I'm getting pretty tired of playing the same stock maps over and over again (and map voting being disabled), but it's practically impossible to find a decently populated server with custom maps or mods these days... :(

Server Admins: More quality custom maps, less stock maps and enable map voting.

Upvote 0
As I posted in the other thread, for me more map variety in those servers that are occupied. I love the game but for the most part, I am tired of seeing the same 10 or so maps running in those same servers. There are too many good maps that are not getting played at least once in a while, or at least not enough servers running those maps (and CC mod etc) for me to come across when I am playing.

Upvote 0
in order to keep this game going i think that it needs to be MARKETED MORE!!!! i think the game and all of its udaptes and new mods are just fine, the problem is that there just aren't enough people who have heard of it and getting more new players is tough as a result. for example, my entire group of floormates in my dor have watched me play and thought that RO was sweet and a few went and bought it and are now playing......the problem is that they had never heard of it until they saw me playing it. if tripwire could run some commercials on tv i think if would help greatly. something that i would suggest would be to market DH as a seperate game and get it on tv and in stores. kids see commercials and buy the games. especially a game like this....the typical WWII fps game. once they buy the game and get hooked, they will see the original RO, MN, and CC and will play those as well. all current RO players should be allowed to get DH as an update and not have to buy it, but market it to everyone else for $20 at walmart! then when they buy DH, allow them to download and play the other RO mods. i think this would really work, it is just up to the DH creators and tripwire to get it going.

Upvote 0
I'm not going to read through all the post so if I repeat something sorry.

Anyways I think the only thing that will truely save Ro is Tripwires new game. Hopefully that being RO2 because if it isnt they are horrible people and deserve mean letter being sent to them(kidding... but not really). Now, in the mean time while we all wait for some information on it we still have a wonderfuly made game and some wonderfully made Mods coming out. I dont think the community needs to start worring... yet. the servers are still filled for the most part and the gameplay, at least to me, is the same as it was two years ago.

So, lets all just sit back, relax and waste more of our Saturday night playing RO and enjoy it. Unless someone here can make some mind controlling device or until we can ban together to get 24/7 servers off we are stuck. The Devs have said countless times RO is no longer their main concern. Their main concern now is the new project (better be damn RO2).

Now to enphesis how fast I am saying this I willstopusingspacesthiswayyouwillallknow.

Also, for some unknown reason this forum doesnt have spellchecker nor does it let me copy my damn post to use word. So since I am a dumbass please look past the horrid spelling. Damn grammar fanantics.. you know who you are

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mappers dont want to map because none of the maps get featured or have a short life, its the same ones over and over and the strategy is the same over and over unless your playing with noobs where all you can do is sit back and try to kill as many as possible. Mappers spend alot of time not getting to play would be nice if it payed off. If TWB is controlling the Tripire servers then why cant we do something new with those like a custom infantry night or a custom tank map night that way there is always new stuff out there to play. You have to let people play the maps before you can get to vote for them on the voting servers. People dont vote for what they dont know.

Upvote 0
Who says it needs saving? RO is still going strong after all these years, and the biggest mod so far for it has yet to be released. A little premature in your assumptions, perhaps?

I've gotten many many hours out of RO and am not disappointed at all with what Tripwire has delivered. They have pulled off a great game and took a big risk by creating a realism game with such a steep learning curve. They have provided wonderful support through countless patches and content updates that most other companies would charge for in an expansion pack. Tripwire has done everything possible to extend the value of RO and I don't think any more should be expected of them.

The only possible exception is perhaps releasing some news about what their next game is. If they did that, it would not only attract more attention towards that project but would also put regular RO in the spotlight, perhaps making more people want to try it out.

Upvote 0