• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Unusually low fps in RO.

Sepultura

Mar 24, 2008
Hi, I just bought Red Orchestra yesterday, and man is it an awesome game. Easily the best WW2 shooter I've ever played. I have been getting an unusually low fps however, considering how my system specs exceed the recommended requirements. (yes, I have gone through the unofficial RO tweaking guide and cleanly reinstalled the latest drivers) Here are my specs:

Windows XP SP2
Intel Pentium 4 3.06 GHz w/ hyperthreading
ATI Radeon HD 3850 256mb 8.3 drivers
1 GB DDR2 RAM

I get about a 22-30 fps average in practice mode on small maps with no bots, but on larger wide open maps even without bots my fps is around 15-20, and a bit lower with 31 bots running around. Now this seems lower than what I should be getting considering I am playing the game on 1024x768 and 75 hz refresh rate.

Here is a link to a screenshot of all my in-game display settings: http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff304/Cowsrcool/specsro.jpg

Here is a link of an instance in Arad with those same settings and 31 bots with a very low fps: http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff304/Cowsrcool/ro.jpg

Thanks for reading and any help is greatly appreciated.

Edit: I also wanted to point out that I can play CoD4 on the same resolution with max settings and it never drops below 50 fps...

Last edited:
Updating Directx didn't help, and even changing the rendering method from direct 3d 9.0 to direct 3d and lowering other settings didn't help one bit. I have no idea what it could be. It's hard to think it being my hardware because I just tested Call of Duty 4 and I get an average of 70 fps. The problem must lie inside the game?

Upvote 0
Yeah, I do have onboard sound. Realtek High Definition Audio. I do have the latest drivers for it. Can integrated sound really hinder my CPU that much? I'll try playing the game with the lowest sound settings possible and see if that makes a difference. It hasn't seemed to cause any problems in any of my newer more demanding games.
Edit: Enabling low quality sound and even completely lowering everything's volume did not change anything.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I know we chatted to you tonight in IRC Sepultura - if the Omega drivers do not help, try changing your sound settings in Red Orchestra to safe mode - someone with Realtek onboard sound did the same and it solved his low FPS problems. If that works play with the sound settings in RO (system driver for example) and see if that helps.

Upvote 0
follow this guide:
http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11052

and make sure you defragment your pc as much as you can (including metadata and especially page file)

Your crulpit is your processor so you can put your graphicscard pretty high without a change in fps (so put it at your monitors native resolution), it should be able to hold everything at the highest with quite some AF and AA. Try disabling hyper treading too it does more bad than good for this game. Put ragdolls and decals at the lowest settings.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
follow this guide:

and make sure you defragment your pc as much as you can (including metadata and especially page file)

Your crulpit is your processor so you can put your graphicscard pretty high without a change in fps (so put it at your monitors native resolution), it should be able to hold everything at the highest with quite some AF and AA. Try disabling hyper treading too it does more bad than good for this game. Put ragdolls and decals at the lowest settings.

Thanks, I've already done the things in your link, and went into my BIOS and disabled hyperthreading but, it didn't change anything at all :(

Last edited:
Upvote 0
follow this guide:

Actually I had this same cpu (in a previous comp) and disabling HT was alot worse for me. I probably had a jump of 5-10 fps in most maps with HT enabled as opposed to disabling it. Disabling HT (if I remember correctly) also lowers the FSB speed with this cpu. Also, I was able to run everything mostly with max settings with my X800 and 2GB ram (and Audigy 2Z soundcard) with decent enough fps, so....:confused:

PS: this is a HOT cpu. How are your temps?

Upvote 0
Yeah, my card is PCIe and I've got PCIe drivers. Well, Hyperthreading is currently disabled but I may as well enable it since I didn't see any performance increase. And I don't think it's my CPU overheating because I've got a giant heatsink attached to it and it even runs Crysis on medium settings better than this.

Upvote 0
Also have this problem.
Intel P4 3.0 GHz, 1,5 GB Ram, ATi X1950 Pro 512 MB, 8x AGP.
When I'm on a server where there are about 30 player or more I always have low (18-20) fps when I near to the fight. Absolutely impossible to play on 50 players server, because the performance is very crap.
Also same on the highest and the lowest graphics.
When I'm alone on a map, no problem, just when play with many players.
I think this game hate 3.0 GHz Intel processors or it is an incompatibility bug in the UT engine.
For example in CoD4 multiplayer I always have 60 fps on max graphics.
Any idea to fix?
Thx!

Upvote 0
My rig:

A64 3200+
1gb ddr400 dual channel
x1950pro 256gddr3 pci-e
xp32bit with integrated final sp3

I tried different settings, messed up the whole ini section, defragged everything(although it's formatted fresh system), without much fps difference. It's playable about 25-35 fps, not bad. The funny thing is i got approximately the same fps on my geforce6600, if not better a little. My current video card has somwhat similar performance as a Gef7900gt in reviews/tests:confused:

Other games run much better, Bioshock 45~fps on maxed.

I think it's about the Unreal engine coded to suck with ATI?. Many players got fps problems in ut2004 past.

Others stated that RO is more CPU intense than VGA. It's true, but what's wrong with a 3.2+ processor?

I tried different graphics drivers from 7.x to the latest 8.5 catalyst. Since the latest drivers since 8.3 i have a slight fps boost, not much. I figured out that the best performance drivers are the oldest releases, however if i stick with those, i have it's drawbacks: I get incompatibilities and different graphical anomalyies in the latest games...

I can live with this, but basically since i "upgraded" my gpu, it has no impact in RO.

So, if you have ATi card try experimenting with different drivers :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Try these.

Try these.

Re-enable Trilinear Filtering in your in game graphics section and uncheck these settings.

Motion Blur
HDR Bloom
Dynamic Lighting

Just work with these 3 settings within your ingame graphics section. I know that Dynamic Lighting used to cause issues in the BF series of games for certain video cards and by unchecking these they will not make much difference graphically in game but could fix your FPS issues. HDR Bloom especially hinders the graphics even with the best of video cards usually causing some maps to be too bright etc. Let us know if anything helps from this and which one if any. If any of this helps by disabling any of those above you then can possibly crank up your other graphics settings.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I almost forgot about this topic, glad I decided to check it. Basically the same thing, I can max CoD4 on 1024x768 with 60 fps+ (same goes with Bioshock and Prey) And when I play RO on 1024x768 I get anywhere from 13-26 fps. So just today I decided to experiment again. Most of my settings except CPU-intense ones are on high. I went online on a 30 player Danzig map and got 19-25 fps. On practice mode on a much larger map (Arad) with 29 bots I get 12-22 fps. Now I went and unchecked absolutely every setting, set everything to minimum and changed the resolution to 800x600 and went back to a 29 bot Arad map. My fps only increased by about 4-5 frames!! Something is definitely wrong here. I have experimented with different drivers and just recently tried the new ATI 8.5 drivers but still nothing changes. This is really bugging me and any help is still greatly appreciated.

I'll re-post my specs:
Win. XP
ATI Radeon HD 3850 8.5 drivers
Pentium 4 3.06
GHz CPU
1 GB DDR2 RAM

Upvote 0